Home Autographs Forum

George Brett auto

Would it be worthwhile to have a George Brett autographed 8x10 reviewed under the current special?? Got it several years ago at a show here in Cleveland that was sponsered in part by Bob Feller at the Cleveland Sheraton Airport hotel.....I've heard he doesn't autograph a lot and was wondering if having it slabbed and graded would be something that would increase the value. Also thought I'd give this new forum a try.....

al.

Comments

• Hi and welcome image

To be honest, those papers mean nothing to me - especially these last years considering some of the stuff being slabbed by some of those services and the lawsuits. A signed Brett jersey or even a DS can be had at auction for a touch over $110 - what would you spend to authenticate a not rare or truly scarce photo? Signed cards sell for around $30 or so. Prices online do not reflecting reality IMHO.

Best,
    Eric
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the info Eric, sounds like a $20 investment in having the auto authenticated and slabbed would be a good thing....even if I keep the 8x10 for my own collection. al.
  • Hi there Alnavman image

Please, please tell me what you think of THIS:

Slabbed "Gleason"

Best,
    Eric
  • delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    And away we go!
  • Yeah, and "...leave it there the cat will get it."

But, it is a well known secretarial and slabbed.

Eric
    that is a pretty awesome auto....al.
  • Hi Guys,

Very good! image that is not a secretarial but a very unusual and non-typical C.1960 transitional Gleason. There are some very weird areas, but it is genuine. You are the first two people in here for 4 years or so that are able to voice opinions! Lets talk about what shows it to be genuine...

Best,
    Eric
    I think that the reason no one frequented this area before is that few knew about it....I just recently discovered it when the new site format came out.....wish I could comment on the nuances of the auto but I am not one that has experience identifying fakes or fraudulent auto's.....but I like the Gleason auto due in large part to the nice photo that goes along with it...probably since all my memories of him were from the honeymooners and his show which were in b&w.

al.
  • Hi L)

Ah, I have collected everyone from Garland to Gleason & Leigh and Burton strongly for over 11 years. I have been involved with authentication for a long time in another collecting area where I am part of a team. We never charge for our services in that arena - but have put several larger forgers in touch with the *** and these folks now spend long days in small rooms. I will try and post my unique Honeymooner's rehearsals photographs - many claim Gleason did not rehearse...but he did. I have him with Carney and Meadows in a mock kitchen with glasses reading away and blocking stuff in. I should add over at the BST forum that I have several Gleason and Carney items from the 1950's on - and none approach even 1/3 of what that overpriced stuff at eBay is "going for" - (the never seem at those prices). Ebay - nearly 90% fake and still going strong! And yes, I have seen many fakes in slabs from many services as I am sure you have. It is like buying coins - I collected proof Seated and Barbers and Mercs too. If one cant grade MS?Pr coins or spot AT and relies on a little tiny slip of paper...one is going to get burnt. At least the grantee with coins is there - the "big service" with signatures and SP's - guarantees nothing at all despite the fee. And yet it is still an opinion, just like coin grading......how long will I be here I don't know. I still suggest Google and authentication service while I can. Research! image Mastronet LOA....changes...

Best,
    Eric
    getting back to the original topic, here he is: I'm happy with the result

• Ho,

OUCH - you let them put that sticker on your item?
    it's bad enough no dealer I know will buy sports, or anyone living for that matter, but hardly anyone will buy anything with that sticker on it. Do you know how many items have been ruined by the sticker staining through or being placed in a bad spot? Now that you have the PSA/DNA paperwork, why should someone pay anything extra for an opinion backed by nothing, no guarantee of any kind, for a common signature "authenticated" by a third party service.. Look into Perez Steele, who was in a coma and died before the HOF 41 were released, yet there are slabbed cards "signed" buy him with the "those papers" from "these companies"....ask Lance Armstrong about the over 275 (fake) signed items and "these papers" you speak of.
    Eric
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>getting back to the original topic, here he is: I'm happy with the result

image >>

How much is this service and do you need a separate subscription to this service if you already have a pcgs account? Thanks
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • HI,

that info is in the thread re cost.

Eric