Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Secret to a Number One Registry Set

I just accomplished getting the Current number one Barber Half Dollar set.

Here's how I did it.

1. Build a complete set and end up in third place.

2. Set number two gets sold.

3. Set number one gets sold.

That's how to do it; just numismatically outlive the sets ahead of you.
Dr. Pete

Comments

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    and it helps if you can buy some, most or all of the set above you retiring

congratulations on your new position - do you have plans to pass them in the all-timne list before you retire your set?
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Interesting question. I am real close to passing Dale Friend's set of the ordinary set,and will once I list my new acquisitions; but for the major varieties set with the micro O I still trail Dale by a margin, I think. That said, I see NO way I will ever have a set that surpases Dr. Duckor's. I am very satisfied having the set I have. Am I done? I don't think so. When will I be done? I am not sure, there are at least several coins I would like to have better examples of in my set.

Once done, the journey isn't as much fun. I still want to be doing this for another 10-15 years.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations.

Persistence pays. Especially 16 years worth.

Those population numbers are brutal. So many single digit populations. So many Pop Higher numbers equal to 1.

What a tough series. Of course that toughness makes your accomplishment all the more sweeter.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, congrats. I will be happy once I break into the TOP 5 of the Merc Dime Sets.....in about 30 years. image

Greg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Dr Pete, I am glad you made it to the top and picked off some of those super Duckor halves!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    Just posted my new four halves to my sets, and updated the listings of my sets. Just above Dale Friend as #2 All time for set without micro O, but still in third place all time in set with major variety (micro O).
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That is a true accomplishment. It is only a testament to your patience, preserevance and will for excellence that makes your set a true gem. Congrats
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool, congrats. I will be happy once I break into the TOP 5 of the Merc Dime Sets.....in about 30 years. image

Greg >>

Greg,

You could just make me an offer on my set! image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Very cool, congrats. I will be happy once I break into the TOP 5 of the Merc Dime Sets.....in about 30 years. image

Greg >>

Greg,

You could just make me an offer on my set! image >>

Sure, but you don't have the 35-S/S........ Gotta have standards you know. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    That one is tough for me.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    congrats dr pete

now if you want to be a coin jedi....you need to have a top rated set and not have a penny in it.... and when you do that you will be a coin jedi

monsterman

( jedi ) image

ps...it only takes about 30 years or so but its a lot of fun along the way
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭
    I'm a hopin' & a wishin' that someday my #2 1955 birth year mint set might make current #1. I'll never be able to buy my way there, but could make it by default if #1 retires his set someday. I'll never make #1 of all time, but #2 is not that bad considering.
    Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Peter,

Congratulations on obtaining the number one spot.
    You deserve it with all the hard work you've put into
    that collection. Its been a long process and I can't see
    too many more upgrades for your collection.

YeOldeOne is hot on the trail - and if gets those old
    "soap-bars" crossed into PCGS - he'll be in the # 2
    spot - and bumping me down to # 4... and I have
    my new friend Chugum edging ever so closely... which
    will push me to the # 5 spot [ again...lol ].

Again, congratulations... and please bring Mrs. Shireman to
    all the auctions from now on... you'll surpass the Duckor
    collection alot quicker than you realize !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Congrads! The Barber Half is a "NICE" looking coin. The only design I like better is the Walking Liberty Half but dad says I need a better job before I can get into them image
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>I just accomplished getting the Current number one Barber Half Dollar set.

Here's how I did it.

1. Build a complete set and end up in third place.

2. Set number two gets sold.

3. Set number one gets sold.

That's how to do it; just numismatically outlive the sets ahead of you. >>

Hacking into the Registry computer servers has always worked for me. image
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

JBN:Congratulations. ...Persistence pays.

Keyman:Very cool, congrats.

Georgio:Congratulations Dr Pete, I am glad you made it to the top and picked off some of those super Duckor halves!

As am I, it was fun to view some of the Duckor halves again. In October, I had the pleasure of spending much time examining Dr. Pete's halves, a wonderful experience.

Shireman Finest Known Set of Gem Barber Half Dollars To Be Auctioned

insightful10@gmail.com
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Dr Pete - I see that you are selling your amazing set of Barber halves in 206 FUN. Congratulations on your conquest and I can't wait to view the coins before the auction and maybe with a little luck I will be able to own a couple of them.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Jefferson nickel series, with what has been deemed High Quality and Full Step collectibles and what keeps those top registry sets aloft in the standings, I would never be able to attain the #1 position because many of those pop 1 coins are over-rated with poor strikes and conditions, coins that would not meet the grading standards of my collection. All my coins must have all the details the sculptor hand-carved into his winning design. Of course, the view of his Monticello was altered but......I know I have enjoyed my collection far more than they could because I've had and still have a few of the greatest coins to own. There's a reason why these topsters don't post there wares on the forum.....they would become subjects of debate and some of their coins would lose top status in those debates.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first thing that came to mind when I read the Thread Title...Money...that is what it takes to get to the top of just about anything.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Leo: I would never be able to attain the #1 position because many of those pop 1 coins are over-rated with poor strikes and conditions, coins that would not meet the grading standards of my collection.

