Home Sports Talk
Options

ANOTHER ex NFLer dies way too young

DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
Harry Galbreath, an offensive lineman who played nine years in the NFL after starring at the University of Tennessee, died Tuesday at the age of 45.

His death was announced by the Tennessee athletic department and confirmed by CSX Transportation in Mobile, Ala., where Galbreath was working at the time of his death.

The Dolphins selected Galbreath in the eighth round of the 1988 NFL Draft at No. 212 overall. He was named to the NFL's rookie team that season, then went on to play four more seasons in Miami before signing with Green Bay.

Galbreath spent three seasons with the Green Bay Packers and one with the New York Jets before retiring at the end of the 1996 season.

The Clarksville, Tenn., native started for the Vols for three seasons and was named to the 1987 All-Southeastern Conference team. He played in every game of his four-year collegiate career.
STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• Options
    seems to happen way to often these days
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    what is going on?????

RIP
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that many thousands of violent collisions with other players, along with the use of PED's by most players, is not condusive to a long life span.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    People aren't designed to be this big and do that sort of thing. Korey Stringer dropping dead on the practice field a few years ago was no fluke. Guys like Conrad Dobler and Walt Sweeney were/are virtually immobile a few years after retirement. When the NFL players had to play offense and defense there was no place for a 325 pound player. A guy like that could never rush the passer. But now, MOST offensive linemen are 300+ pounds. Many are upwards of 330. Do we really expect these guys to live a long time? I know Harry Galbreath wasn't that big when he played, but 6'1" 295 lbs as a player is not a healthy weight. Something has got to change. Just a shame to see a guy that was from all accounts a good guy pass at such a young age.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.