Home Sports Talk

Mets closer Rodriguez charged with assault

stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
Mets closer Rodriguez charged with assault

By BEN WALKER, AP Baseball Writer Ben Walker, Ap Baseball Writer – 50 mins ago

NEW YORK – Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez was charged with third-degree assault late Wednesday night after scuffling with his father-in-law at Citi Field, police said.

Rodriguez was arrested and being held at the ballpark early Thursday, police said. His father-in-law was in a hospital with a scrape on his face and a bump on his head.

"There was an incident at the ballpark between Francisco Rodriguez and his family. He was questioned by police and all other questions pertaining to this matter can be addressed to police," Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz said.

Several security guards, along some women and children, were seen around the Mets' family lounge near the clubhouse after New York's 6-2 loss to Colorado. Rodriguez's father-in-law had swelling above his right eyebrow.

Rodriguez has had previous confrontations with a team official, a coach and an opponent in his 1 1/2 seasons with the Mets, though none of them reached this level.

The excitable, 28-year-old pitcher signed a three-year, $37 million contract with the Mets after posting a record 62 saves with the Angels in 2008. He is 4-2 with 25 saves and a 2.24 ERA this season.

Rodriguez did not pitch in the Mets' latest loss, which dropped them below .500. Reliever Manny Acosta gave up a two-out grand slam to Melvin Mora in the eighth inning.

In May, Rodriguez and bullpen coach Randy Niemann got into a heated exchange while the pitcher was preparing to enter a game. Mets manager Jerry Manuel later said the matter was resolved, without divulging what caused the dispute.

In July 2009, Rodriguez and former Mets official Tony Bernazard argued aboard the team bus. Bernazard was later fired by the Mets amid several allegations.

That June, Rodriguez and New York Yankees reliever Brian Bruney needed to be separated before a game. They had jawed at each other in the media a day earlier.

Comments

• He should of vomited on the guy, and then slashed his tires afterwards.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He should of vomited on the guy, and then slashed his tires afterwards. >>

Really a pathetic "analogy" - this is a player, and is a major reason the Mets with their mercenaries don't win championships. They sign players from statistics, rather than player heart and team chemistry...and I for one hope the Mets continue to so exactly as they have been doing...it means easier competition for my Phillies for NL East titles. Ha! Ha!
  • Hey at least someone on the team is hitting.

Now, he gets sent to the other pen.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
    <<< Hey at least someone on the team is hitting. >>>

Big League Stew ShareretweetEmailPrintWed Aug 11 10:11pm PDT

Mets' Rodriguez arrested, charged with assault on father-in-law
    By David Brown

Wrong kind of punch-out, K-Rod.

Police arrested Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez after Wednesday night's game at Citi Field and charged with assaulting his father-in-law, police sources told the New York Daily News and others. The Mets said Thursday that they have suspended the reliever for two days.

The Daily News said Rodriguez and his father-in-law brawled in a tunnel between a family room and the Mets clubhouse shortly after the Colorado Rockies scored a 6-2 victory. Rodriguez's father-in-law suffered facial abrasions and was taken by ambulance to Flushing Hospital about 10:15 p.m.

Investigators believe Rodriguez threw at least one punch. K-Rod, known for his emotional outbursts on the mound, was charged with third-degree assault. He was detained and processed at Citi Field's own police precinct, and arraignment reportedly comes Thursday morning at Queens Criminal Court.

In a statement, the Mets mostly deferred to police.

"There was an incident between Francisco Rodriguez and his family tonight at the ballpark," said Jay Horwitz, the Mets' VP of media relations, in a verbal statement. "He was questioned by police. All other questions pertaining to this incident will be referred to the police department."

This Mets news comes the same day a woman announced she is suing Johan Santana(notes) for rape.

Rodriguez, 28, did not pitch Wednesday, but apparently was surly when he was asked why by reporters. Moments later, a scuffle broke out.

Via the Daily News:

When approached and asked about the scene in the hallway, the visibly angry Rodriguez snapped, "Mind your own [bleeping] business," to a reporter who witnessed the altercation.

The Mets have a 56-57 record and stand 9 1/2 games out of first place in the NL East — all of which takes on significantly less importance when compared with alleged criminal activity by their players.

Rodriguez has converted 25 of 30 opportunities and has a 2.24 ERA, a 1.154 WHIP and 67 strikeouts in 56 1/3 innings this season.

Rumor has it the Mets will soon be recruiting players from the UFC.
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Wait a sec I messed up.

There, fixed it.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is a player, and is a major reason the Mets with their mercenaries don't win championships.

This statement might be more interesting if most of the Mets lineup were not home grown...the Phillies have more star players from other teams than the Mets at this point..

Of course, SteveK posts this same statement more often than a parrot says "Polly want a cracker," no matter what the topic is..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>this is a player, and is a major reason the Mets with their mercenaries don't win championships.

This statement might be more interesting if most of the Mets lineup were not home grown...the Phillies have more star players from other teams than the Mets at this point..

Of course, SteveK posts this same statement more often than a parrot says "Polly want a cracker," no matter what the topic is.. >>

Grote15 after all these years may finally realize the difference between star players and mercenaries. The Phillies have star players as Grote15 noted, while the Mets have too many mercenary players as I have noted. Francisco Rodriguez is just another Mets mercenary player, high salary and in this case with good stats, seemingly an asset to a team...but the above story shows otherwise.

Now if only I can get WinPitcher to understand this, my work on this subject will be done. LOL

• Ed Wade will pick him up and team him with Brett Myers.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who needs a closer when you're hurling back to back complete game shutouts?!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.