Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How has + grading influenced the Registry so far ?

I have not seen + grading influence the Set Registry thus far as I do not know of any instance where + grades propelled any Set Registry participant
to a top spot. Is it to early to see any influence. I ,for one , will wait some time before I take my personal coins in for regrading.

Is there anyone Gung-Ho to resubmit their coins for plusses ?

Stewart

Comments

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not after what I have read here. My hat is off to the brave souls who had the guts to list what happened when they sent a coin(s) in for Plus. I am sure there are many more timid folks who dare not say what happened when their coins were sent in.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • dcgolferdcgolfer Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Hello Stewart, it's been a while. I sent the silver portion of my Roosevelt set in for Secure Plus grading and did very well. Of the 48 coins involved, 9 were upgraded with a plus and one coin received a full point bump. The set was already #1, so it didn't actually change the standings. It did however get me a lot closer to the retired #1 all-time set, which was a Just Having Fun set. It is now within range, and I think I might be able to catch it in the next year or two, where before it seemed about 5 or 6 years away.

Best Regards,

Dan Close
  • Hello Stewart. Look over at the 50 piece Commem type set catagory. You will see that the top two guys sent in quite a few of their coins for the secure plus service. There was quite the furious battle going on for the top spot. The plus grading had a great deal of relevance to the outcome.
    David Schweitz
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not in any of my sets, but it has affected which coins I place in my registry set, as I would prefer to have a 66+BN "knockout" over a 66RB "blah" coin. In all, I think I'm done submitting coins strictly for the plus. That said, the "secure" aspect still is a draw for me.
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭

Referring to Dan's Roosie set, Before Secure Plus was rated 69.01. The number 2 set sent in his set and received 3 plus designations
    and is now rated 69.05. If Dan had not sent in his set and received the upgrades he did he would have lost the #1 spot.
    Dan's set is now rated 69.17. Even with the huge regrade expense with Secure Plus IMHO Dan received 3x that in value increase
    for his set.
  • This does show that those who get the top spots aren't there with coins that just barely make the grade--they've managed to find some of the top coins within the grade, even in the top of the populations.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick - The #2 Roosie set did NOT send his "set" in for secure plus. Of the coins that were submitted though, I know #2 was very pleased with his results, including a new pop 1/0 1961-D (ex: JHF) and a pop 2/0 1952-S (ex JHF). Both of these coins I believe were won in the Superior sale of JHF's silver dimes. Too bad the retired sets can not continue to get upgraded by PCGS when easily identifiable coins from the retired sets get plused later and are entered in new registry sets. I know both you and I would have many of our old dimes moving up in grade to this day! Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • scherscher Posts: 924
    My old 50 pc. commem set has had a pretty big
    lead on the all time best but retired for 5 yrs or so.
    now that+'s have enterred that set is now .001
    ahead of 2 sets that wouldnt be close otherwise..
    not sourgrapes but....just sayin..the set will now
    surely be surpassed with the advent of plus's...
    Bruce Scher
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Hello Stewart. Look over at the 50 piece Commem type set catagory. You will see that the top two guys sent in quite a few of their coins for the secure plus service. There was quite the furious battle going on for the top spot. The plus grading had a great deal of relevance to the outcome. >>

I can attest to that! image

• Stewart, I would just comment that Brian Wagner has had a very high success rate on upgrading coins he has recommended for Secure Plus regrade. I am not certain his current success rate but definitely very impressive. When he says a coin has a good shot for upgrade, he is usually right. This is obviously a result of his having one of the "best eyes" for Copper small cents, a fact I am sure you are aware!
    Jonathan
    In fact..i just got bumped..
    it took a bunch of +'s..but
    my old retired 50pc set is
    no longer alltime finest..wonder
    how many of those old coins would've
    plussed today?
    Bruce Scher
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "wonder how many of those old coins would've
    plussed today?"

Probably PLENTY!!

