Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Is Soliciting Through the Set Registry Welcome? Acceptable?

Just noticed that there is an option to e-mail those users on the set registry who make the option available. Is it acceptable and/or welcome to e-mail those collectors who appear to need cards I have for sale either to complete or upgrade their set? I feel like I would welcome such an e-mail if the cards were offered at a reasonable price, but I don't want to be that guy. Has anyone ever done this or had it done to them? Any thoughts appreciated.

Brad
image Check out my eBay listings for vintage graded baseball. BIN items are no more than 105% of VCP Average, auctions start at no more than 90% VCP Average. Refunds available on all sales. Buy and bid with confidence!

Comments

• MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    It would not bother me...only I hardly ever check that e-mail. I would prefer message board PM, but if a person has their e-mail there, I see no problem, as their is an e-mail option.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the exact reason I made my email available for viewing. I think most collectors would appreciate being offered cards via the registry. In fact, I just bought a 1980 Charlie Joiner PSA 10 that was offered to me last week via the registry. If my email hadn't been public, I would've never gotten the chance at the card, except maybe via ebay if the seller put it there.

Edited to add that I've also offered cards to other collectors in this manner. Some haven't responded, but some have, and I've made a couple sales as a result.

Overall, I think it's good.

Steve
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I agree, I appreciate it if it's an offer for sale. If it's just informing me that the item is going on ebay or in a catalog auction it's spam.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with being asked via email if I have any cards for sale. Just recently I was asked by one of the largest card collectors around. I recently asked a guy via email about a few cards, but he also had a note in his registry that he was parting out his master registr, but he was saving his basic cards. image

brian
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    It's perfectly fine. Anyone who does not want to be contected can remove the e-mail option. I've been able to snag a few cards that I needed this way.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    well my answer is yes and no.

yes if the email offers a specific card, usually not a common card (for player sets or company sets) however. even more so if the offer asks about a possiblity of trading.

no if the email states...."well the registry deadline is approaching, check out my ebay auctions for cards you might need".

with regard to the no....doesnt the sender figure that most collectors are checking ebay quite a bit? the yes email makes it sound as the person has a tough card for you and they were thinking of you or a group of you in particular for that card. plus one might figure the card isnt up on ebay and is open to the highest bidder first off line before heading to ebay.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Thanks for the responses, all. To provide further clarification, I contacted some 1954 Topps registry users regarding two commons in PSA 6 and 6.5. I just sifted through the sets and contacted 6-8 people for whom I thought the cards would fit in the set (i.e., most cards in the set were in the PSA 5-7 range, and the specific cards either weren't owned or could be upgraded).

I completely agree with not spamming registry users with cards already on eBay...those users actively looking to upgrade their sets would be checking eBay regularly anyway. However, I'm trying to establish a presence on eBay which involves offering graded cards at reasonable prices (see my sig), and eBay fees made it impossible to list the cards in any manner that would guarantee a small profit. Thus, I tried to identify a few people that might be interested in a deal off eBay so to avoid the fees.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I got a couple cordial replies declining and one counteroffer, which I didn't accept. Overall it was a good experience, though, and I would try it again under similar circumstances.
    image Check out my eBay listings for vintage graded baseball. BIN items are no more than 105% of VCP Average, auctions start at no more than 90% VCP Average. Refunds available on all sales. Buy and bid with confidence!
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's ok but I only do it when I have a few specific cards that are tough to locate in that grade and I only email the registrants at the top of the rankings that would likely have an interest in those cards. I take the time to look to see if they already have the card or not. Having said that, I did get a nasty response from one registrant. He told me my grammar was awful and that my prices were ridiculous. I double checked my grammar and found no errors and both cards sold at or above the initial asking price.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I've only asked someone if they were interested in a card once. It was the first 10 of the 2001 Topps Rickey Henderson. The guy wanted it to ensure he had the #1 Basic Topps Set, so he gave me a good chunk of change for it.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's the exact reason I made my email available for viewing. I think most collectors would appreciate being offered cards via the registry. >>

That's my feeling, too. I've had several positive experiences with people inquiring about stuff that I needed.
  • As long as it's a card in a set I'm already building, I welcome all emails. I'm even okay with the ones that SPAM their auctions. I've missed some cards on Ebay because I'm busy at work or traveling. I don't check Ebay everyday, but I do check my email.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If an email address is open, all email is acceptable.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>If an email address is open, all email is acceptable.

Steve >>

This is really the sum of it. If a person doesn't want e-mail, don't provide it. I dont think we need an algebra folmula for asking if someone wants a card.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.