Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

FS: NGC AU55 1861 Clark, Gruber Quarter Eagle, K-5

1861 $2 1/2 Clark, Gruber & Co. Quarter Eagle AU55 NGC. K-5, R.4. The P and K of PIKES are recut, while the star above the P is not recut, marking this as the K-5 variety. This variant always appears with strike weakness on Liberty's cheek and above the ear, and correspondingly on the reverse shield. This piece is graded AU55 by NGC based on the luster remaining, which is considerable. There are no singular abrasions, and the surfaces are pretty orange-gold. A nice AU example from this last year of the Colorado Gold Rush. Listed on page 376 of the 2009 Guide Book. (#10139)

All reasonable offers considered. PM me if interested, thanks!

Edited to remove ANACS from first line of description (thanks to my father for pointing my error out), I cracked it out of the ANACS slab and submitted to the coin raw to NGC who graded it AU55.

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>imageimage >>

The images (above) you posted in your BST do nothing for this territorial.

The pics (below) you had in your thread earlier this year when it was still in the ANACS slab are much better to get a feel for what it may look like in hand.

imageimageimage

Original US Coin Forum Thread with lots of info on this Clark Gruber

Good luck on the sale as this is a sweet chunk of gold! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All reasonable offers considered. PM me if interested, thanks! >>

You might want to turn ON your PM feature so members can contact you image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The images (above) you posted in your BST do nothing for this territorial.

The pics (below) you had in your thread earlier this year when it was still in the ANACS slab are much better to get a feel for what it may look like in hand.

Original US Coin Forum Thread with lots of info on this Clark Gruber

Good luck on the sale as this is a sweet chunk of gold! image >>

Hey thanks! I couldn't find that original thread. Good job! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>All reasonable offers considered. PM me if interested, thanks! >>

You might want to turn ON your PM feature so members can contact you image >>

Good idea! image Thanks! I need all the help I can get. PM function: On
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    What is the value range on this piece!! I like it!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options

<< <i>What is the value range on this piece!! I like it! >>

Heritage Auctions evaluated the coin last week and estimated this coin will hammer with B/P around $6000 - $6500.

2009 Red book p. 376 lists C + G 1861 2 1/2 D AU @ $7,750.

It's difficult to pinpoint a value, not a lot of data on C + G Quarter Eagles, the best I've found is Heritage Auctions sale archives.

I'd like to sell the coin privately and not go through the Heritage Auction time line and process.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Way cool historical gold!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.