Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry luncheon info: Coin Sniffer and HOF

(Note: Also posted in U.S. Coin Forum.)

For those who did not attend the PCGS Set Registry luncheon in Boston, here are links to two announcements made at the event.

PCGS President Don Willis provided the audience with an update on plans to begin using the PCGS Coin Sniffer.
PCGS Coin Sniffer Uses Advanced Technology to Detect "Doctored" Coins

Collectors Universe President and PCGS Co-Founder David Hall announced creation of a new HOF to honor the achievements of remarkable dealers, past and present.
Six Named to Inaugural Class of PCGS CoinFacts Dealer Hall of Fame

-donn-
Who's had so much lobster and shrimp this week in Boston that my formerly 160 cholesterol level probably now is the same number as Ty Cobb's lifetime batting average.....
"If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....

Comments

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    This was my first PCGS Luncheon and it was nice to be a part of the event and meet a few Forum folks.

The PCGS Coin Sniffer concept will make an interesting addition to the many doctoring techniques out there. A question that I did not think about until after the session is: For the many coins that bag as "Altered Surfaces", will the Sniffer possibly confirm that some are really not altered and are naturally toned? The Sniffer is designed to detect many chemical elements that are used to modify toning. If a coin that does not show any of these trace elements, maybe some of those coins should be awared a grade?

Thoughts?

Also, the food was great. However, one suggestion for those that attend one of these luncheons, don't eat a big breakfast!
  • Options