Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

My 1969 OPC Baseball set---I am getting happier by the minute!

Thanks go out to AL for doing some swapping, trading and outright purchase to upgrade my 1969 OPC set. image

My 1969 OPC Baseball set (#1 on the set registry) is now:

99.54% complete - Only one card remains and I have it, but, its not nice enough
7.91 Grade point average---I have been working to get this up to 8.00 for years!
-The highest possible is 8.40
7.88 Current Set rating
(I started trying to finish this set in June of 2003)

Folks, I am very proud of my set but, somebody PLEASE send me that #198 in NM7 or better!
I want to make it 100% before the end of 2010. I'd love to buy that PSA 10 Mays, but, at
$12,500, well, the wife would beat the life out of me, not to mention, I can think of much more
important things to shell out that kind of do-re-me !

I hope to someday get some photos up there so all can enjoy.

And------This is an open invitation to ANY board member. If I can ever help you in any
way, whether it be questions, guidance or whatever on this-my very favorite OPC set,
please do not hesitate to send a post to me.

I am also still working on getting the 1965-1975 OPC Baseball in the SMR with Joe.
It is a long process, it would seem.

Thanks for listening and all have a nice evening! GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL, by the way
at the National! HEY--SOMEBODY find me that Willie Smith #198 OPC at the show, that
will grade 7 or better at PSA!image I have to warn you though, the BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG problem
with that card is the vertical printer's crinkle. I have about 10 copies of that card and
every single one of them is not centered all that well, but, ALL, that's ALL (10) copies
have the printers crinkle!

Regards,
Tony
KalineFan

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Tony,
    i would love to see some pics from your set.....through my recent adventures in collecting i have fallen for this set because of my love and pursuit of '69 Topps, but i jumped the bandwagon a short time ago and have only a few graded and a couple dozen raw....i guess the manufacturing and quality control on these was pretty poor and i've gotten kind of excited over some acquisitions only to discover disappointments like print wrinkles and miscuts as setbacks and the realization that, like you, i may need to spend a significant portion of my life chasing these things down in high grade! image

good luck finding that final piece of the puzzle......i know i'll be spending added time going after some of these and i'll drop you a note if i ever need a little advice or just a kind word to boost my spirit.....hopefully, some day when you see another collector of these in your rear view mirror, it'll be me. image
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    +1 good guys

great accomplishment sir
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    Awesome collection. I know just how tough those centering issues can be with OPC.

Nathan
  • Options
    itzagoner and julen23.............

GOOD LUCK in your quests and feel free to ask me any question any time and I will try to help.

My first encounter with these was all the way back in 1983 in California at the Long Beach Expo.
    Guess what the first card I bought was? YEP---Card #166 "Kaline's Key Hit Sparks Tiger rally"
    I had seen these previously when I lived in Detroit way back in 1975, but, this was my first time of
    truly "INSPECTING" them carefully. The guy had a whole set and they were all really nice
    (NM/MT quality!) and who the heck would want all those silly commons in MINT?!?!?!imageimage

Well, after doing some checking I found that these cards were not that easy to come by in the
    grades I had seen previously. In fact, through the years, I have found several cards that just don't
    come nice or have the dreaded printer's crinkle!

The search for nice stuff is never easy, but, when it becomes available, you have to buy it or may
    not come along again! I don't like to overpay for anything, but, sometimes, you just have to for
    the right card.

Again, any help I can provide, send me a message. Again, good luck to you all!

PS---that #166 I bought still resides in my "HOLD" Kaline material - It grades PSA 8!

Tony
    KalineFan

• Options
    Thanks to you too as well, tyweb1

Since I am computer stupid, I'll try to get my daughter to put a link
    to the set up there.

Tony
    KalineFan

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks to you too as well, tyweb1

Since I am computer stupid, I'll try to get my daughter to put a link
    to the set up there.

Tony
    KalineFan >>

I prefer to call myself a "tech-no-tard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Very nice effort on your set.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Tony,

I checked my Willie, and it has a big wrinkle in it as well.

Hmmmm, that doesn't sound quite right. Maybe I should edit this......

Bob image
  • Options
    Bob, pls don't check it on my account! image !

I am currently away for 7 more days on biz.

When I return I will try to get some scans going!

Thanks for all the kind words and messages!

Bye for now!

Tony
    KalineFan