Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade the Crusty Busty! 1820!

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
Just got this in today. She is in an ANACS holder. I am planning to cross to NGC or PCGS. Has nice blue and gold peaking through. thoughts??

Ankur

imageimage

All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    EF45 would be my guess.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice one, Ankur! XF40-45 is my bet.
    Lance.
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea about the grade AnkurJ, but I like'er! image
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU 48
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF45...
  • Options
    Would you crack her out or try crossing?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice looking O108, which is the only double die in the series. I would grade it EF40-45.
    Here is a PCGS EF45 O108 to compare it to

imageimage
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ef40
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    VF-35
  • Options
    Im on the XF40 Bus.

Tom
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45 but i dont think it would cross at that
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    You gots to watch out for PCGS/NGC calling it "Questionable Color" (even though it may not be).

If the luster is pretty good, then it looks to me like a 45. These 'Sub Design' 4's do not take wear very well.
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin.
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be a nice O-108 XF40.

How much luster does this one have?.......hard to tell from the pics.

Here's my O-108 AU55 for comparison.

• Options

<< <i>nice looking O108, which is the only double die in the series. I would grade it EF40-45.
    Here is a PCGS EF45 O108 to compare it to

imageimage >>

If I was putting together a XF45 set, this would be the EXACT look I would search for............GREAT looking bustie Chris......image
  • Options
    Has some luster, not that much thougjh. Mostly a crusty coin.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options

<< <i>Would you crack her out or try crossing? >>

Don't crack it, Ankur. Why risk a genuine? Cross at any grade, perhaps?
    Lance.
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF 40, you would have to submit as "cross at any grade" and take your lumps if it comes back 35 if you want it in PCGS plastic Ankur.... definitely do not crack it out. PCGS is getting very suspicious lately of any area of color that doesnt blend into the rest of the coin like the color at 1:00 on the obverse of your coin.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Would you crack her out or try crossing? >>

Don't crack it, Ankur. Why risk a genuine? Cross at any grade, perhaps?
    Lance. >>

I agree with Lance, why risk it being returned in a Genuine holder, just send it as in. You never know, it may just cross.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! The coin is currently in a small white ANACS holder graded VF35. Will try to cross with min grade of 30 as I dont want to get killed on the grade. But I bought it for a reasonable price, so lets hope. I have two others to send in as well.
    Ankur
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options

<< <i>EF 40, you would have to submit as "cross at any grade" and take your lumps if it comes back 35 if you want it in PCGS plastic Ankur.... definitely do not crack it out. PCGS is getting very suspicious lately of any area of color that doesnt blend into the rest of the coin like the color at 1:00 on the obverse of your coin. >>

I'm guessing the toning at one o'clock stands out only because of the lighting. Same for the reverse...compare the two pix.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Looking at Chris' XF45 above, I can see your 1820 being a VF35. It has a little too much wear for a 45 and perhaps even a 40, but I believe ANACS was right on with a 35.

I have heard that PCGS is not too harsh on crossing other TPG slabs in the mid circulated grades. However, give them a NGC AU58 bustie and POOF....watch it magically turn into a PCGS 55......this is just my experience with NGC 58 busties.

Good luck Ankur.
  • Options
    I will probably send to NGC. It seems our hosts are not very kind on crossovers. But you guys are right, I cant risk cracking her out.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks guys! The coin is currently in a small white ANACS holder graded VF35. Will try to cross with min grade of 30 as I dont want to get killed on the grade. But I bought it for a reasonable price, so lets hope. I have two others to send in as well.
    Ankur >>

Your call, Ankur. But I'm not sure I would go with a min VF30 grade. What's the gamble in value, $30? The grader at PCGS may think "Hmm...looks better than a VF30, unless there's some rim damage I can't see. Can't be 100% sure so let's DNC it." You've wasted money.

Remember, a DNC does not necessarily mean a coin can't cross at grade. It means PCGS can't be 100% sure because you won't let them see the third side. Cross-at-any-grade means the grader can look at the slabbed coin and say "yes, it will cross at some grade so let's crack it and get a good look."

FWIW...
    Lance.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF40
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will probably send to NGC. It seems our hosts are not very kind on crossovers. But you guys are right, I cant risk cracking her out. >>

You can send your coin to whatever service you want but I have had better success crossing ANACS CBH's with PCGS then NGC.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I will probably send to NGC. It seems our hosts are not very kind on crossovers. But you guys are right, I cant risk cracking her out. >>

You can send your coin to whatever service you want but I have had better success crossing ANACS CBH's with PCGS then NGC. >>

Examples?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    I am in the XF40 bunch
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin AnkurJ
    My O-108 is in XF plastic if I remember correctly.
    This one has a weaker central strike (as often seen) yet better star definition for comp.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think at least au-53, but the eye appeal is a 58...Nice coin for sure....image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xf45
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think your coin will definately cross at grade and maybe even go up to XF-40.The only coin I ever sent in for a cross-over was an 1817/3 CBH that was Ngc VF-20 and got a Pcgs 25 back.I would leave it in the Anacs small holder rather than send it to Ngc.Pcgs is definately the way to go for resale value.Good Luck!
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A question--not just for the OP but all of you guys who insist on crossing coins out of ANACS holder.

