Home U.S. Coin Forum

Richard Nachbar

Does anyone have any experience selling to Richard Nachbar, I've read some good things about him. Thanks.

Comments

• PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    .....not I
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's a great guy and extremely trustworthy and fair.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    He's one of, if not, the best, especially if you're wanting to sell a complete collection. IMHO, that niche market has two superb choices, Richard Nachbar and Warren Mills at Rare Coins of New Hampshire.
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    He is kind of like a Rug store, they always say they are going out of business but year after year they are still there.

I think he is a good guy, i have not dealt with him in a few years but when i did i was happy. I like to read his weekly ads in Coin World. He has indicated a few times it was time for him to hang up his loupe but when he is just about to... the economy collasped, he was offered huge deals, he just like to deal in coins.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After reading his ads and thinking he was some of saint or uncle in the coin biz, I offered him a small grouping of type coins at the FUN show a couple years ago. Nothing spectacular, but not junk or problem coins either - two cent pieces in VF/XF, etc. He told me he wasn't interested, and said to take it to Littleton. I guess he is looking for the big deals.
    Additionally, I believe he sells what he acquires to other dealers, acting as a middleman, and as such must pay sub-wholesale prices....depending on what you have, you may do a little better selling to an 'end user', like JJTeaparty or Rare Coins of New Hampshire. I have gotten strong money for better date/grade coins from both of these outfits. But if you are looking to sell a large accumulation with a lot of lesser pieces, they may not be so generous.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    image What he said...

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Bump!
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone have any experience selling to Richard Nachbar, I've read some good things about him. Thanks. >>

What good things have you heard.........that he pays more?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe he sells what he acquires to other dealers, acting as a middleman, and as such must pay sub-wholesale prices

This is partly right, but I can't say for sure you would get more from a retail dealer. He knows who the top buyers are, so unless you have that knowledge as well, you may have different resutls on your own than going through him.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

<< <i>After reading his ads and thinking he was some of saint or uncle in the coin biz, I offered him a small grouping of type coins at the FUN show a couple years ago. Nothing spectacular, but not junk or problem coins either - two cent pieces in VF/XF, etc. He told me he wasn't interested, and said to take it to Littleton. I guess he is looking for the big deals.
    Additionally, I believe he sells what he acquires to other dealers, acting as a middleman, and as such must pay sub-wholesale prices....depending on what you have, you may do a little better selling to an 'end user', like JJTeaparty or Rare Coins of New Hampshire. I have gotten strong money for better date/grade coins from both of these outfits. But if you are looking to sell a large accumulation with a lot of lesser pieces, they may not be so generous. >>

I'll disagree, although YMMV.

I've bought as a private collector from Richard at coin shows. Frequently, he holds his own silent bid auctions, direct from his table...and let me tell you, he sells some high end true gems at reasonable prices when he does this.

Also, he's told me on numerous occasions, that he'll take entire collections, good to bad, and that if/when the time comes for my estate, my wife knows just to contact him. Maybe a 3-6 small coin deal might not interest him (or a bad day which anyone can have) but, all in all, Richard is aces, especially to the typical lifelong collector at any level, IMHO.

Consider this, he started "those testimonial ads." Now look how many people copy him? There's a reason (lots of them actually) why he gets those kinds, and numbers, of testimonials. He is THAT good.

He'll also, unlike others, take all the time in the world and explain the market, various coins etc. with you at any show.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tcmitssr:

Yikes, I feel stupid. image

What is YMMV?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    "Your Mileage May Vary" according to google.

• BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Also, he's told me on numerous occasions, that he'll take entire collections, good to bad, and that if/when the time comes for my estate, my wife knows just to contact him. Maybe a 3-6 small coin deal might not interest him (or a bad day which anyone can have) but, all in all, Richard is aces, especially to the typical lifelong collector at any level, IMHO.

But what if he retires FOR REAL before you're ready to sell? image

<< <i>He'll also, unlike others, take all the time in the world and explain the market, various coins etc. with you at any show. >>

Thanks tcmitssr - yes, my actual experience did vary significantly. Although no one else was at his table, in front of or behind me, and my approach was polite, his response to my coins was short and curt, and I was quickly dismissed to essentially take my coins (and business) elsewhere. There was nothing pleasant, polite, courteous, or informative from him. I had no problem if he didn't want to buy the coins, I was just really surprised by his demeanor. He may have been having a bad day, didn't like the color of my shirt, I don't know, but I assure you my six figure collection will go no where near him if and when the time comes. Maybe you are in better standing with him, for whatever reasons. I have never seen coins displayed at his tables, other than bullion related items. I guess he keeps the coins tucked in back somewhere for special customers.
    I'm sure he is successful and a millionaire many times over from being a coin dealer, I'm just giving the OP my opinion based on my actual experience. I don't doubt if you call up offering a large and valuable collection for sale, you'll get the red carpet treatment.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Your Mileage May Vary" according to google.

image >>

Internet talk for "you may have different experiences".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

<< <i>Also, he's told me on numerous occasions, that he'll take entire collections, good to bad, and that if/when the time comes for my estate, my wife knows just to contact him. Maybe a 3-6 small coin deal might not interest him (or a bad day which anyone can have) but, all in all, Richard is aces, especially to the typical lifelong collector at any level, IMHO.

But what if he retires FOR REAL before you're ready to sell? image >>

Warren Mills at Rare Coins of NH is a close 2nd choice and Warren's not retiring anytime soon, if ever. The man lives for coins.

<< <i>

<< <i>He'll also, unlike others, take all the time in the world and explain the market, various coins etc. with you at any show. >>

Thanks tcmitssr - yes, my actual experience did vary significantly. Although no one else was at his table, in front of or behind me, and my approach was polite, his response to my coins was short and curt, and I was quickly dismissed to essentially take my coins (and business) elsewhere. There was nothing pleasant, polite, courteous, or informative from him. I had no problem if he didn't want to buy the coins, I was just really surprised by his demeanor. He may have been having a bad day, didn't like the color of my shirt, I don't know, but I assure you my six figure collection will go no where near him if and when the time comes. Maybe you are in better standing with him, for whatever reasons. I have never seen coins displayed at his tables, other than bullion related items. I guess he keeps the coins tucked in back somewhere for special customers.
    I'm sure he is successful and a millionaire many times over from being a coin dealer, I'm just giving the OP my opinion based on my actual experience. I don't doubt if you call up offering a large and valuable collection for sale, you'll get the red carpet treatment. >>

hey, no problem we're good. image

Richard, usually at shows, is only occasionally at his table. Most of the time, he's evaluating client's collections that are brought to him for sale, be it to auction houses, his show auctions or private deals. I've had to return 3x-4x sometimes to see him when he's there. Many times, he doesn't take a table but rents space at someone else's table. He really flies very low, under the radar, at most shows.

I can perfectly understand your feeling. It's like mine with Legend. I wouldn't buy or sell anything of mine from/to them for the same reasons.

If you're ever so inclined though and give Richard a second chance, I think you'll be surprised at his response. Tell him what's on your mind and I think you'd receive a very speedy apology.
    Sounds fair - based on your testimony, I will give Richard the benefit of the doubt next time I see him, and I assume he's not so bad after all.
    And like I put in one of my early posts, I agree with you that Warren Mills and the team at RCNH is first rate. And I apologize to the OP if we kind of derailed his thread a bit!
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds fair - based on your testimony, I will give Richard the benefit of the doubt next time I see him, and I assume he's not so bad after all.
    >>

That means Bob (tcmitssr) has to give Lejund another chance image
  • Thanks gentleman, among other things, I am searching for a couple of names to give my wife in case I stroke out early!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file