Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A question about Heritage Live auctions...

Heritage says (in so many words) that software may lag and you may miss your item if you try to snipe a Heritage Live auction... has anyone ever found this to really be the case with a stable fast internet connection and a clean, smoothly operating computer? In other words, is sniping Heritage auctions as easy as ebay ones?

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you will only have trouble if your coin of interest is the first lot. When HA.com goes live, just enter your max bid on the lot(s) of interest. Your max bid won't be revealed and unless someone bids you up to it, it won't be revealed to anyone but you.
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you will only have trouble if your coin of interest is the first lot. When HA.com goes live, just enter your max bid on the lot(s) of interest. Your max bid won't be revealed and unless someone bids you up to it, it won't be revealed to anyone but you. >>

OK so basically when bidding begins, you can go to your lot that may not be up for an hour and put in your snipe ahead of time? Will it make a difference like it does on ebay? Because sniping ahead of time isn't sniping on there
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think you will only have trouble if your coin of interest is the first lot. When HA.com goes live, just enter your max bid on the lot(s) of interest. Your max bid won't be revealed and unless someone bids you up to it, it won't be revealed to anyone but you. >>

OK so basically when bidding begins, you can go to your lot that may not be up for an hour and put in your snipe ahead of time? Will it make a difference like it does on ebay? Because sniping ahead of time isn't sniping on there >>

that's the basics, yes. The difference is that you won't miss out on bidding and your max won't be revealed unless someone bids up to it.
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭
    Ah, nice. I like that system better.
  • Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    I have never had problems on Heritage (other than being outbid for coins I really wanted).

Although one time last summer I was watching an auction live and not bidding, and then after a while closed my laptop. I then logged in again and found that I "won" a coin for $8k that I had not bid on. I totally panicked because I thought one of the kids had hit the "bid" button when I wasn't looking. The next day I got an e-mail from them that it was a computer error. So no harm done but I think a few more hairs turned grey that day.

-Fred

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes you will lose a coin on Heritage Live Auctions if you don't hit the bar for the next increment fast enough. The auction will end before your bid gets through.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as "sniping" on Heritage Live. Sniping is putting a bid that executes at the last possible second in hopes of winning an auction at less than it's market value. Heritage Live keeps bidding open until everyone is finished bidding, there is no artificial ending time like ebay ,as long as someone wants to bid Heritage keeps the lot open. And in fact there are many times when they close a lot, then reopen it a few seconds later because another bid comes in on Heritage Live, is that a "snipe"? No, because everyone else then has an opportunity to bid again, and they often do, to win a lot.
  • Options
    swhuckswhuck Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Heritage says (in so many words) that software may lag and you may miss your item if you try to snipe a Heritage Live auction... has anyone ever found this to really be the case with a stable fast internet connection and a clean, smoothly operating computer? In other words, is sniping Heritage auctions as easy as ebay ones? >>

To clarify: The wording has to do with placing live bids in Heritage Live auctions only, and has nothing to do with sniping, your computer, or your Internet connection. Instead, it's talking about the connection between your ISP and the ISP we're using at the auction -- think of it kind of like receiving e-mail; sometimes it's immediate and sometimes not.

As others in this thread have noted, we will reopen lots if we're aware that your Heritage Live bid came in late.
    Sincerely,

Stewart Huckaby
    mailto:stewarth@HA.com
    ------------------------------------------
    Heritage Auctions
    Heritage Auctions

2801 W. Airport Freeway

Dallas, Texas 75261

Phone: 1-800-US-COINS, x1355
    Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Heritage says (in so many words) that software may lag and you may miss your item if you try to snipe a Heritage Live auction... has anyone ever found this to really be the case with a stable fast internet connection and a clean, smoothly operating computer? In other words, is sniping Heritage auctions as easy as ebay ones? >>

To clarify: The wording has to do with placing live bids in Heritage Live auctions only, and has nothing to do with sniping, your computer, or your Internet connection. Instead, it's talking about the connection between your ISP and the ISP we're using at the auction -- think of it kind of like receiving e-mail; sometimes it's immediate and sometimes not.

As others in this thread have noted, we will reopen lots if we're aware that your Heritage Live bid came in late. >>

"Right from the horse's mouth."
    Paul
  • Options
    Heritage live isnt like ebay, no sniping bidding. They make sure everyone gets their bids in
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am following the auction, but the audio is very uneven. In fact, a moment ago, I thought I had disapparated and expected to see Dumbledore next to me. image
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not know if a lag or their computer issue, or I do not understand...

I was watching a few hours this afternoon for a couple Washington quarters, and all of a sudden the auction started skipping even numbered lots (for me) not just a couple but MANY

what happens to the even numbered lots?

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ancient thread revived...pretty sure things have changed 7+ years.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file