peacockcoins

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Your photo seems a bit dark.
    Is that on purpose? >>

the best term I can use to describe my methodology is "random"
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chocolate . . . a tad crusty on the reverse, and looks nice. I certainly wouldn't spend it, if that's what you were thinking . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Your photo seems a bit dark.
    Is that on purpose? >>

the best term I can use to describe my methodology is "random" >>

I agree, when it comes to circulated copper. Tough as the dickens.

Using a black background vs a white background seems to help for me.

peacockcoins

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you playing with big coins? Is this a stealth series for you?

Nice ones so far, do you have any of the classic series?
  • Options

<< <i>Why are you playing with big coins? Is this a stealth series for you?

Nice ones so far, do you have any of the classic series? >>

these are my brother's coins. I will image my classic head large cents one of these days (have 18 of the 19 varieties so far)
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why are you playing with big coins? Is this a stealth series for you?

Nice ones so far, do you have any of the classic series? >>

these are my brother's coins. I will image my classic head large cents one of these days (have 18 of the 19 varieties so far) >>

[vadervoice]IMPRESSIVE[/vadervoice]
  • Options
    OK guys - a "newby" question here.

I have one 1808/6 Large Cent. Its VF (raw) and in my Type Collection.

Redbook lists two varieties; Small 7 over 6 - blunt 1, and the Large 7 over 6 - pointed 1. I have the pointed 1 variety.

Heritage "My Collection" software shows these by Sheldon Number - 272 or 273.

So my question is - can one of you tell me which Sheldon Number goes with which Redbook variety? Or where is an online source to view this?
    WTB: 19th Century Type - MS63 PCGS
  • Options

<< <i>OK guys - a "newby" question here.

I have one 1807/6 Large Cent. Its VF (raw) and in my Type Collection.

Redbook lists two varieties; Small 7 over 6 - blunt 1, and the Large 7 over 6 - pointed 1. I have the pointed 1 variety.

So my question is - can one of you tell me which Sheldon Number goes with which Redbook variety? Or where is an online source to view this? >>

WTB: 19th Century Type - MS63 PCGS
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    >>

these are my brother's coins. I will image my classic head large cents one of these days (have 18 of the 19 varieties so far) >>

So you found one of the 1811s at the show?
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options

<< <i> >>

So you found one of the 1811s at the show? >>

yes, got the overdate from Tom Reynolds. I'd say it's a VG (EAC)
  • Options
    Very cool! one more to goimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    I wish I had the S287, I would give it to you so that we could see the entire set.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK guys - a "newby" question here.

So my question is - can one of you tell me which Sheldon Number goes with which Redbook variety? Or where is an online source to view this? >>

Hi old man, I mean Dan. Welcome!

I'm sure you can get that question answered here, by early copper experts here (I'm not one of them...Bill, are you listening?). But you should start a new topic because it may not be noticed, buried here.
    Lance.
  • Options

The 1807/6 pointed 1 variety is the more common S-273 Pointed one/large 7 variety.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    This is one of my favorite overdate coins of all time. Bold and brilliant

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Stone: <<This is one of my favorite overdate coins of all time. Bold and brilliant>>!

I hope that Stone and others who agree with his point here had a chance, at some point, to view the full red 1807/6 that was just auctioned at the ANA Convention. It is something else!

It is interesting that it was sold in 1999 as part of a collection, which was formed by the late Juan Suros, that distinguished itself as being devoted to overdates. Does anyone here recollect other such collections of overdates, including copper, silver and gold? Suros had an 1825/4 Half Eagle and the finest known 1817/4 half dollar, among other treasures.

Is the Naftzger-Blay 1807/6 the only Gem Quality & Full Red ‘Early Date’ Large Cent?

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stone was banned here well over a year ago so not sure he'll see you view recommendation?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stone was banned here well over a year ago so not sure he'll see you view recommendation? >>

I don't think that matters to that person....it's more a chance to resurrect an OLD thread in order to promote an article he wrote.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

1) The reasons for resurrecting an old thread are both fair and obvious, IMO. This thread is about 1807/6 cents. The most exciting 1807/6 thread was just auctioned and is 'in the news' now!

Most of those who participated in this thread probably subscribed to it and have already indicated an interest in 1807/6 cents. It makes sense to communicate about 1807/6 cents to those who have already shown an interest in 1807/6 cents.

Also, others who are now interested in 1807/6 cents may wish to read remarks put forth about 1807/6 cents by fellow collectors in the past. It is logical for this thread to have been resurrected.

2) People who have been banned can read threads. Anybody with Internet access and a web browser can read this thread. Some people who have been banned have friends who are current members. Besides, in some cases, banned members are re-admitted.

3) I did NOT just post a link to an article, which is educational. I put forth remarks that are NOT in the article and I asked a fair question, which was directed to members of this forum, about perspectives on collections of overdates.

<It is interesting that it was sold in 1999 as part of a collection, which was formed by the late Juan Suros, that distinguished itself as being devoted to overdates. Does anyone here recollect other such collections of overdates, including copper, silver and gold? Suros had an 1825/4 Half Eagle and the finest known 1817/4 half dollar, among other treasures.>

Is the Naftzger-Blay 1807/6 the only Gem Quality & Full Red ‘Early Date’ Large Cent?
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file