Home U.S. Coin Forum

Observations from Heritage Platinum viewing

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
I happened to be in my LA office this week and took the opportunity to view the upcoming ANA auction coins in the quiet confines of Heritage's Bev Hills office. I had 12 coins on my list which is normally a high number for me. After viewing the coins I have one left from my original list. If I would have bid blind and won any of these coins just based on auction descriptions or photo's from the catalog or online I would have been bitterly disappointed when they got delivered. These were all toned high grade coins.

Of course there were several draw droppers based on their sheer beauty or outright rarity scattered thoughout the boxes I did examine. I did add three new coins to my want list that I would have missed if I didn't view the lots. One even may be a sleeper.

Moral of the story----------View auctions lots in person or hire someone else to do it for you. I could have made several costly mistakes in this auction................Just my humble opinion, I know lots of folks will ignore meimage

MJ
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was there with a friend on Friday. He had 4 coins on his list and we decided on was probably AT, one was too ticky and the other 2 were nice.

There was one major coin of interest to me, but it failed the TDN eye appeal requirement. I'm really against buying coins where my MS62 looks ten times better than the MS65 in question. I did see a few other coins of interest...mostly Bob Simpson dupes.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was there Friday at 9 to 10. I would have loved to have met you..............MJ

The one coin that stayed on my list was a Simpson coin and I added two other Simpson coins to the listimage
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any thoughts on the Duckor set?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    There is no way to be certain unless you have the coin in hand. It's fun when you find a great looking coin with a picture that doesn't do it justice. Internet bidders stay away, so less competition!

• << <i>I was there Friday at 9 to 10. I would have loved to have met you..............MJ

The one coin that stayed on my list was a Simpson coin and I added two other Simpson coins to the listimage >>

Have a feeling most to all of the Simpson coins will hold up in hand. I have never seen such consistent eye appeal and quality across so many different coins.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Not surprisingly, among the lots that I viewed, three groups of coins in the sale stood out noticeably - the Duckor Barber Half Dollars, the Joshua II Mercury Dimes and the Simpson coins.

I hadn't given much thought to the Mercury Dimes, and am embarrassed to say that I was caught off guard by how nice they were.
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gobrechts were pretty darn nice, too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file