Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best way to take off an autograph from a mini-helmet?

I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to take off writing on a helmet? I want to get rid of a personalization on a helmet I have without ruining the finish of the helmet. I'm pretty sure it's just a regular black sharpie. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Andrew

Comments

• Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    Rubbing alcohol seems to work good for me. I don't know what it would do to the finish though.
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    On non-porous surfaces, cheap women's hairspray works well. Test it's effect on the finish by trying a little bit on the inside of the helmet.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On non-porous surfaces, cheap women's hairspray works well. Test it's effect on the finish by trying a little bit on the inside of the helmet. >>

Hey Bob,

By "cheap", are you referring to the women, or the hairspray?

Steve
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen (dealers who tried to get rid of personalizations), acetone and hairspray both ruin the finish.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for al the suggestions - I'd have heard both rubbing alcohol and hairspray working, so I'll try it on an inconspicuous spot and see what happens.

• Options
    A couple of other products that I know will work. One that I know is available at any Home Depot or Lowe's is GOO-GONE. The other, I am not sure if the product is still available or not, but I still have some is called ENERGINE. Good Luck.
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I've used Energine (which is alot like acetone) to remove scuffs and other marks from things (non-hobby related). I never recall it damaging a surface.
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    What about car wax/polish?
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.