Home Sports Talk
Options

Braves to retire Tom Glavine's Number tonight....

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here are the current retired Braves...nice company to be with:

#3 Dale Murphy
#21 Warren Spahn
#31 Greg Maddux
#35 Phil Niekro
#41 Eddie Matthews
#44 Hank Aaron

and after tonight....

#47 Tom Glavine

Congrats on an amazing career. Here are a few stats that stand out:

10 Time All Star
World Series MVP (1995)
Babe Ruth Award (1995)
2 Time Cy Young winner
4 Time Silver Slugger winner
305 Wins(4th on the all time Left hander list behind Spahn,Carlton and Plank)
Won at least 20 games 5 different seasons
Played 22 years and only was placed on the DL once....his final season!

Comments

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Be nice when Smoltz gets his number up there as well.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are the current retired Braves...nice company to be with:

#3 Dale Murphy
    #21 Warren Spahn
    #31 Greg Maddux
    #35 Phil Niekro
    #41 Eddie Matthews
    #44 Hank Aaron

and after tonight....

#47 Tom Glavine

Congrats on an amazing career. Here are a few stats that stand out:

10 Time All Star
    World Series MVP (1995)
    Babe Ruth Award (1995)
    2 Time Cy Young winner
    4 Time Silver Slugger winner
    305 Wins(4th on the all time Left hander list behind Spahn,Carlton and Plank)
    Won at least 20 games 5 different seasons
    Played 22 years and only was placed on the DL once....his final season! >>

Yeah, its a nice night. I'm a lifelong Braves fan, but let me add a few more stats to Glavine's career notes:

# of times that Glavine had to choose between signing with the Braves or division rival Mets: 1
    # of times that Glavine chose to play for division rival instead of Braves: 1
    # of times that Braves fans have forgotten this happening: 0

Glavine is liked by Braves fans for all that he did, but his reputation is tarnished and it always will be. Glavine is viewed differently in Atlanta than the other players with retired numbers. He'll never be as popular as Dale Murphy and certainly not as popular as Chipper Jones. Smoltz is held in higher regard too. Glavine's legacy has a "sellout" factor to it.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    So, when are they going to retire Smoltz's number?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>So, when are they going to retire Smoltz's number? >>

My guess would be 2011.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may be mistaken, but didn't Glavine sign with the Mets because the Braves lowballed him in contract negotiations and just assumed he'd sign for the "hometown discount"?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    It's all been the subject of back and forth accusations for years, although it seems largely buried now.

I have a very different view than Michael does about all of this. I lay the blame mostly on Schuerholz, who not only drove a franchise icon to their greatest rival but also "replaced" him with the likes of Mike Hampton and Horacio Ramirez.

I'm glad he came back, I'm sorry he ever left and I'm pleased with the ceremony and the honor. It was richly deserved.
  • Options

<< <i>I may be mistaken, but didn't Glavine sign with the Mets because the Braves lowballed him in contract negotiations and just assumed he'd sign for the "hometown discount"? >>

I don't remember it that way. I'm sure these #'s aren't correct, but my recollection is that Braves offered him in the neighborhood of 2 yrs @ $7M per year, while the Mets offered something like 3 yrs @ $8.5M per year. Glavine's agent at the time of the signing said something about how important it was for Glav to get a 3yr deal. The money difference was so small, that its really just ridiculous that both sides couldn't have gone to the table again to work something out. I'm willing to say that Scheurholz was as much of the problem as Glavine was. But given where Glavine was in his career, I certainly wouldn't say that the Braves offer was a "lowball". Glav left the team he spent his entire career with to go to a division rival for like $1.5 million more per season? Just didn't make sense at all, IMO. That being said, it was certainly the right thing for the franchise to retire his number, given his career and the role he played on the 95 WS champion team. If I didn't like the guy that much, I probably wouldn't still be bitter about it.

• Options
    Maybe not "lowball" but definitely lower and one fewer season which is significant for a player at that age...basically it sounds like the Braves didn't really want him back at that time, or, like you said, they'd have ponied up the mil and a half difference to keep him in an Atlanta uniform.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Actually, I just checked, and the Mets signed him 3 years for 35 mil with an option for a 4th year to bring the total contract to 43 mil. I'm fairly certain that is significantly more than the Braves would have offered, at least far more than a 1.5 million difference Mike speculated, so can you really blame Glavine for leaving?

• Options
    I've always gotten the feeling that it was less about money and more about what Tom felt was a lack of respect and being taken for granted by the Braves management. If you haven't already read it (and you all should, it's a fabulous book), you should check out John Feinstein's Living On The Black. He has a good account of Tom's occasionally antagonistic relationships with Schuerholz and Stan Kasten.

I'm glad it's all water under the bridge, now, but I hate that he was ever in a Mets' uniform, especially for #300 (as I hate the fact that Phil won his 300th game as a Yankee and Maddux as a Cub.)
  • Options
    I've always gotten the feeling that it was less about money and more about what Tom felt was a lack of respect and being taken for granted by the Braves management.

The difference in money between the offers would indicate that this statement is correct..

• Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    What're the odds that Chipper will get his number retired by the Braves?
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What're the odds that Chipper will get his number retired by the Braves? >>

They may retired his number as soon as his retirement press conference is over! He is HUGE popular in Atlanta and he will be one of the few modern players that only played for one team!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congratulations Mr. Glavine ... WELL DESERVED! (And this coming from a MET fan!)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>What're the odds that Chipper will get his number retired by the Braves? >>

100% chance.

• Options
    Yep. Smoltz, Chipper and Bobby are all going up there.

We want them on that wall! We NEED them on that wall!!

Honestly, I was rooting for Tom every time he went out to that mound with blue and orange on, unless he was facing the Braves. Even then I was hoping for him to leave in a way that netted him a no decision. I know they were in the same division but every team has to win a certain number of games and I wanted to see the Mets' share come when he was the pitcher of record.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Tom. I always liked watching him pitch.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats to Tom. I always liked watching him pitch.

image >>

Awesome!