Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Check out my new Rickey RC!

Today, I busted my first vending box, 1980 Topps. About half the cards had at least one corner ding, and centering was pretty bad on most of the box.

But I think I got pretty lucky with the Rickey I pulled. Do you guys think this one could pull a 9?

Comments

• Options
    Should have a good shot I would think.
  • Options
    I say an 8 at best. Looks a little tilted. Sometimes it's hard to see a tilt until you scan it andlook at the scan.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am with Bill.

60/40 centering and a small touch on the top right corner. Very strong card and I give it a NM-MT 8 grade.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO - the slight tilt is not that bad - I see 3 - "9" corners and one "8" - so it has a nice shot at 8.5 or on a really, really good day - perhaps a 9 - but doubtful. That's if there's no surface problems - the very slight snow doesn't detract IMO.

If this were graded by one of the old-timers like Pologrounds - he would have it in SCD as a 9 IMO.

Good luck on your sub!
    Mike
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    nice pull. looks great from vending.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I've seen worse 9's as far as the centering and tilt, but you're not 4sc so your chances are slim.

Good luck and great card. image
  • Options
    That's a great card, I've always liked it.

1980 Topps is one of the few years that I've never busted any wax or vending from. I also like the yellow a's jersey henderson has on. Its modern and cool for 1980. And just a cool action shot.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I was born on 9/9, so I gotta go with my birthday on this one!

Nice pull.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a solid 8, but nice pull from a vending box!
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    17985550 MINT 9 1980 TOPPS 482 RICKEY HENDERSON

Word!!!!
  • Options
    very nice!!!
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>17985550 MINT 9 1980 TOPPS 482 RICKEY HENDERSON

Word!!!! >>

imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    GOOD JOB.. Worth a review or 2 for a 10 I say
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>17985550 MINT 9 1980 TOPPS 482 RICKEY HENDERSON
    Word!!!! >>

WTG! Nice grade! With a price of $150+ on that card it will more than pay for the vending box.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    2nd thought.. the pd on the face makes it a 9
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the 9!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Rickey says Rickey will look good in that holder.
  • Options
    Congrats!!
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Gumby's a crybaby.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    Great Job!

how much was the v-box?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, that is a really nice looking RC.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    This is good news. Congrats. One of the most sought after cards of the modern era.

Most people here knew it could be an 8 or 8.5, with an outside shot at a 9. The centering is within the parameters of a psa 9 easily, so that was never the issue. The top right corner was suspect, the print dots and the tilt. For a psa 10, it really cannot have print dots and the tilt is also questionable. However, that tilt is so common on this card, but yours is not so bad.

Its a handsome card overall. Keep it if you like it, otherwise, selling it is no problem even in this recession.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    I had 2 from 1 vending box in which dups do not appear often both were graded PSA 8.

Good looking Ricky maybe 8.5
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Good looking Ricky maybe 8.5 >>

Tony ... pm sent! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Gumby's a crybaby. >>

CrimsonTider adds nothing but nonsense to this site.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Nice grade. Did you pick up the vending from BBCE or other?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    I had predicted this was an 8 when you first started the thread.

I will admit when I opened it today and saw the picture I thought the card was mint.

When you posted your excellent grade I completely agreed with the determination.

Very nice pull and very nice work on the submission.

Great card!
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had predicted this was an 8 when you first started the thread.

I will admit when I opened it today and saw the picture I thought the card was mint.

When you posted your excellent grade I completely agreed with the determination.

Very nice pull and very nice work on the submission.

Great card! >>

David, wait...so you predicted an 8, but then agreed with the 9. Should I really be trusting my stock portfolio to you?

• Options
    If you think predicting a sports cards grade and a stock are similar then no you should not.

He posted a pic and if you look at the early comments I made you will see why I indicated I thought it was an 8.

I saw the scan today and it looked very strong and after seeing more cards in 9 holders I do think it is a 9.

I was admitting I was wrong and if that some how correlates to being poor at my profession then so be.

Most collectors don't realize how strong an 8 is.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a reason why there are only ten PSA 10s, out of 10,334 total graded... and if anyone knows why, please let me know.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you think predicting a sports cards grade and a stock are similar then no you should not.

He posted a pic and if you look at the early comments I made you will see why I indicated I thought it was an 8.

I saw the scan today and it looked very strong and after seeing more cards in 9 holders I do think it is a 9.

I was admitting I was wrong and if that some how correlates to being poor at my profession then so be.

Most collectors don't realize how strong an 8 is. >>

Most collectors also have no idea as to the opportunity cost of not collecting wrestling cards. They're all a bunch of minions anyway. They don't appreciate the finer things in life, like fine automobiles and some nice fake boobies. It's lonely at the top of the pyramid.

• Options
    You are late to the insult party. It has ended.

• Options
    looks like at least a 9 and a shot at a 10.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    David's not the only one who predicted it was at best an 8.......image

Billwalton, congrats on getting the 9. I saw you had 2 graded, one an 8 the other the 9.

Are you positive the example we are talking about received the 9?

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw you had 2 graded, one an 8 the other the 9.

Are you positive the example we are talking about received the 9?

Steve >>

yes I'm positive. The other one had a slightly jagged edge on the bottom right. It's centered better than the 9 though, and I was hoping I might get an 8.5 on it.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    BillW

Thanks for the reply, I just wanted to make sure we all were on the same page here.

Good for you.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>There's a reason why there are only ten PSA 10s, out of 10,334 total graded... and if anyone knows why, please let me know. >>

The other 10,324 were cracks and resubs and the report is off?
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq