Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

September SMR

I've sure been one of the loudest, most consistent gripers about this flawed magazine, but in fairness, kudos to PSA for their effort in this latest issue.

The magazine is full of well written articles, one of them even giving us a personal background on Joe! I read an excellent story on Don Spence, collector supreme. And coverage of the National was spiced up with individual articles about nearly every Baltimore sports icon.

Nice job, guys!

Quality like this each and every month will be much appreciated!

Nick

Comments

• Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    it was one of the better SMR's... normally the awards addition this time of year is very good.
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    I love the issue. My biggest gripe is that the mag should list some of the sets that they took out to only put online because they dont show much action. One of those listings is 1954 Dan Dee which are smoking right now. I wouls still like to see other sets that may get me to start one like a 1960 leaf set or a 1954 Red Heart set.
  • Options
    I was going to comment on the issue as well. Nice issue overall and reading the annual awards is always fun. But there's a great example of my biggest gripe, and it's in every issue.

Whenever there's an article about a set or collector, there are far too many pictures of the collector, the collector eating dinner, the collector's wife, and the kids, grandkids, cars, pets and so on. I can't remember exactly, but there were like 9 pictures of Donald Spence with some one or something. I agree it is nice to get a perspective of their lives and family's and it's an important part of the article, but in a magazine that has limited space for articles it's way too much. I'm sure everyone here would rather see more pictures of the actual collections and less (2 or 3 is ok) pictures of the collector. I think the T206 collector guy grinning at me in multiple pictues holding cards on his couch got me going on this one a few years ago.

One other thing that I would like to see changed is that articles on card sets or players describe the backs of the cards in text. Why not just show a picture of the back of the card instead?