Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Silver Halfpenny

THis one just arrived today. Amazingly tiny little bits of silver, I am surprised that any remain to be collected as these would easily get lost in the lint in your pocket. This one is much nicer than my image, very attractive blue-green and tan toning and a pretty decent strike.

Henry VII, 1485-1509

And I did not buy this on a whim, I actually made a decision to go ahead and add the early silver issues to my type set of halfpennies. I also found an Edw. III and Richard II that are winging their way from London as we speak. I am also happy to add they are also remarkably cheap to collect.

Comments

• Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Nice looking silver 1/2 d. I like the portrait, and the overall look of that coin. Is that S-2244 with a single arch on the crown?
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭

<< <i>THis one just arrived today. Amazingly tiny little bits of silver, I am surprised that any remain to be collected as these would easily get lost in the lint in your pocket. This one is much nicer than my image, very attractive blue-green and tan toning and a pretty decent strike.

Henry VII, 1485-1509

I am also happy to add they are also remarkably cheap to collect. >>

A decent portrait on this one. Combine that with a full flan and legend and buying is a no-brainer for any Edward IV-Henry VIII halfpenny. Prior to that a full flan becomes easier except for Henry IV (which I am not sure exist as such) and by the time you get to the Edwards life becomes cheaper still.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very neat. I've never actually seen a medieval halfpenny that wasn't... well... half a penny.

<< <i>I am surprised that any remain to be collected as these would easily get lost in the lint in your pocket. >>

Actually, that could be one reason why there ARE some remaining to be collected- not only did they get lost in pocket lint, but I'd also imagine quite a few made it into the dirt, where they were recovered by detectorists or archaeologists centuries later. It's one way a coin can escape melting.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.