Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Did you guys know that......another asterick for Roger Maris *

Jim Gentile ended one RBI behind Maris in 1962..an official scorer discovered Maris was given a RBI that was on a error..this was discovered about 10 -12 years ago...finally major league baseball took the RBI away from Maris and Gentile has now tied him for A.L Leader 1962..I was at the Oriole game last friday night and they presented Gentile with a check for 5000.00 dollars..(not sure if it was from the orioles as a bonus in his contract or from MLB. I think the orioles). It will be interesting to see Maris's RBI total change on the new issue topps cards. I was surprised that "someone' is checking the score card of a season that was played almost 50 years ago. Baseball is such a great game.
Scott

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Jim Gentile ended one RBI behind Maris in 1962..an official scorer discovered Maris was given a RBI that was on a error..this was discovered about 10 -12 years ago...finally major league baseball took the RBI away from Maris and Gentile has now tied him for A.L Leader 1962..I was at the Oriole game last friday night and they presented Gentile with a check for 5000.00 dollars..(not sure if it was from the orioles as a bonus in his contract or from MLB. I think the orioles). It will be interesting to see Maris's RBI total change on the new issue topps cards. I was surprised that "someone' is checking the score card of a season that was played almost 50 years ago. Baseball is such a great game.
    Scott >>

I think it is a great story...it was posted here a couple times.

Not sure if that is a reference of baseball being great however. Perhaps it more is a reference of MLB at the time screwing the little guy and giving the award to the popular player, as this newly discovered evidence...was not ever hidden. Either MLB did not look at the time...or looked the other way.

Edit to add, the $5,000 was what the original Orioles owner would have given Gentile in addition to the larger salary he signed the following year. The owner told him, if he had led in RBI's it would be worth another $5,000. The current owner, who presented the check, is the original owner's son...so they made up for it.

Funny part...since you were there at the time. Gentile was suppose to throw the opening pitch...but was so excited (and he was beaming with his grandson with him), he forgot.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I was reading that there was never an actual asterick next to Roger Maris' name in the record book. They had 2 separate records for him and for Babe Ruth. One for each different length season.

After watching the movie 61* by Billy Crystal you really feel sorry for Maris. He went through H*ll that season.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    Still only $5k? He should get interest on that too! Figure that untouched money in an interest-bearing account doubles every ten years, so that's about $160k due now...
    Thank you,
    Jonathan Scheier
    Cataloger - Consignment Director
    Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
    JonathanS@HA.com
    1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at Consign to Heritage Auctions

Connect with Heritage at Connect with Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    It's "asterisk".
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Happy 79th birthday Roger!
  • Options

<< <i>Still only $5k? He should get interest on that too! Figure that untouched money in an interest-bearing account doubles every ten years, so that's about $160k due now... >>

+1
    Just like an oriole owner to cheap out.

Still nothing takes away from what Maris did in early 60's as a Yankee.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Where can I get a 50 year loan with no interest? Still a cool story.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    He does not get the interest on that money for 50 years because that would assume that Jim did not pay taxes on the $5000 and a huge assumption that he actually invested it back in 1962. Don't kid yourself he would have spent the money just like you did on your last paycheck.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases