Home U.S. Coin Forum

Yes Alex, I'll wager on the Doily Double! (Eagle, that is)

DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
Wow . . .

Got a call from a favorite dealer today (thanks Josh) on a Doily he had waiting. Didn't ask for the coin type as I wanted a surprise. Walked in and he handed over 9156.60/7337976 . . . . a 1910-S St. Gauden's in MS60. Yup, this one does look a bit better than a '60', but it'll sit forever in this Doily. The census shows no known Saints in Doilies until now . . .

I'll be saving it for the Smithsonian.

Now back to real coin collecting instead of plastic fondling . . .

Drunner

Comments

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pics?
    Many happy BST transactions
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool......
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheeeez . . I knew someone would ask. Let me see if I can figure out how to image. Someday I'll have to remove my 'loser' status and post pix. I'll work on how in the heck to do it . . .

I need to post some of my toners . . .and the Doily Set . .

Drunner
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wowzers!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Sweet golden nectar!!!
    You got it from Rust Rare coins?
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The census shows no known Saints in Doilies until now . . . >>

I didn't know there was a census. Got a link?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I didn't know there was a census. Got a link? >>

It's a Forum Census.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I didn't know there was a census. Got a link? >>

It's a Forum Census. >>

So it's a very small sample of the overall population but interesting in any event.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PerryHall is correct. Small sampling, but I would add just a touch of detail. I search most major shows (well, that I can get to) on opening day on a high speed 'Doily Run' just to see what might be available. For example, the most recent LB had a total of 0 on display in the entire arena (but there was one held back that I later procured). The ANA 09 in LA had exactly 2 (1935-S San Diego and one Morgan). I can write off the local shows in Utah and OR that I have been to . . . have never seen one in a decade. Although some have said they are available at any major show, I would beg to differ. Even when I picked up the Saint, another customer in the shop looked over my shoulder and said, "Oh, that's the 'rare holder', isn't it?"

Yes, I know. Plastic. It is my one concession to just collecting for the pure sport of it. No real 'hole-filling', 'set-building', etc. Just the thrill of the hunt. I hope I won't have to cough up my numismatic credentials due to this prurient interest in plastic, but at least it's not blow-up dolls, Beanie Babies, or beer cans. They are a part of PCGS history, and that is what enamors then to me.

Heck, no one cares much. This thread sat dormant for days!

OK . . now all of you back to something numismatic !

Drunner
    It only sat dormant because I was on vacation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file