Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about pack grading

I bought a PSA graded 75 Topps mini wax pack today (not in hand yet) that was graded 7. There is a Schmidt card showing on the back of pack. How, if at all, does the 7 play into the cards themselves? Is the grading just on how the wrapper "fits"? Corner condition for the grade have an effect of the quality of cards that may be in it? Any thoughts are welcome as this is the first pack purchase like this.

Comments

• Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    From The PSA website:

PSA Pack Grading Standards

NM 7: Near Mint. A PSA NM 7 pack is a pack that exhibits similar attributes to a PSA NM-MT 8 but it may possess one or more of the following flaws: There may be slight wear on all four corners, a few pin-hole sized tears on the corners or edges, a very minor tear in the wrapper itself, light toning or soiling on the seal, and/or a small stain, possibly due to water or mildew damage. A small allowance may be made for very light gum bleeding or soiling through the wrapper, not to reach the size of the gum contained within.
    Note: This is also the highest grade a cello pack can receive if the top card is 100/0(miscut).
    Note: This is the highest grade a pack can receive if the wax wrapper is a complete manufacturer miswrap, where there is a severe centering imperfection to the wrap.

• Options
    Thanks, I read that but was hoping for maybe some first hand experience as to graded packs that were then ripped. Should have worded my question a little differently.
  • Options
    I've ripped a few graded packs, the pack grade has NOTHING to do with the cards under the wax.
  • Options
    Thanks, that is what I was hoping to hear.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    You're going to rip a pack with Schimdt on the back???

OH NO!

I bought this yesterday:

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    I figured I would when I get it in hand.

• Options
    I wouldn't rip it. (either of the above packs)

I just ripped a PSA8 1972 OPC series 2, lost 3 cards to the gum seepage, nothing major just a Billy Williams IA
  • Options

<< <i>You're going to rip a pack with Schimdt on the back???

OH NO!

I bought this yesterday:

image >>

That is a nice one you got there.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Thank you, it's an upgrade for my OPC unopened pack run. Couldn't pass it up at $50.

That's a beaut of a '75 mini pack...I wouldn't open it!

I need a '75 OPC in PSA 9.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I would not open that '75. IMO it's worth more unopened considering you have a star showing. Buy another without a star showing and RIP AWAY!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Now you guys have me 2nd guessing myself.
  • Options
    That Schmidt is OC top to Bottom, a PSA 7 if you are lucky, worth much more as is.
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    I'd rip the psa 7 pack... with all the 1975 minis that hit the market last year pulling a 8 or 9 on a pack has been very easy.

Good Luck if you rip!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the Schmidt card is OC T/B but then again the Schmidt card is a shorty (green/yellow) which probably wouldn't get holdered anyway these days. I have a couple 75 mini wax packs with Schmidt showing on back, a PSA 7 and a PSA 8..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.