Home Sports Talk
Options

The most annoying thing in baseball...

...isn't the delays or the bad umpiring this year...it's when a power hitter smacks one deep and stands at the plate like a statue because he thinks he hit a home run. Whether he did or didn't is irrelevant, run to first base. Man, I hate that. It's so lazy and conceited and effeminate.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blame ESPN Sportscenter.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to mention that when it's not a home run the batter could be giving up an extra base by not running. In fact that Ortiz fellow who plays for the Red Sox better get out of the gate quickly or he will be thrown out at first base if it's not a homer.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the most annoying thing is not when someone watches the ball. The most annoying thing is the lack of speed of play. Two hour games would be awesome.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Blame TV.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absoluely nothing truly annoys me about baseball - in my opinion it's the perfect summertime game.

If I had to pick something though, i'd say cold weather games too late in the fall is not the way baseball is supposed to be played.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I agree that its annoying. I've seen that sort of showboating cost a base when the ball drops in the park.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    That is the most frustrating thing about watching Miguel Cabrera.... He did that in CLE a couple weeks ago during our 4-game tortoise/hare series....... It makes my blood boil watching hitters not run out ground balls too. Why even run at all, when it's nothing but a slight jog? Bobbles happen! wild throws happen! I hate this modern game. We need a salary cap of $250,000+required community service in all sports......

edited to throw Ordonez in that mix too..... guess $15-20mil+ doesn't buy effort.....
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
    *sigh* Why do some players have to be showboats about ASSuming they hit a home run? They need to go back to like how players did it in the old days and...

HUSTLE!! image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Sorry, what annoys me the most is my feeling that the batter should have to stay in the box and not readjust everything after every pitch, my feeling is that adds the most time. As far as homeruns, I think the problem there is you get thrown out if you drill them the next time up, like they used too.

Tim
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much annoys me, but I am a bit puzzled by two things...

The WO win and then all the players gather at home plate and act like they just won the lotto. Every team does this and to me it's just a bit bush league the way they all jump up and down...every team does it, but to me they look like Little Leaguers. I understand the excitement of the win, but to me, this activity is just over kill. I'm surprised more players don't get injured doing this dance.

What I find a bit odd is the almost total lack of appreciation to the fans when a pitcher leaves the game, or a player hits a big home run or some other accomplishment when the whole place is cheering for THEM and they just don't acknowledge the fans with a mere tip of the cap, or at least a brief wave.

I do agree with the hitters who don't hustle to first.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>the most annoying thing is not when someone watches the ball. The most annoying thing is the lack of speed of play. Two hour games would be awesome. >>

100% correct
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Every team does this and to me it's just a bit bush league the way they all jump up and down...>>>

The lack of creativity on walk-off home run celebrations is sad. Teams need to take a cue from that Icelandic soccer team that is coming up with new celebrations after every goal. I thought the Braves earlier this year had a good one, when everyone left the dugout and went to the clubhouse as the guy was rounding the bases, so he had nobody to celebrate with when he got to home plate....
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Instant replay needs to be greatly expanded as demonstated by that ball called foul going over the
    third base a few days ago. Bud Selig is an idiot who uses that lame "flow of the game" excuse time after time.

Give each team two replay challenges per game, let the umps get together to decide what is correct by
    looking at the tape and making a decision. Why does everything have to be so complicated?
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    The lack of a consistent strike zone.

What do I win?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the most annoying thing is not when someone watches the ball. The most annoying thing is the lack of speed of play. Two hour games would be awesome. >>

While laid up after knee surgery, I watched Don Larsen's perfect game. I was amazed at the pace of play - it was soooo fast. After ground balls, by the time the infield had gone around the horn, the next batter was in the box ready to go. No constant farting around, guys just did everything faster.

Tabe
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    i'd like to voice my ire about 'defensive indifference'...... Y'all just simply don't CARE??? Fine, let the runner just advance and score on you. WHAT IS THAT???? You THINK you have the game in the bag, well, i hope the indifferent ones are about to endure a long, painful inning.... Some things about this modern game just inflame me: defensive indifference, not legging out ground balls, standing and watching yr flyball, the 'phantom force' by not touching the bag, big hits on 0-2 counts, walking the leadoff man, walking ANYONE non-intentionally, pitch counts, and soooooo many others.... salary cap: $250,000 +performance bonuses. YOU EARN WHAT YOU PERFORM!!!!
  • Options
    Here's what I consider the most annoying thing in baseball by far.

When commentators/sportscasters open their BIG MOUTH about a no-hitter in progress. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's what I consider the most annoying thing in baseball by far.

When commentators/sportscasters open their BIG MOUTH about a no-hitter in progress. image >>

There is no one more worse about that than Michael Kaye. I pray every spring that the Yankees wont allow him back in the booth.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    If Nelson Cruz jacks a HR he should then do the two middle finger salute to the Yankees fans (like he got from the guys who interfered on that non-HR HR.
  • Options

<< <i>i'd like to voice my ire about 'defensive indifference'...... Y'all just simply don't CARE??? Fine, let the runner just advance and score on you. WHAT IS THAT???? You THINK you have the game in the bag, well, i hope the indifferent ones are about to endure a long, painful inning.... Some things about this modern game just inflame me: defensive indifference, not legging out ground balls, standing and watching yr flyball, the 'phantom force' by not touching the bag, big hits on 0-2 counts, walking the leadoff man, walking ANYONE non-intentionally, pitch counts, and soooooo many others.... salary cap: $250,000 +performance bonuses. YOU EARN WHAT YOU PERFORM!!!! >>

How about guys who are first-pitch-swinging right after a walk, especially a 4-pitch walk?

