Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My New Addition - I think I will Review - Opinions Please

I have just received this Starr card. I am planning to send in for a review after the show. What do you think? It has killer centering and sharp corners, and new card gloss. Am I over optimistic? Thanks.

PackManInNC

Comments

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Great looking card. Could get at least a half-point bump.
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Good Day,
    I usually am in favor of Crack and Re-Sub. But not in this case. The upper right corner is why it's a nice solid 8 holder, don't think it would get any higher.

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I agree with Neil ... I think it's in the correct slab.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Mike,
    The main reason is that the corner mentioned is not as defined as the other three. When all 4 corners on a card are not exactly alike, and I mean all Sharp or all slightly Not Sharp, but not all exactly alike, graders take off for that.

But with that all said, I just looked it up and an 8 is $2200 and a 8.5 is $4500, and a 9 is $16000. So I would be cracking that and re-subbing it over and over and over!!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

But with that all said, I just looked it up and an 8 is $2200 and a 8.5 is $4500, and a 9 is $16000. So I would be cracking that and re-subbing it over and over and over!!!

Neilimage >>

Yes, for that much money it may be worth trying it once or twice at least.

Great looking card...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    stunning card. i don't even see a label when i view a card so beautiful. nice find.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I would not crack it. It is an 8. Maybe ask for a bump, but don't crack it. If it goes down to a 7, you lose.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If it goes down to a 7, you lose. >>

Sorry, just had to add this after reading that.

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    lol... beautiful. But, it is true. The difference between a 7 and an 8 is substantial. And honestly, how many tales have we heard of cards going in to be regraded and coming out 1 or even 2 grades lower? Better to be safe than sorry. Good day, sir!!! ;-)
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I would not crack that card. Take a shot at one review and see what happens.
  • Options
    It's in the right holder, that right edge looks like it was chewed on.
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments. I do not have the guts to crack this. I will probably sub once and see what happens
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yep I'd review that, not crack it.

Steve
    Good for you.