Home U.S. Coin Forum

Error assistance - attribution please

jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
Hello all,

I purchased these two errors today and I need some insight.

1. The quarter is a triple clipped planchet but what I dont understand is how there is no reeding on the edges; and more specifically it looks to me like this was struck on a type 1 planchet? What do you think?

2. And for the dime I am not sure what to think - could this have been double struck? What would cause this issue?

Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Comments

• tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    The quarter appears to be slightly off-center in addition to being triple clipped. Not sure about the dime.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    The quarter appears to be a triple cliped out of collar off center broadstrike.

The dime looks like a struck through grease.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it looks to me like this was struck on a type 1 planchet >>

My thought on the quarter:
    Since it was triple clipped the planchet didn't get the rims upset. Like having Blakesley effect on the opposing areas to all 3 clips made it have almost no upset rim.
    Ed
  • jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    19LYDS

I dont think it was struck through grease as I can see raised points in the areas that have 'that look'.

I am going to try to get better pics of it when I get off work today and I will post them. I think that if you look on the overse pic you can see, down by the date, several points of raised metal. Also, if you look at the back of Roosevelts head you can see other areas of what could previous design from a strike or something to that effect.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file