Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I bought this $1,500 coin 2 years ago for 10 bucks

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    The book lists the reeded edge at $40 in BU, do you think this one is $1500 because it mihgt be a proof instead of mint state? JMHO, it's a very attractive coin, but you need to get it into a proof holder.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Wait, I need clarification: you actually own this very piece listed or you saw this ebay link selling this coin for $1,500 and are proud of the fact that you bought a different specimen at a better price? I am thinking you mean the latter but I am not sure. The description is written by someone who has a vested interest in pumping the value of this particular coin. I wouldn't pay any more than the standard MS price. Essentially this guy is telling us that NGC is wrong, he is right, and that happens to be a $1,460 profit for him because of that error. Hmmmm. Smells bad.
  • Options

<< <i>you saw this ebay link selling this coin for $1,500 and are proud of the fact that you bought a different specimen at a better price? I am thinking you mean the latter but I am not sure. >>

You got it right my friend; I bought the same coin for only $10. There are some patterns available, and they have the word "Essai" on the coin.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I'm not convinced the coin in the ebay ad is a proof. Skippie, how about a detailed picture of your coin?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Using the ebay search theres quite a few examples of that coin starting at $8.50 and upwards.The $1500 example stands out with its price tag in a big way.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm not convinced the coin in the ebay ad is a proof. Skippie, how about a detailed picture of your coin?

imageimageimage >>

Sorry about the delay, I was out of town, anyway, here is my example that is also in an NGC MS62 holder and the 1946 Essai specimen.