Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1909VDB MPL IN ANA SALE IN BOSTON ON AUGUST 11TH

It's time to count down to the auctioning of the 1909VDB PCGS PR66RD Matte Proof Lincoln Cent at the Boston ANA next week. As of right now we have a high bid of $34,500 with the juice. 7 bidders participating so far. This Wednesday evening Heritage will post any reserves on this coin and then during the next seven days we will see where this coin sells for (or IF it sells). You can view the action right here.
Steveimage

RESERVE IS $74,750 WITH THE JUICE! See my comments below.

Comments

• Options
    Well the coin sold for 69k feb of last year with a terrible image. This image makes the coin appear 10 x better so maybe a few more people will go ahead and look at the coin in hand this time around due to the image in turn bringing a bit higher price. I can tell you that you wont win the coin for 34,500 because at that price I will out bid you image
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw it at auction lot viewing. Didn't knock my socks off - but I'm not really a Lincoln collector so take that with a grain of salt
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that the coin in hand looks very nice.

The picture of the coin in this thread and on the auction sight does not do that much for me. In fact the picture makes me scratch my head over the RD designation awarded to the coin.

For those of you who have seen the coin in hand, how does it compare [looking at it in hand] to the picture?
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    WOW! The owner of this coin just ain't going to give it away. With the reserve, we are talking just about $75,000. My guess is that the seven bidders we have seen bid on this coin will NOT be bidding anymore on this lot. The one thing I take away from this decision by the current owner of the coin is that he believes he owns one of the top 10 examples of this rare matte proof and he would rather keep it than let it go for what may be current market. I admire that. Steveimage

As I relook at the PCGS price guide showing a current market price of $90K, maybe the reserve set is right on target?
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    It's hard for me to even tell that it's a MPL. Looks more like a business strike to me? But this isn't my series, so what do I know?
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    Pre floor bidding ends tomorrow (Tuesday) evening. Nobody is nibbling at $75k. Platinum Nite floor auction on Wednesday. To those who have seen the coin "in hand" do you think it will sell? Steveimage
  • Options
    I took a look at the coin yesterday for the second time around. I saw the coin in hand last time it sold and was unimpressed and upon seeing it again this time around I am still unimpressed. I do not think the coin will sell this time around due to a few factors. It appears as though several of these have popped up recently at heritage and while still a very rare coin I feel that it has had far to many auction showings recently to pull what I call the (rarity premium). Platinum auctions are a funny thing, I have sat through several where there was little to no llive action and on the other hand I have sat through several that had very heated bidding. I simply feel this coin has had to many showings in to short of a time frame to pull much interest. There is currently a much nicer VDB matte (IMO) on the market that could be had if someone was really looking for a PQ example.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does not look like anyone is too anxious to claim this item as a prize.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    wow, 650,000 times face - I wonder what HRH's grandpa would say about that
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>wow, 650,000 times face - I wonder what HRH's grandpa would say about that >>

I'd buy a few of them at 650,000 times face if I could do so!!!!!!!!!!!! image

This one is currently going for 6.5 million times face + the juice, which so far appears to be an unmet reserve!!!! image
  • Options
    Well, we go to the LIVE auction tonight. I'm sure the conventional thinking is that the coin will NOT sell at $75k with the reserve in todays market. I'm sure the owner was aware of this when he placed the high reserve. So I imagine he will be happy to hang on to the coin for another time. Another aspect of this is whether a non sale will drive the MPL 1909VDB price guide values down some more? We shall see. Steveimage
  • Options
    The coin did NOT sell tonight. If anyone still wants it they can have it for about $75k in the Heritage "after sale". Steveimage
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get a 1969 S DDO on Ebay for less than that. image

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.