Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay seller charging tax but not listed on auction.

When I place a bid on Ebay auction I always factor in the shipping fee and wheter are not they are charging tax. I won 2 bids from seller and I noticed he was charging tax even though he didn't mention it on the auction. Would you complain to seller or just pay the extra amount ? Thank you for any response.

Comments

• Options
    Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496
    I would say something and report it to ebay. Sellers must list the tax in the auction.

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    If the seller is in the same state, I'd just pay it and move on. Actually, I'd just pay it and move on no matter what.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I would definitely speak up!
    who dey!

looking for 1964 topps baseball psa graded 7+
  • Options
    Honestly you suppoused to be paying tax on it anyway. It won't be long til all sellers have to charge tax.

As a buyer the power is all in your hands with little repercussion from the seller.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Taxes..UGH!!!
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    I would just pay it although you may want to inform the seller they would be well advised to include this in their item description to avoid NPB or negative feedback implications.

Snorto~
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    One point I'd like to make, the seller is not charging tax, he is collecting tax for the state.

If he is not in your state, I don't believe you have to pay it. You can claim that you pay it

in your state as a use tax. Or that you have a tax ID for resale purposes. Now you never mentioned the amount

if it is substantial I'd balk. If we are talking a few dollars here I'd prolly pay it and move on.

I'm no CPA this is simply what I believe to be true.

Steve

PS How much are we talking about?

Good for you.
  • Options
    You could contact his state to see if he is registered with a tax permit in his state. If he is not then he could be in violation of the law depending on what the state laws are.

You are suppoused to pay taxes to your state on any item you buy online its just almost unenforceable. Now if some new laws pass all sellers may be required to collect a tax on all items sold and ensure it gets to the proper agencies.
  • Options
    maxdomemaxdome Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    The tax is only a little over ten dollars, so its not much. It's just that I think the seller should mention it like all the other sellers that I have dealt with on Ebay.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Max

I agree wholeheartedly.

Steve
    Good for you.