Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I don't know Buffalos, do you?

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thoughts on this one? Color and toning is true. Tell me about the strike, condition, grade, etc.

Thanks!
Lance.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks OK to me- I do see some die erosion. MS-64
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin Lance!!

Sorry I can't help you out here however I'm all ears, uh....make that eyes in this case and would be curious to learn a little more about this series from the experts out there.

BTW, nice photos, which professional coin photographer do you use image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see lots of die erosion on this late die stage strike.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Please enlighten me, where do you see the die erosion on this coin?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS64? Not seeing a full tail and the bottom feather is not distinct late die state with strike weakness IMO. Hidden rub could put this down to AU58 if I missed it in the above average images you are showing.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I am going to go 62 with a slight chance of 58
    (rub first starts on the eybrow on obverse and shoulder on buffalo)

heavy die erosin is the bubbles in the field and neck

the letters are hard to see / mushy -

weak strike - hardly see the buffalos tail and unstruck areas around obverse ear

carbon spots or PVC on top of head and between top 2 feathers
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MS64? Not seeing a full tail and the bottom feather is not distinct late die state with strike weakness IMO. Hidden rub could put this down to AU58 if I missed it in the above average images you are showing. >>

I don't see any wear on the hair above the ribbon, or on the hip bone, which is much higher than the tail... the lack of a split tail could be from the die being in such a bad state, IMHO... then again, could be the lighting.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    It's a LDS, alright. That didn't influence the grade, though. This wasn't a guess-the-grade game but it's unusual no one was even close.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Perhaps no one came even close to guessing the grade is because of the amazing pics, so come on, fess up, who do you use to image your coins? image

BTW, nice Buffalo image
  • Options
    Thanks, Dave. I shoot my own photos. It's a love/hate thing.
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks, Dave. I shoot my own photos. It's a love/hate thing.
    Lance. >>

It may be a love/hate thing to you Lance, but I happen to LOVE your pics.....GREAT job image

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    The coin looks like a 66 with very clean surfaces. Good strike, although not great. Die erosion makes it appear to not be as well struck as it truly is. I love the toning which indicates subtle iridescence.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well worn die. Not many marks but not very attractive. In my opinion it shouldn't get more than a 62 in today's market.

It's a coin I wouldn't buy.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great looking buff Lance!! The strike is over the top and the coin is beautiful. And to answer the question " do you know Buffs "? Every time I think I know Buffs, I learn something new it's a great series to collect and the design is beautiful. Nice pick-upimage I can't tell luster from images, but I think this piece would grade ms-66. Close ??
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well struck but there are enough good strikes around to go for a better one. I would give it an ms64 or maybe even an ms65. But I wonder if the coin has been cleaned? Perhaps not but that is the first thing that jumped into my mind when I looked at this piece. Compare it to the following 1913 type 1

REVERSE OF ABOVE COIN PICTURED HERE:

BUFFNIXX
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options

<< <i>Well struck but there are enough good strikes around to go for a better one. I would give it an ms64 or maybe even an ms65. But I wonder if the coin has been cleaned? Perhaps not but that is the first thing that jumped into my mind when I looked at this piece. Compare it to the following 1913 type 1

REVERSE OF ABOVE COIN PICTURED HERE:

BUFFNIXX >>

imageimage

If we are going to compare, Lets do it with one that has been graded, NOT a great southern coin! Please....

This 1913 type 1 has been greaded ms-67 with a cac sticker.... That great southern coin looks AU to me, the hip bone and the flank has some rub....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with the Dog. They're pretty easy to find in nice strikes with minimal die erosion. As I understand it, unless the die erosion is severe, PCGS will not penalize the grade --my guess is 66 on the OP. Still you should be able to find a Type 1 without much erosion.

Anyway, here's mine, imaged by Todd:

Always enjoy the Buffalo threads...

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a LDS, alright. That didn't influence the grade, though. This wasn't a guess-the-grade game but it's unusual no one was even close.
    Lance. >>

...just for chuckles, what is the grade? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Really nice pics of a nice coin. This one is really hard for me but I'd guess it's a 65 with lots of die erosion making it look worse. Look at "Liberty"... it looks like it's melting away.... Hey maybe this is a fortune telling coin?
  • Options
    I would like to know the grade also. So give it up Lance, what's the grade????????????
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    This coin is a 65 in a 66 holder. I agree with most re: the LDS limitations.
    It's a nice looking coin, but there are plenty out there with a better look.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file