Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Deleted my #5 1900 to Present Type Set

I mentioned in a earlier thread that I thought the controversy over the make-up of the Type Sets was a good thing for me because it made me think about what I was collecting and why. I have decided that I have been competing and not really collecting the types of coins I really like. I have spent days and weeks looking for a higher grade ( not better ) Barber Dime etc. when I don't even really like the coin. LOL, it was really getting to the point where I was almost totally focused on the plastic and not the coin, just so iI could add points to my set.

I must admit it is alot of fun seeing the UPGRADED red sign next to my set, and watching for what everyone else is doing. I am going to take a break and sell some of my coins ( David Lawrence will have what I pull), and get back to what I truly enjoy about collecting.

Greg

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Greg. You're doing what is right for you. The nice thing is knowing the Registry will ALWAYS be here should you decide to change your mind and return.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Greg, I'm sorry to see the set go but am very pleased you have discovered what you really enjoy about collecting. I must admit my Barber half upgrade was not as satisfying as my new 3cn. I like my old Barber, it has lots of character (and scratches). I'm keeping both and if I need to sell one I'm selling the new, high grade one. It is much more fun (for me) to buy a new type coin than it is to upgrade. Still I might upgrade a coin or two as not every coin in my set is PQ image

Maybe one of the new type sets will tickle your fancy. As Braddick says you could always register some coins later. That way you could see lots on red "added" icons. Speaking of added icons there was a new set registered at %100 complete.
  • Options
    Carl,

Look close at that new set and see if any of the coins seem familiar.

Greg,

On one hand, I'm sorry to see you go, but I do move up another spot. image Your competition will be missed. Although you may not have personally liked all of the coins required for the set, it appears that you did have some nice ones.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    I have decided that I have been competing and not really collecting the types of coins I really like. I have spent days and weeks looking for a higher grade ( not better ) Barber Dime etc. when I don't even really like the coin.

This shockingly sounds like someone admitting that they were "upgrading" coins based on grade number in order to get a higher Registry Set rating without regard to the quality of the coin. imageimageimageimageimage

For a long time I've been saying RS players are doing this and people kept bashing me for saying it. Always telling me there was no proof and it wasn't true. Always saying that it was, if any, a minor percentage of the RS population.

I wonder how many more people will come to the same realization as clevegreg did?

I wonder how many people don't care about the coins, but just the number on the slab: Example After all, isn't a PR70 with a fingerprint on the coin better than a flawless PR69? Hey, it'll get you more Registry Set points and that's all this hobby is about. image
  • Options
    I did the same thing to my 1900 Type set and my Modern Type set. It is true people get caught up in the "thrill of the hunt", but I was doing it for the wrong reason. I got back into collecting with Morgans and State Quarters, so I am going to put most of my effort into those two series.

With all the talk as of late it just seemed like a good idea to "get back to the basics".

PCGS is running a very big marketing ploy on collectors. Plain and simple that is all Registry sets are.

I thank Greg for his orignal post on this subject and I also thank PCGS for being the company they are and jolting me into remembering why I started to collect coins!

Jim

• Options
    I have been deciding over the last couple of months whether to place my Kennedy collection in the registery or not. In truth, the registery's top places are to be had by those of us with the top bank accounts. I mean if my mother was a millionaire, she could have a number 1 set also and she doesn't know the first thing about coins. All she would have to know is to go for the higher grade. But on the other hand I like this group of people that I have met on these boards and I doubt if I would have met you all otherwise. BOB
  • Options

<< <i>For a long time I've been saying RS players are doing this and people kept bashing me for saying it. Always telling me there was no proof and it wasn't true. Always saying that it was, if any, a minor percentage of the RS population. >>

I think people object to it as a blanket stereotype, but there's no denying that there could be some folk who are more interested in the competition than the coins. image

<< <i>I wonder how many more people will come to the same realization as clevegreg did? >>

There are probably a few out there... will they own up to it? That's a good question, and really it's up to each individual.

<< <i>I wonder how many people don't care about the coins, but just the number on the slab: Example After all, isn't a PR70 with a fingerprint on the coin better than a flawless PR69? Hey, it'll get you more Registry Set points and that's all this hobby is about. >>

I'll say it agian, I think the majority of us, when we replace a coin with one graded higher expect to be pleased with our upgrade. I know that if I paid for an upgrade and didn't feel upon viewing it and comparing it to the upgrade-ee that it was a step above, I'd sell it before it hit the desk. image

I can appreciate clevegreg's decision. I've shared this analogy before... I used to attend a lot of "Audiophile" shows to look at new hardware and hear some new music. I once spoke to an equipment designer that said there were people out there that got so obsessed with upgrading their equipment that they lost interest in the music. I'd hate to see that happen to collectors of coins... to become so obesssive over the grade that the coin itself didn't really matter.

Sad,

Not a problem with me... when I obsess over my coins, I do it with a loupe. I don't even see the plastic.

madmike
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been falling into the same trap a little, too- I like the 1900-present, but it is really not my #1 collecting desire. I couldn't care less about Ike dollars and Kennedy halves, and pretty much anything minted in my lifetime (I was born with the advent of clad coinage).

But 1900-present is a subset of what I really do enjoy, which is a complete type set. Yes, I am buying the plastic, in many cases. Guilty as charged. But in most cases, I also enjoy the coin inside.

Once I finish the 1900-present, I will have "eaten my vegetables", so to speak- then I can move on to some nice early 19th century coins for "dessert". image

Or maybe I will follow the irresistible pull of "The Dark Side"... my old love of British coins has been tugging at me again lately. I have always wanted to take up ancients, too, but never got around to buying the books and educating myself.

Best of luck to you, clevegreg. I hope your collecting experience is rich and enjoyable, whatever it is you decide to pursue.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.