Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canon Powershot A480 review for coin pictures

For anyone looking for an easy to use cheap (mine was £50 second hand) point and shoot camera I would highly recommend this!

This was my first shot no stand just free hand and no lens attachments. The only thing I had to do was slightly depress the button to take the picture which focused in the image and then fully pressed the button to take the picture.

The bottom of the coin is slightly out of focus as I wasn't directly above it but the colour has come out accurate:

Some more taken again without a stand and no tweaking or colour editing used. These are straight from the camera I have only cropped the edges:

and my 1644 back from CGS yesterday. I wanted to image it before it went back to the bank today.

I'm sure if I set up a stand and better lighting the pictures would be even better I am very impressed with this camera.

Build Quality: 3.5/5 its nice and light but feels a bit plasticy and cheap.
Picture Quality: 4.5/5 maybe not a DSLR but for a cheap point and shoot its great.
Ease of use: 4.5/5 I didn't even get a manual with it but don't need one, easy to use.

Highly recommender for a cheap coin imaging camera with no real need for any add ons or bolt ons.

Comments

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pics - really nice (except the bronze - helllooo lol)

Why is the Unite (darn nice one - don't you hate it when it HAS to go bank into the vault image )slabbed rotated so much. That doesn't bother you? The reverse seems OK but that weird then.

Thanks for sharing

Marc
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Nice pics - really nice (except the bronze - helllooo lol)
    Just pocket change for image purposes only. image

Why is the Unite (darn nice one - don't you hate it when it HAS to go bank into the vault )slabbed rotated so much. That doesn't bother you? The reverse seems OK but that weird then. Thanks for sharing

Yes its a shame when the stuff has to go to the bank but its safer then it lying around here.

I don't mind the obverse being slightly rotated. The reverse die would have been fixed, probably into a wooden stump the obverse die held in hand before being struck. The person holding it obviously wasn't too bothered about if it was lined up, at least it is well centred though.

• Options
    DaltonistaDaltonista Posts: 354 ✭✭
    Hus, did you use the macro setting on these?
    They're excellent images , especially considering they're grab shots.
    Have fun with your new toy!

Best to all ~
    Tom

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Options
    No, just shot them in auto mode. It seems to focus and set an iso itself.

A few more images I just shot tonight.

• Options
    DaltonistaDaltonista Posts: 354 ✭✭
    Seriously, try macro and the shutter delay...you'll be glad you did.
    And maybe something like this very inexpensive Joby Gorillapod if you
    don't have a copystand or tripod that would work in a vertical situation.

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Options