As I mentioned before, too bad the retired sets can not be updated when coins get plused on resubmission.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Bruce,
    Great coins speak far louder than numbers on holders...image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

GUYS, - I was asking this because I wondered why PCGS will start giving out + grades to non secure holders ? Perhaps they are not getting the number of submissions they originally perceived ?

Jonathan - Brian has a very good eye. However most of his upgrades were with Red/Brown coins

I don't know of any major copper collectors upgrading scarce ms66 red coins, ms 67 red coins or Proof 67 red copper coins.

Stewart
  • Stewart:
    Funny how you mention that. First upgrade Brian did was for a 1910 PR66RD MPL that you formerly owned that now resides in a top 5 RED MPL Registry Set. It received a + designation. I seem to recall you telling me you tried upgrading it yourself before PCGS introduced the Secure Plus service. If nothing else, this demonstrates what a great eye you have, and how PCGS has provided all of us with a vehicle to improve grades on coins that are deserving.
    Jonathan
  • CalebCaleb Posts: 739

<< <i>"wonder how many of those old coins would've
    plussed today?"

Probably PLENTY!!

As I mentioned before, too bad the retired sets can not be updated when coins get plused on resubmission.

Wondercoin >>

If the certification numbers stay the same, why not. Wouldn't any set whethered retire or active be adjusted by what ever grade the certification number has assigned to it?

If a coin is sent in for regrading under the "Secure Plus" program and a new certification number is generated then wouldn't the old certification number just disapear and any set(s) using it would just show a blank slot? image

What ever happened to “buying the coin, not the holder”? Have I ever paid a premium for a nice looking coin, yes and I didn’t need to see no “+” on the label either. Just the fact that the “+” is not given to the retired sets tell me that it isn’t about the coin anymore and you can buy Registry points if you want too. I’m not going to play that game, I’ve already paid for an opinion and if PCGS didn’t get it right the first time, why pay for it a second time?

What is next, a 1 point jump for an “EDS” (Early Die State) and a half point jump for “MDS” (Mid Die State)? Yes I know that there is a premium for ultra cameos verses cameos or non cameos

These marketing gimmicks are starting to go overboard.
    Caleb..do you really think nobody else
    buys the coin and not the holder? or
    that anyone else has paid a premium
    for great coins that have the right kind of
    look?..plenty of folks still do those things..
    thats why you see such a disparity paid for
    coins with similar grades..I have many coins
    that i have paid substancially more because of
    that eye appeal than similarly graded coins that
    just arenot top notch eye appeal wise.
    Bruce Scher
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding whether or not retired sets should get upgraded later, after the coins are sold and then upgraded by +, imho, they shouldn't.
    Does the retired set get upgraded if the coin itself gets upgraded? When sent back for a grade guarantee, if it stays the same serial number, does it go up or down based on the coin? I don't think so, right?

So, no, it doesn't.

Is it fair? I see both sides having valid arguments on this. The way I look at it, once someone decides to retire a set, it is what it is at that moment in time.

I have a few half cents that I am tempted to try for a +, as they are nice...they also had the CAC on them when I bought them so if I sent them in, I would lose that. If I did it, maybe the set would move up though. As it is, it is what it is, the coins are what they are, and I am ok without plussing them for the registry rat race right now.

Dan....congrats on bumping up your silver roosies!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭
    So far the pluses have given me an extra 3 points. Plus an upgrade along with a plus to make it 4 points. That's only from 3 submissions so far......
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When sent back for a grade guarantee, if it stays the same serial number, does it go up or down based on the coin? >>

It goes down. I've seen the grades lowered in retired sets, and for the coins I had registered and then had downgraded. >>

Really? That isn't right because a coin may turn (grow spots, etc) that didn't exist when it was originally graded and put into a set.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The one coin I sent in got the + so I guess it has influenced my set.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's made a few rethink how they have been building their collections. Combine stricter grading standards with a new grade designation and registry participants are playing by a new set of rules. Waiting to unload on the first next high graded slab that makes improvements to the gpa without regards to the quality of the coin has turned out to be the worst way to build a registry set after all.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection