Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Should there be a "key" coin registry set?

It could be comprised of a limited number (1-3) coins from each major set and include everything from a 1909-S VDB cent to an 1804 dollar. Most likely, no set would ever be close to 100% complete. However on the plus side, there would be wide open competition, great variety between sets, and no one would have to worry about ending up with a five dollar coin in a 10 dollar slab.
"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people collect type sets using the key dates from each series. I am trying to do it but its getting kinda spendy.image
  • Options
    I'd love to see images from the sets you propose. However I don't think there will be many players. And think of the arguments about which unique coin was rarer than the other image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spectrum's type set is composed of many super key dates (tho they did settle for an 1884 trade dollar vice an 1885)!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another approach would be to do what Linda's Daddy is apparently trying to do. He's building the ESD set out of better varieties. I noticed a lot of R.5's and better in there.

Interesting...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Steve:

This brings up an area that has always puzzled me. Why do some people collect a key date to a set they have no intent on building. Look at all the 09-S VDBs in MS65 that change hands. How many are building Lincoln sets in 65. Is it a quick way to feel like they have the set, kinda like "If I have the key's it's like having the whole set"

Most key dates are very inflated based upon availability not because they are needed to complete sets but because people buy them wanting to only own the "key" date.

There are usually enough keys to go around for the number of sets being built. It's the people buying "keys" only that inflate the prices.

So, What's up with that??

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coynclecter,

A key is the key because of its special desirability. When you get a nice common date, people might say that it's nice and admire at it. But, it's still common and you'll find that it'll be a buyer's market when it comes to sell. A key date, on the other hand, is always in a seller's market because of the special demand for it.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    coynclecter,

I think the answer to your question is that every collector is also a closet dealer (i.e. they want to buy coins which in the future they will be able to sell at a profit). A good example is the Washington quarter set. Unless they're in the highest grade, only the 32-D/S have much potential for appreciation. Thus, there are a lot of people who will only buy these coins.

I don't think what I'm suggesting will add to this "problem." It will just let people show what they already have.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Steve
    I think it would be great.The only thing is it would be some BIG $ people in it.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns