Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1953 Bowman Color Set Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    You've got a really nice looking set there. I always run into this sort of an issue. I can't afford to collect everything I'd like on my salary. If I go lower in condition, I might be able to tackle a bit more. If I go a lot lower, I can tackle a lot more. But at what point does it become silly? At what point do the cards become essentially not worth grading? Your 3's and 4's present well. I don't know if that would be the case for a lot of others or a lot of other sets. I might buy a couple of lower range 53's and see how they look in my hands and go from there.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    PowderedH20,

I have the same dilema as you and think that the majority of collectors are in the same boat. Since I am never going to have the highest graded set, it is more fun for me to spread out my funds and collect more things. The one rule I have is sticking to cards with good eye appeal. I think if you do this, you can always get rid of your cards when the time comes regardless of grade. Many cards that grade vg/ex or ex look really nice and may have only a wrinkle which you can't really see.

Jeff

• Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    My 53B color set is mostly low to mid grade, and I still think it is a beautiful set. I have it in a Roop binder.

I was thinking of getting the whole set slabbed, mainly so I can tell who the players are without flipping the cards over. Not sure it's worth the cost though.

Those pictures above in the slabs are really amazing.
    Capecards
  • Options
    Here are some more scans for you fellow 1953 Bowman Color lovers to look at!

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

And here are a couple set fillers until I find PSA 7s for them:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Let me know if you can help me with my PSA 7 1953 Bowman set! Thanks, Hal
  • Options
    There are some 7's there that look like 10's to me. Nice cards!!!
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    That Erskine is stunning. It's probably graded accurately b/c of the lower left corner, but man- that is everything you want a PSA 7 to be and more.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    Another brick in the wall!

imageimage
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I love the 53 set and have finally decided to put one together. For the past 6 months I would pick up a card here and there, but lately I have been spending more time looking for them than my 60 Topps set I have been working on. I am going to sell off my 60 topps set to finance the 53's, but it will be well worth it*.

I was torn between building a 53 Bowman or the 56 Topps, but the the photography of the 53's imo is the best of any set ever produced.

I also love cards that are printed on their sides, like the 60 Topps (my fav from the 60's) and the 56 Topps. It is no suprise that my all time favorite card is the 53 Bowman Reese. (The PSA 8 above is spectacular!) I always wondered what the whole set would have been like if printed that way!

Good luck to all of you building this set because you are going to have one more bidder to contend with...lol

*If anyone is working on a 1960 Topps set in PSA 7 and 8 and would be interested in trading for 53 Bowmans please send me a pm.

EDIT to add that the Bobby Adams card posted above is a cool looking card. It almost looks like you could reach out a feel the grass. I wonder if the whole ballfield was that shaggy looking? Big difference between that and the well manicured fields today.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Does anyone have a #148 Billy Goodman that they can post?

Thanks!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    My God, EBay is just a deserted wasteland right now if you're looking for centered PSA 4's and 5's from this set.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Wow you guys are really ticking me off! Why did you have to post all of those nice 53's? I was just fine not working on this set. So, now, I am. I picked up five cards last night on ebay for opening bids. Nothing major, but 5's and 6's in the $10-15 range. I did get a PSA 6 Monte Irvin for $35. I don't know if that's a good price, but the card looked nice and I just couldn't see going too terribly wrong on a 1953 PSA 6 HOFer for $35. I guess I'll know better when I get it in hand. So, a total of six cards for the set now. Not much, but it is a start.
  • Options
    Did you buy them from "gotbaseballcards"? I bought the Carl Erskine:

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Nice card! Love those 53s!!!!!!Any grade.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Yep. I bought the Sammy White, Sandy Consuerga, and Sal Maglie 5's, and the Harry Chiti and Monte Irvin 6's. All for under $80. I'm looking forward to having them in hand. I was shocked to see them go so cheaply, but not unpleasantly shocked.
  • Options
    When I put my set together I too came up with some nice deals.The tough ones were #113 to 128 it appeared they were overpriced for the low grades of 1s and 2s.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    I've hot the wall on an all 7 set. Been very little out there on Ebay.
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I "hit" the wall...
  • Options
    They are tough to find in high grade.Low grades do not come cheap either.
  • Options
    Question for you guys: I started a 1948-55 Bowman Football thread awhile back, and it has had some action. It isn't the biggest thread on the block, but because it covers eight different sets, it gets a fair share of action. I do collect Bowman baseball as well. I've just recently started this one, but I have about 25% PSA graded of the 54's and a fair amount of 55's as well. I've searched for the individual threads for sets, and other than this one, there isn't anything. The most complete thread about 54's is nine years old and has 18 posts. Basically, the same applies to the other Bowman sets as well. Any interest in an all-encompassing Bowman baseball thread?
  • Options
    Just picked up a couple of exceptionally nice cards for the grade from EBay seller painthistorian (an excellent seller, BTW). I only have 22 cards in the set so far; these are two of the nicest for sure.

imageimage
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    Those are darn good looking 4s.
  • Options
    No one's posted a Reese in this thread since September 2010!

