Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Raw show pickup (71 Munson) Opinions wanted - Grade in...N3

I picked this up at a show today and wanted to see what the consensus for a potential grade would be. My only concern is the L/R (technically T/B) centering. Thoughts???

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA is tough on 71s. That being said, yours looks like a 7. Nice pickup.
  • Options
    looks like it may be miscut if not I say 7
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Good Day,

6.5+ or if you get the Grader I got on my latest sub, a 2 !!!!!!!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    6 on a bad day, 7 on a good day JMHO
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

check the sides of the card for black ink trail
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Always scary picking up a 71 raw. I would only buy if I had a portable black light and a common to compare size. Looks nice, but I've seen too many board members burned on 71s. Good luck,

You didn't buy it from Waverly, did you?
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    Looks nearly identical to my PSA 6 '71 Munson. Nice pickup, one of my favorite cards. image
    1930's-1950's Cleveland Indians Collector.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pickup - from the scan - if I had to guess - I would say a 6.

Thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    No lower than a 7 if it grades.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I've had 7s that were worse
  • Options
    Even with the snow, I say that's a 7 all day long.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    I vote 6 as well. Hoping you get a 7, though.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's not trimmed or recolored, I see as at least a 7 as far as I can tell from the quality of the scan. My 7 looks a lot worse than that card, so I'm surprised most are calling it a 6.
  • Options
    gtgrad99gtgrad99 Posts: 227 ✭✭

<< <i>check the sides of the card for black ink trail >>

That was actually the first thing I did when I looked at the card. Clean...
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    looks like a 7 to me.sweet!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    7-8 if not recolored. Looks real nice.
  • Options
    1 1 17368992 N3: EVIDENCE OF RECOLORATION 1971 TOPPS 5 THURMAN MUNSON ALL-STAR ROOKIE Card US

Anyone know of other ways to detect recoloration on '71s? I always checked the edges of the cards for ink leakage...is there something else to check?

If everything checks out, is there a chance that a resub will result in an actual grade ala resubbing an EOT? Sorry about the question barrage...
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    holding a black bordered card under a very bright light will usually show recoloration.

A few years ago, I thought I had a flawless Warren Moon RC, but.......no
  • Options
    A black light will show the slight variations in ink.
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Screw it. Still a nice looking card.

Can you get it slabbed as Authentic?
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. It's pretty easy to tell using a 10x loupe and a bright light. Don't just look at the edges. Check the border area as well. If the card doctor was careful, they could touch up the corner without the color running over the edges of the card. You can try to resub but recoloration is pretty cut and dry. I don't think you would get a different result by resubbing it.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Whoops. I said 8OC before reading the part about it not grading. Bummer. Have had that happen on many 71's.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had too many come back recolored so others may have different experiences but from the ones I have seen recolored there is 0% chance they would ever slip by.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Always scary picking up a 71 raw. I would only buy if I had a portable black light and a common to compare size. Looks nice, but I've seen too many board members burned on 71s. Good luck,

You didn't buy it from Waverly, did you? >>

Unfortunately, I was prophetic in my previous posts a few weeks ago. Just add this to the many, many board members that have been burned on raw '71s.

Tony
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    Live and learn, I guess.

Thanks to all who provided tips for finding signs of recoloration. My collecting education continues...
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I haven't had too many come back recolored so others may have different experiences but from the ones I have seen recolored there is 0% chance they would ever slip by. >>

I agree with you.

Also, it is pretty simple to in a card and not have ink spillage on the side of the card.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear, about the card not grading. A black light would be your best bet in checking for recoloring.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Live and learn, I guess.

Thanks to all who provided tips for finding signs of recoloration. My collecting education continues... >>

I like the black UV light the best to quickly see a if something has been altered.

But, if ya don't have one - another simple way is to put the card under a bright light - the "Ott" light is great for this - and view the surface - "tilting" it in difference directions while viewing - sometimes one can see where the ink was applied - if a magic marker was used - you'll see it - whereas looking at the card - straight on - may not reveal the recoloration.

Sorry to hear this - I got nailed when I first started collecting for about 475 bucks - so my 'education' was kind of pricey - it was a white border recoloration.
    Mike