Tabe
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Non consistent balls & strike calls by certain umpires who I will not publicly name.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Performance enhancing drugs.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    Bagged peanuts instead of fresh, and that although the guy can still throw them right to you, he can no longer trust the crowd to pass the money down like the old days. (I watch more live then telecast game).
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    It is not just baseball. Basketball is all about the best dunk(nevermind the score or if the other team is starting a play down court) or football is all about the biggest hit(even when they player gets a first down or big yardage).
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The lack of a consistent strike zone.

What do I win? >>

+1. This is most evident in the WS. The national league hitters are stunned when the chest high strikes are called. The american league hitters are stunned when the curve balls that fall below the knees are called for strikes.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it's the fact that they still use the umpire to call balls and strikes instead of the little box that gets it RIGHT!!!!

And they don't use instant replays to get it right like other sports.

But what can you expect from a league run by Spudhead Selig! What an idoit!
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about guys who are first-pitch-swinging right after a walk, especially a 4-pitch walk?

Tabe >>

Along the same lines. How about strikeing out swinging at ball 4.

One thing baseball must address is the large number of blown calls. Managers make wrong decisions, good hitters strike out, good fielders make errors, and you would expect an umpire to make an occasional bad call but there are so many that this is something that needs to be addressed.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>Non consistent balls & strike calls by certain umpires who I will not publicly name. >>

Considering what it takes to get to be an MLB umpire (according to Wikipedia), you'd think this would not be a problem in MLB most of the time. Most of the time...
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    the most annoying thing in baseball is when fans use little league methods/strategy and rip on the big leaguers when they don't follow them...

Not swinging at the first pitch after a four pitch walk? Smart hitters are looking to zone that first pitch in that case and will increase their chance of hitting a home run. Telling them not to swing is stupid. Heck, that is stupid in little league too, unless the hitter is the right fielder for the California Bears.

Striking out swinging at ball four? You make that sound like it is so easy to just lay off that pitch.

Ripping a guy for not swinging level, or praising a guy because you 'think' he swings level. Stud hitters don't swing level. LOL. Actually, you shouldn't swing level in little league either! THe shoulders and bat should be at an angle at the point of contact...lower the pitch, greater the angle. Higher the pitch, less of the angle.

Downgrading stud hitters because they strike out a lot. In totality, striking out in MLB is only appx 3/100 worse than making a contact out...yes that includes the outs that move up runners, so please don't bother mentioning that. That means for every 100 strikeouts compared to a contact out, it costs your team about three runs....given average situational splits. MLB defense is so advanced, that simply putting the ball in play is not an efficient goal.

Are you sure about that five minutes!?
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The lack of a consistent strike zone.

What do I win? >>

+1. This is most evident in the WS. The national league hitters are stunned when the chest high strikes are called. The american league hitters are stunned when the curve balls that fall below the knees are called for strikes. >>

This is actually the straw that broke the camel's back for me and baseball. When players/managers tell you the sort of impact these bad ball/strike calls have over the course of an inning/game/season, the fact that MLB seems not to care just boggles the mind. For professionals, the difference between a 2-2 count and a 3-1 count is massive...and threefold with men on base. Google search "fangraphs strikezone" to get an idea about how terribly the expert trained eye calls balls and strikes in the league we love. The data is horrifying. HORRIFYING.

See, there's like a defined strikezone in the rulebook and everything...but who cares about objectivity?!? It's much more fun to have a man's mood determine how large or small the zone will be on a given day.

I'm losing faith that this will change in my lifetime. I guess it's way WAY more important to have these worthless meatbags behind the plate because that's how it has always been. MLB lack of progress makes it very VERY easy to just kick back and wait for the next football game.
  • Options

<< <i>Not swinging at the first pitch after a four pitch walk? Smart hitters are looking to zone that first pitch in that case and will increase their chance of hitting a home run. Telling them not to swing is stupid. Heck, that is stupid in little league too, unless the hitter is the right fielder for the California Bears. >>

Fine. Treat it the same as a 3-0 count then - swinging only if it's dead-red, middle-middle. Wayyyyy too many guys swing at absolutely anything the first pitch after a walk. It's stupid. 1-0 (or even 0-1) is much better than a popup on a slider, don't you agree?

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>Not swinging at the first pitch after a four pitch walk? Smart hitters are looking to zone that first pitch in that case and will increase their chance of hitting a home run. Telling them not to swing is stupid. Heck, that is stupid in little league too, unless the hitter is the right fielder for the California Bears. >>

Especially in the pros. Guys are zoning in on there pitch, even in some adult leagues guys zone in after a 4 pitch walk.

The pitcher is in many cases going to groove one.

Damn Skip, finally, we agree.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Fine. Treat it the same as a 3-0 count then - swinging only if it's dead-red, middle-middle. >>

Tabe I don't think he ( I know I didn't) thought you meant it like that.

I agree with you, nothing chaps my arse more then a guy swinging at a marginal pitch and popping out
    after a 4 pitch walk.

Sorry, I misunderstood your OP.

Steve
    Good for you.