Most would agree that this is one of the more interesting cards of the era. Obviously Reese meant a lot to the game, both on the field and given his role in integrating it. But this card is particularly unique. With the possible exception of Gil Hodges' card (#92), Reese's is the only action card in the set. And the card has sort of a comic book quality to it, as Reese appears to have jumped to nearly superhuman heights to avoid the runner. Additionally, the Reese appears to be avoiding the runner in an attempt to turn a double play, but the runner actually appears to be sliding into second base from the direction of third base. It is difficult to imagine what baseball scenario would lead to the scene in the card

I purchased this card nearly two years ago to the day for just over $400. I didn't really have the money at the time, and hemmed and hawed over whether to pull the trigger, but ultimately decided to buy it. I didn't think I'd ever get a chance to get this card at that price again, and so far I've been almost right. According to VCP, it sold in PSA 6.5 for $300 just a couple months later, but since then has sold for more than $500 three out of four times (and $430 the other time). Well-centered versions sometimes sell for more in PSA 6.

Definitely the centerpiece of my collection right now.

Always looking for vintage White Sox cards at reasonable prices.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd posted this before, but guess I didn't.
    Picked it up last December, and it looks so much better in person than in this image from the auction. While it has a few technical flaws it's the first '53 uncut sheet I've seen and from 3' away it looks flawless. Reese, Campy, Doby, Irvin, Durocher, Boudreau, Kell, and 2 different Mantles.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Anthony, that is awesome!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    It is funny that someone resurrected this thread as I have had a few nice pick-ups for my set recently:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

If anyone has any decently/well-centered PSA 7s, let me know! Thanks, Hal
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    cool cards!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Hal---great cards

Anthony---awesome item
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    That sheet rocks!
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I'll add these. Nice one-two punch owned by their subjects

imageimage
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous cards, Hal and Tom!!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Just a heads up- I am giving up on my pursuit of this set in clean, centered PSA 4 & 5. 24 graded cards and three raw cards available. Most are well above-average for the grade, and many are dead-nuts centered. Two examples of the cards for sale are pictured below. Check out my post in the B/S/T forum if you care to.

-Jason

imageimage

-CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

• Options
    I haven't seen any action on this thread lately (unfortunately). This is one of the slow builds in my collection (my main focus is the 52 Bowman set and the 53 Topps set), but I am picking them up in PSA 4-6 as they pop up on the cheap. I figure another two years or so and I'll be finished. No photos to show, but I am still amazed every time I get a new one in my hands at how great the quality of the photos are for a set that is over sixty years old.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Kodachrome.
  • Options
    I started my set last month. Got some raw cards this summer and sent in to psa. I do like the cards the more I look at them. It is a 2015 goal. Trying to finish up some sets by year end if I can find the cards.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    I was smitten by the '53 Bowman set the first time I saw them back in 1976 at age 14.

My girlfriend's older brother showed them to me on their front stoop, taking them out of a shoe box.

Seeing the cards for the first time I was in awe. Rizzuto and Martin on the same card? Reese in action? Berra, Snider, Campanella...No way!

I was instantly, and permanently addicted

Typically, I have several '53 Bowman sets in various grades going at a time.

Ever so-slowly because I strive not to overpay, I've built a primary set that I'm constantly upgrading, though it's not on the registry.

As a result, I've sold 6 complete color and 4 black and white complete sets on eBay over the years, plus countless PSA graded and tons of raw cards.

#49 Stankey in PSA 6 would finish off a PSA 6 set I have been working for for about 12 years that I may sell through Robert Edwards Auctions or Rich Probstein.

Also, I am a Mantle short, and several upgrades without wax stains away from selling a EXMT set, though it may take a couple more of years to complete.

The sad thing is that eBay's pricing structure and format have really slowed down everything.

In the past there were five to ten times the amount of PSA 8s available for auction each month.

But there are plenty of other sources for cards.

Wishing you all success and great fulfillment in your collecting of this phenomenal set!

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I also like the 53 Bowman color set, one of my favorites and a strong effort by Bowman to counter the market inroads made by Topps with it's 52 set after a scatter gun approach in 51. Unfortunately Topps countered with another strong effort in 53 and the higher costs incurred by Bowman in their color photographs, as opposed to the colored B&Ws by Topps in 52 and art work in 53, apparently sent Bowman back to only B&W in the latter part of 53. The beginning of the end, except for Warren Bowman who had the good fortune or great foresight to sell his company at it's zenith shortly after easily besting the Topps opening foray in 1951.

And, I like bubblegum or wax stains on cards. Gives them character
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    I'm planning on doing this set in the 4ish area but just of the Hall of Famers. I'll work on the non-HOFers in the raw.

This set is just so so so beautiful. IMHO the most beautiful post war set ever done.