Home Sports Talk
Options

Do you ever watch Pros v. Joes on TV? If so, what ................

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
.................. do you think of the show?

I watched an entire episode yesterday. Three retired NBA players [Chris Mullin, Rick Fox and one of the Barry brothers (Brent)] competed against three Joes [two former small college players and a playground player who can jump out of the gym and who has some YouTube clips of him dunking] in shooting competitions, breaking a press competition and a 5 minute three on three half court game.

The Joes all had some skills and were younger than the NBA guys. They also talked trash big time.

The Joes won the shooting competition and got a three point head start in the three on three competition. The Joes could not break a press by the NBA players. It was so bad that the Joes had trouble even inbounding the ball. They could not advance the ball to half court against the NBA players.

The three on three game started with the Joes leading 3-0 at the start of the game. They ended up losing 29 - 26. The NBA players were so smooth in their execution of their offense. Both as a team and as indivisual players the NBA guys made the Joes look very awkward and unpolished. The NBA players had moves which the Joes simply could not defend against. Nothing super special, just efficient use of their bodies to get open and leave the Joes guarding them out of place, behind them and/or one step slow. If one of the Joes had not got hot in shooting three pointers, the final score would have been very lopsided.

The NBA players bantered with the Joes in a good natured manner. The Joes took things very seriously and were very upset that they lost. As should be expected since the Pros are/were "Pros" and the Joes want to be "Pros" but are not and never will be.

Your thoughts on Pros v. Joes please.

Comments

• Options
    As long as those former pros are in good enough shape and haven't lost too many steps, they aren't going to lose unless they're facing some studs. The NBA game travels at the fastest speed. Think about how it is during the NCAA tournament when you have the Ivy League champion play the number 1 or number 2 seed. They can't bring the ball up against pressure, having trouble getting it past half court against any sort of trap or full court pressure.

You get to that realization somewhere during HS / college, and I knew during my senior year when I was playing on my summer league basketball team against more advanced players that I was going to have trouble in college. I was a D-3 end of the bench player in basketball, and I just could not get things going against the faster guards if there was hard man-to-man pressure. Imagine trying to pull that off against people who had to guard Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, etc. Anything you are going to throw at them is going to look slow and telegraphed.

It's similar to when I've played in adult baseball leagues against former MLB players. It's hard to get three balls past them during an at-bat.

The show provides a fantasy that people get to live out.