Home Sports Talk
Options

Willie Mays Biography

Just finished reading the relatively new new Willie Mays Biography (Came out in February) by James Hirsch. It is a good read and covers Willie's life, but also highlights the Giants of the 1950's and 1960's. It took a long time for Mays to authorize a biography as he felt he was not treated well by sportswriters for a long time. I also recently read the Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn, and while this focuses on the Brooklyn Dodgers, they are similiar books. Is there a simliar book about the Yankees of the late 1940's and 1950's. Ball Four is more about the late sixties and early seventies Yankees. Mays comes off as more complex and caring in the book then his public reputation would lead one to believe, but he still was somewhat irresponsible with this money and not good at many of his personal relationships. Also he and other black athletes of his era were really the harbingers of the coming civil rights era as these black athletes and entertainers of the late 40's and 50's were the first black people that much of white America accepted into their hearts and homes.

Thoughts???

Comments

• Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Try the book call Dynasty by Peter Golenbock. It is all about the Yankees Dnyasty from the late 40's to the 60's and is a good read.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys should also check out the Kiss album "Dynasty".

It has some cool songs on it
  • Options

<< <i>You guys should also check out the Kiss album "Dynasty".

It has some cool songs on it >>

Yes indeed. I also recommend their latest album......SONIC BOOM image
  • Options

<< <i>Just finished reading the relatively new new Willie Mays Biography (Came out in February) by James Hirsch. It is a good read and covers Willie's life, but also highlights the Giants of the 1950's and 1960's. It took a long time for Mays to authorize a biography as he felt he was not treated well by sportswriters for a long time. I also recently read the Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn, and while this focuses on the Brooklyn Dodgers, they are similiar books. Is there a simliar book about the Yankees of the late 1940's and 1950's. Ball Four is more about the late sixties and early seventies Yankees. Mays comes off as more complex and caring in the book then his public reputation would lead one to believe, but he still was somewhat irresponsible with this money and not good at many of his personal relationships. Also he and other black athletes of his era were really the harbingers of the coming civil rights era as these black athletes and entertainers of the late 40's and 50's were the first black people that much of white America accepted into their hearts and homes.

Thoughts??? >>

Try Summer of '49. Written by one of my favorite authors (David Halberstam) and if you don't mind some interloping by those annoying Red Sox, it is a great read.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    Although not on your lst, I highly recommend October 1964. It really does prove how classy of an organization the St. Louis Cardinals is.

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    As you can now realize, I read a ton of books and just remembered another one. Sorry to high-jack your thread.

Sleeper Cars and Flannel Uniforms

• Options
    I liked Mays' book, it was a bit long. Here is my review of the book.Willie Mays - The Life, The Legend Review

I can also recommend Lew Paper's "Perfect" which chronicles every player involved in Don Larsen's perfect game. It gives some great background on each of the players and the book unravels like you are watching the game. Here is my review of that book as well. Perfect - Lew Paper