Although I have not seen the coins in question, I find Leo's claim quoted above to be plausible. Those who do not always believe that the #1 ranked set is really the best may wish to read my rankings of the top sets of Barber halves and consider my way of thinking.

Shireman Finest Known Set of Gem Barber Half Dollars To Be Auctioned

Understanding Classic U.S. Coins and Building Excellent Coin Collections, Part 2: Dipped Coins

Leo: There's a reason why these topsters don't post there wares on the forum.....they would become subjects of debate and some of their coins would lose top status in those debates.

While I will not comment on the intentions of "these topsters," who I do not know, I personally find discussions relating to the quality of particular coins to be interesting, often educational and healthy for the coin collecting environment. Debates keep more people interested in collecting coins and attract new collectors. Most people do not wish for their respective hobbies to be boring.

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the secret to a #1 all time registry set.

Personally if you have this kind of money, it is not "Hard work" accumulating some of the finest coins money can buy. Basically all you have to do is wait. Time is the biggest obstacle you have to overcome waiting on others to sell.

I admire those that submit their own coins and search countless Mint sets, rolls and coin shows looking for gems.

Just my personal opinion...

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How come he is selling ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Bidask. They are selling to spend the grandkids inheritance.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options

Stooge: Personally if you have this kind of money, it is not "Hard work" accumulating some of the finest coins money can buy. Basically all you have to do is wait. Time is the biggest obstacle you have to overcome waiting on others to sell. I admire those that submit their own coins and search countless Mint sets, rolls and coin shows looking for gems. Just my personal opinion...

I disagree, my professional opinion. Someone who is willing to 'pay any price' to obtain 'top pops' would provide evidence to support Stooge's interpretation of pertinent set-building phenomena. Such people are exceptions, however, rather than constituting a rule.

I know many collectors who were able to assemble exceptional sets without spending that much money, certainly without paying a very strong price each time a needed coin becomes available. It is important to consider strategies regarding allocating budgets in auctions and in regard to negotiating private transactions.

While Greensboro may have had an essentially unlimited budget, Dr. Duckor and Dr. Pete had financial limitations and intelligently allocated budgets, with advice from experts.

Additionally, when I analyze collections, I take factors into consideration beyond certified grades. The wonderful natural tones on many of Dr. Duckor's halves, some of which were acquired by Dr. Pete, are typically not found on many other coins with equivalent certifications. Dr. Duckor developed a fantastic 'eye' for coins, a talent that money cannot buy.

The Dazzling Collecting Journey of Dr. Steven Duckor

Although I hardly know Dr. Pete, and cannot comment on the workings of his mind, there are some fabulous coins in his collection that many collectors with more money did not understand and will not understand. It is wrong for Stooge to suggest that 'all it takes is money.' It is important to learn about quality, pedigrees, and the history of coin collecting to appreciate great coins, great sets and epic collections.

Understanding Classic U.S. Coins and Building Excellent Coin Collections, Part 2: Dipped Coins

The Specter of Coin Doctoring and The Survival of Great Coins

It is not unusual for coin collectors to wish to learn about and discuss coins that they cannot afford. Indeed, I strongly believe that, to understand the coins that are affordable and the culture of coin collecting, there is need to learn about unaffordable coins.

insightful10@gmail.com

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Stooge
    Here is the secret to a #1 all time registry set.

Personally if you have this kind of money, it is not "Hard work" accumulating some of the finest coins money can buy. Basically all you have to do is wait. Time is the biggest obstacle you have to overcome waiting on others to sell.

I admire those that submit their own coins and search countless Mint sets, rolls and coin shows looking for gems.

Just my personal opinion...

Well, here's my personal opinion, while having the disposable cash is important, it is vital that one knows how to grade a series. Otherwise, he could end up with many subpar coins like so many here have in the Jefferson nickel series. If I were buying high priced coins, I would be asking myself, where is Thomas Jefferson? Where is the Monticello? Is this an early strike with all the details intended by the sculptor? But if you end up with coins with missing details to the point where the coin looks like mush, there are some serious problems occurring with that collector's ability to recognize a high quality coin and therefore he is NOT accumulating some, if any, of the finest coins money can buy.