Although I personally will pay just as much for a coin in an ANACS holder as I would be willing to pay for the same coin in PCGS plastic I realise that the market in general doen't agree with me. This constitutes a legit reason for crossing if planning to sell in the near future, but...if the coin isn't currently for sale then what difference does it make what brand or plastic surrounds it? Or for that matter, what number is listed on the grade?

Edit to add: By the way, VERY nice looking coin. Judging from the pic, I would have expected an XF grade from ANACS or PCGS.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    Coin looks like a nice high end EF... Just missing some details here and there and the slight dullness... Not too surprising with PCGS's high standards it graded a VF
  • Options
    The only reason I want to cross it is because I need it for my registry.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess 30-35
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The only reason I want to cross it is because I need it for my registry. >>

I knew PCGS only accepted their own plastic in their registry, but I was under the impression--evidently wrong--that NGC included other TPGs. See, you learn something every day.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    NGC accepts PCGS plastic. PCGS doesn't feel the same way about NGC.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>A question--not just for the OP but all of you guys who insist on crossing coins out of ANACS holder.

Although I personally will pay just as much for a coin in an ANACS holder as I would be willing to pay for the same coin in PCGS plastic I realise that the market in general doen't agree with me. This constitutes a legit reason for crossing if planning to sell in the near future, but...if the coin isn't currently for sale then what difference does it make what brand or plastic surrounds it? Or for that matter, what number is listed on the grade? >>

There are a number of reasons why some collectors move coins to PCGS holders. I realize not everyone agrees, and it is not always smart, financially. But here are some.

1. PCGS-slabbed coins generally command higher prices on resale.
    2. Many collectors use PCGS's online inventory and registry sets to manage their portfolio. Records of purchase, photos, competition, etc.
    3. Trust and security. PCGS (in my experience, anyway) is much better about their guarantee.
    4. From an aesthetics standpoint, and maybe even a storage one, one size/style holder is attractive and tidy. (Granted, rattlers excepted.)

I'm sure there are other reasons.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Well said Lance. I happen to agree on all points.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Straight from PCGS Customer Service: Cross at ANY grade CAN come back GENUINE!!! Specify some grade as a minimum or take a chance. You could specify FR-02 and cut the Gennie out that way...

Correction from PCGS customer service: If the minimum grade is “any”, that means you will accept any numerical grade 1-70
    If the minimum grade is “genuine”, that means you would accept a genuine holder as well.
  • Options
    scoobydeuxscoobydeux Posts: 498 ✭✭
    Love it!

NGC 45, PCGS 40
    "Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end."
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    Without peeking at the other answers I guessed 40/45. I think PCGS will be OK with the color.
  • Options
    LVGTLVGT Posts: 503
    Does anyone have experience crossing very early ANACS slabs? Where the serial number starts with two letter followed by four numbers?
  • Options
    I've had good results on crossovers with those early ANACS holders.

If I remember correctly, one coin crossed at the same grade and the other upgraded one grade at PCGS.

Got any pics of coins in those holders that you plan on sending in?
  • Options
    LVGTLVGT Posts: 503
    Not yet. Just asking as ultimately I'd like every puchase to cross pcgs for my registry. I was just curious if at that time Earlier time anacs grading was more stringent and respected.
  • Options

<< <i>Straight from PCGS Customer Service: Cross at ANY grade CAN come back GENUINE!!! Specify some grade as a minimum or take a chance. You could specify FR-02 and cut the Gennie out that way...

Correction from PCGS customer service: If the minimum grade is “any”, that means you will accept any numerical grade 1-70
    If the minimum grade is “genuine”, that means you would accept a genuine holder as well. >>

Appreciate the clarification! I love it when an answer makes sense.
    Lance.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Straight from PCGS Customer Service: Cross at ANY grade CAN come back GENUINE!!! Specify some grade as a minimum or take a chance. You could specify FR-02 and cut the Gennie out that way...

If the minimum grade is “genuine”, that means you would accept a genuine holder as well. >>

Well... never had a post of mine edited by a mod. Regardless, I'm sure that whomever I spoke to was confused or misinformed, as I was very specific and had to clarify. I sure am glad that the above is true. Thanks Mr. Mod!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file