Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who is/was "rarecoincollector" on eBay?

ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looks like a big dealer who is no longer registered? Does anyone know which dealer this was/is?

Thanks,

- Ian
Ian Russell
Owner/Founder GreatCollections
GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Comments

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Isn't that Ft Lauderdale Rare Coins ?

What happened?
  • Options
    Only that they are not a registered user on eBay - there can be many reasons for that, including them just using another account. But just wondering who they were.
    Ian Russell
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>Only that they are not a registered user on eBay - there can be many reasons for that, including them just using another account. But just wondering who they were. >>

Send me that Morgan and I'll tell all.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    they had 24K+ transactions and close to 20K feedback

and feedback stopped on June 24

NARU'd by eBay is usually an issue over fee payment

if they have multiple accounts and stop using, does not show as 'not a registered user'

I do not know if a user can close their own account
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    Isn't that Ft Lauderdale Rare Coins ?

It is..
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I do not know if a user can close their own account >>

A user can elect to close their own account, and some do in protest when fleaBay raises fees. It is not an easy process just looking through fleaBay, but if you look up "how to close an eBay account" in google you can do it.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I purchased a couple of nice World coins from them in the past and was very happy with the service.
    Its a shame they're no longer listing on ebay.

• Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>

<< <i>

A user can elect to close their own account, and some do in protest when fleaBay raises fees. It is not an easy process just looking through fleaBay, but if you look up "how to close an eBay account" in google you can do it. >>

....you can say that again , it's not an easy process - kinda like trying to cancel a Credit Card account - a real pain in the as
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Member id rarecoincollector ( 19091) Not a registered user
    Positive Feedback (last 12 months): 99.8%
    [How is Feedback Percentage calculated?]

rarecoincollector ( Feedback Score Of 19091) 10 years 1 month FL,United States About me
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe his association with ebay had reached the point of "marginal utility".
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    They listed some unique gold pieces. I've been looking for them now I know why I have not seen their listings lately.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may be starting over with a new account in preparation for paypal having to report sales to IRS in 2011. Nothing like a fresh new start to kill off all the old data. image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Isn't that Ft Lauderdale Rare Coins ?

What happened? >>

Yes.

It is RUMORED that they are NARU for a year (also heard 6 months) for shilling auctions.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

A user can elect to close their own account, and some do in protest when fleaBay raises fees. It is not an easy process just looking through fleaBay, but if you look up "how to close an eBay account" in google you can do it. >>

....you can say that again , it's not an easy process - kinda like trying to cancel a Credit Card account - a real pain in the as >>

Seriously?
    It is about three clicks away.
    Simply go to the help in the upper right corner of every eBay page, click it and type, "close account". A new page loads and bing bang boom, you click and close your account. Would take all of 15 seconds.
    I don't see how eBay could make it any simpler.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Little birdie in California told me that ebay now has the capability to be automatically notified when one account bids on another account that has the same phone number or street address.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Little birdie in California told me that ebay now has the capability to be automatically notified when one account bids on another account that has the same phone number or street address. >>

They're better equipped than that. They have a spybot that will identify IP address of bidders in the case of a complaint that accuses a seller of shilling. So even if two accounts are established with different phone numbers or street addresses, if they are linked to the same IP address eBay will catch it.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Little birdie in California told me that ebay now has the capability to be automatically notified when one account bids on another account that has the same phone number or street address. >>

They're better equipped than that. They have a spybot that will identify IP address of bidders in the case of a complaint that accuses a seller of shilling. So even if two accounts are established with different phone numbers or street addresses, if they are linked to the same IP address eBay will catch it. >>

I'm sure eBay is even more advanced than this. They probably have a team of a 100 people on it.
    Ian Russell
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe person involved has major beef with ebay. who knows for sure
  • Options
    eBay has always turned a blind eye to shill bidding = as long as fees were paid

if the shill bidding included mutual auction cancellation, then their fees are lost and they get greedy

even with complaints, they have let it slide in the past
  • Options

<< <i>eBay has always turned a blind eye to shill bidding = as long as fees were paid

if the shill bidding included mutual auction cancellation, then their fees are lost and they get greedy

even with complaints, they have let it slide in the past >>

Shill bidding is a criminal offense. I'm sure ebay doesn't want to have to answer to a judge why they did nothing when it was reported to them.

• Options
    eBay facilitates fraud, and is a cash cow that occasionbally helps prosecute criminals that have used their platform

They have a team of lawyers willing to take on anyone

shill bidding maybe a criminal offense in some locations, but when pressed, eBay will state they are not an auction house
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

shill bidding maybe a criminal offense in some locations, but when pressed, eBay will state they are not an auction house >>

Yup, they are just a fabulously wealthy "venue" that is above the lawimage
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    They sent an email so I checked out their website. $25 off for new customers and their email states they haven't update prices since August and there are deals to be had. I just ordered an Australian 1 Sovereign NGC MS61 for $276.50 shipping included (melt is $317). We'll see if I get it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file