On your money pic, is that around 18 million?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Analyst above has recorded some important observations about collecting, and they apply to all levels, not just gem Barber half dollars. As I was building my Barber half dollar set, I learned a lot along the way. It was 22 years between buying my first mint state coin and completing it in its current state. In the beginning, there were some expensive lessons at the School of Hard Knocks. Countless hours were spent looking at coins, reading available literature, going to coin shows, and talking to dealers. Learning how to grade is paramount. It is important to learn whom to trust, whom to learn from. One improves numismatic knowledge a lot by becoming immersed in the study of the coins, their history, auction records, etc. Lots of coins should be looked at to gain experience in grading and seeing what is available over time. Experts are a great help in finding out the subtle differences in coins graded the same numeric grade by third-party grading companies. The addition of CAC evaluation of coins, which occurred well after commencing my set building, is a service which offers additional professional opinions on coins; I find this service to be very helpful. About two-thirds of my coins garnered the green stickers from CAC when looked at earlier this year. That is a high-percentage and helps me feel justified that I had good guidance in selecting the coins. My mentor, coin dealer Harry Laibstain taught me a lot about what separates average from outstanding coins. It takes study, patience, connections, and luck to put together high-quality sets, no matter what grade you are targeting. Sometimes the cost difference between average and outstanding coins is negligent or non-existent, other times it is huge. There were coins we really stretched the budget to obtain. This includes coins like the 1904-S, the 1892-O micro O, and most of the coins obtained from the Hugon auction. Coins from Steve Duckor's set such as the 1895-S and 1907 were also coins that required stretching the budget. Other coins, like the 1901-S, the 1896-O, and the 1908 just came along at a very reasonable price. I cannot emphasize enough, though, how much fun I have had in the journey that involved putting together this set.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

Leo: ... while having the disposable cash is important, it is vital that one knows how to grade a series. Otherwise, he could end up with many subpar coins ....

Of course, Leo is correct in his statement here, but he ignored my main points above. Numerical grade, striking detail and money are not the only factors. As I just said, I know many collectors who were able to assemble exceptional sets without spending that much money, certainly without paying a very strong price each time a needed coin becomes available. ... While Greensboro may have had an essentially unlimited budget, Dr. Duckor and Dr. Pete had financial limitations and intelligently allocated budgets, with advice from experts.

Additionally, when I analyze collections, I take factors into consideration beyond certified grades and beyond striking detail of the respective coins. I emphasize again that the wonderful natural tones on many of Dr. Duckor's halves, some of which were acquired by Dr. Pete, are typically not found on many other coins with equivalent certifications. Dr. Duckor developed a fantastic 'eye' for coins, a talent that money cannot buy.

Dr. Pete: Analyst above has recorded some important observations about collecting, and they apply to all levels, not just gem Barber half dollars.

I am not sure that I would use the same words, apply to all levels, in regard to all coin collecting pursuits. Certainly, in the context of classic U.S. coins that are at least somewhat scarce, allocation of budgets, organization of a collection, and an eye for toning and other characteristics are central to the building of an impressive collection. I have seen some horrid or irritating collections auctioned that cost a lot of money. Not long ago, a major auction firm sold a set of Indian Head eagles, with high certified grades, that was awful. Most of the coins were doctored or annoying for other reasons. It is likely that the consignor spent a vast sum in total on the coins.

Dr. Pete: As I was building my Barber half dollar set, I learned a lot along the way. It was 22 years between buying my first mint state coin and completing it in its current state. In the beginning, there were some expensive lessons at the School of Hard Knocks. Countless hours were spent looking at coins, reading available literature, going to coin shows, and talking to dealers. Learning how to grade is paramount. It is important to learn whom to trust, whom to learn from. One improves numismatic knowledge a lot by becoming immersed in the study of the coins, their history, auction records, etc. Lots of coins should be looked at to gain experience in grading and seeing what is available over time. Experts are a great help in finding out the subtle differences in coins graded the same numeric grade by third-party grading companies.

Hopefully, many collectors will read Dr. Pete's words. As most collectors do not really have the time to learn how to grade or to attend many auctions, some of the other pieces of advice may be more important, especially finding numismatists to trust and to learn from, which may not always be the same people. It is important to ask questions. Also, as Dr. Pete says,study, patience, connections, and luck are ingredients that money cannot buy.

Dr. Pete: I cannot emphasize enough, though, how much fun I have had in the journey that involved putting together this set.

I am glad to read this statement. Building a collection is and should be enjoyable.

The Dazzling Collecting Journey of Dr. Steven Duckor

insightful10@gmail.com