Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Genuine coin not slabbed in the Registry?

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've gotten a coin back from pcgs which is 'graded' genuine cleaned code 92. It was not slabbed or cracked from it's 2nd tier slab. It came back with a blue label seperate with the coin number code and cert number. It appears I cannot enter this number in inventory and hence not into the registry. Is the policy for genuine 'slabbed' pcgs coins vs genuine coins That have went through pcgs but NOT pcgs slabbed different?

Comments

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    If it is in a PCGS holder, it can be used in the Registry. What it sounds like happened is you tried crossing it, and had a minimum grade on it. It didn't meet minimum grade due to the cleaning, and PCGS returned it in the original holder, with an insert specifying it was cleaned. Is that right? If so, you cannot use the label in the Registry, you have to send it back to PCGS to be put in a Genuine holder.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • I concur. You used to see these older style "bodybags" being sold on eBay along with the PCGS "external" insert side by side with the coin. Many times PCGS just used a sticker with the info and attached it to (the) 2x2 flip the coin was sent in in.
  • Email BJ she'll fix it for you
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Email BJ she'll fix it for you >>

Fix what body bags have never been allowed in the registry.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Genuine slabbed coins ARE allowed in the Registry. They fill the spot, but you don't get any points since there is no grade. I personally think they should net grade them. They are not junk.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So could the coin and label be returned and the coin be put into a slab? Or would this need to be a seperate grading event
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should have checked "Holder Genuine Only Coins" on the submissiom form image
    GrandAm :)
  • Actually, they holder them by default; the check box is "do not holder genuine-only coins." It sounds as though it was a minimum grade issue.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    or cracked from it's 2nd tier slab

why did you send a coin in a 2nd tier slab?

some slabs are difficult to open, and PCGS would risk much to try
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will have to resubmit it RAW a second time for grading to get it into a Genuine or maybe a regular slabimage. And as a side note DO NOT use the Secure+ grading system as they DO NOT slab those as Genuine either.