Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1982 Wrestling All Stars BGS 9.5 Ric Flair

Thought some of you might want to watch this auction. It will be interesting to see how it ends up.

Ric Flair

Comments

• So what did you bid on this one?
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will tell you after the auction is over. What is interesting is that all of the other bidders so far did not bid on the PSA 10. The interest is getter broader for these cards.

One thing that I was happy to see is a Flair sold for $75 a few days ago in EX condition at best in a best offer auction in two days.

I have 8 Flair's so it is nice to see the demand is strong.
  • What a great card. Do you get a 10% discount for having 10% of the card missing?
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    I hope you're using a snipe program this time.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Based on those sales, I guess it's good news for me that I have a ton of these in top loaders?
    I am assuming your kidding, but if you do and want to sell them I am always buying at a price I like.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    What would a PSA 9 of this card sell for?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
    Don't really know. There has not been one on EBAY that I have ever seen. There are four graded in that grade. I would suspect $300 or more. With EBAY as you know, it just depends on who sees the auction and how bad they want it.

I wanted the PSA 10 so it would match the set I am building. I think the BGS scale in a lot of cases hurts the selling price. This one has a 9 for corners and three 9.5. I think my card is nicer so I will not go as high as I did for the PSA 10.

As I said before unfortunately there are a lot of new bidders for these cards. It used to be me and the guy selling this card going head to head a lot of times but now there are a lot of bidders I don't recognize. Because the supply of nice cards is so low, it doesn't take many bidders to drive the price up.

Every new auction sells and the prices are still climbing. I realize most on here think Wrestling Cards are lamb but this is when it was as close to real as it could get. There are lot of people that have fond memories of the old wrestling so the nostalgia factor is kicking in and the facts behind this set make for a great collectable. I am selling my Jordan rookie right now on EBAY and you can get one of those at anytime in any grade. The prices will not be going any where except maybe down. When you have to wait weeks for an item to even show up that makes for a card or set that can move higher. That is what we have here.

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Dpeck, Are you the wrestling card guy who emails the seller and tells him how much you've bid because you trust that they won't shill you? Someone told me about you and your wrestling thread, but I never saw it. If thats you, do yourself a favor and use the snipe option and don't talk to the seller about what you plan to bid.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
    Do you really think I am stupid enough to email the seller what I plan to bid?

In that thread I mentioned I emailed the seller to find out more about where he got the cards.

You are the Strasburg bull at 1 million who tried to convince me it was worth that and I gave you the road map as to why it would not be and how the price would collapse prior to the end of the auction.

I have an advanced degree in Economics from one of the top business schools in Florida and a very succesfull career in finance, I am not your trypical internet bozo.

We're all impressed Dpeck. Keep up the good work. By the way, which highly touted business school in Florida did you come from?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

I went to Rollins College in Winter Park, FL
    By the way I did not join these boards to argue. I thought it would be fun to talk to other experienced collectors. I am not sure why there is so much hate and negativity on these boards. It makes no since to me.

Nice

Just checked the site, I don't fit in. Sorry.
  • KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    It's a wonder no one sticks around here. You have a guy that is passionate about the cards he collects and tries to share some information and then some d*ck bag has to come on and start sh*t.
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
    Robert- Its the same BS with that guy on every thread. Several people told me about this guy and how he likes to publically post what his bids are for cards, despite numerous board members begging him not to do so because it invites shill bidding. On several different threads people have pointed this out, but when people try to offer him prudent advice, he responds with "I have an advanced degree in Economics from one of the top business schools in Florida and a very succesfull career in finance." Seriously? Who says that?

<< <i>Robert- Its the same BS with that guy on every thread. Several people told me about this guy and how he likes to publically post what his bids are for cards, despite numerous board members begging him not to do so because it invites shill bidding. On several different threads people have pointed this out, but when people try to offer him prudent advice, he responds with "I have an advanced degree in Economics from one of the top business schools in Florida and a very succesfull career in finance." Seriously? Who says that? >>

Well, if that's true then I apologize. Anyone who publicizes their bids or tells the seller what they plan to bid is completely ignorant; that is if they plan to win the item. Doesn't sound very economical to me
    Robert

I said that because the last time you started with me was when the Strasburg card was at a million and you took great offense to me saying it was not worth that.

I gave you every rational reason as to why the card would collapse and ultimately never sell for that. You insisted it was a 1/1 and the moon was the limit.

I have posted in less then 10 threads. When someone suggested I was making it up that I was bidding on the Flair card I said that the current bid of $510 was me. Who cares?? If I want to over pay for a card in your mind that is your opinion and really doesn't matter.

Lets face it, to buy a card of a wrestler for $1,225 you have to make some cash.

If you want to see who I am feel free to look at my Jordan for sale PSA 9 on EBAY right now. I think it will hurt when you see I am not a tool like you think.

• nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

<< <i>Thought some of you might want to watch this auction. It will be interesting to see how it ends up.

Ric Flair >>

Ya I think I will watch it. I didn't realize wrestling cards brought in that much moola.
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Is it just me, or is the lower left corner screwed on this 9.5?
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
    I think it is just the scan, this was a PSA 10 that he crossed over to a BGS. I did buy a Jesse Ventura from him that he did the same thing on and the top edge looked a little weak.

My PSA 10 is flawless which I was thrilled when I got it.

<< <i>Is it just me, or is the lower left corner screwed on this 9.5? >>

Ouch, sure looks like it.
    I actually like reading DPeck's comments (and others) about 80's era wresting cards because I know very little about them and I agree the auctions for them on ebay are pretty active lately. I was trying to use humor to point out that some people here don't like it when he tries to put himself on a pedestal with repeated claims of superior educational background (and the endless Wall Street trading references are stale too). Thats all. But the commentary on wrestling cards etc. is always appreciated.

It may be, I am not planning on bidding very high on this one. I am very happy with the one I have and would take it but by no means plan to bid as much as I did on the first one.
    mcadams- PM'd
    Robert

Let's move on, in my business I use a lot of analogies to help make the markets more easy for clients to understand. Sports cards are just like stocks in reality. The price movements act just like stocks do and that is the only reason I have referenced that. I am done fighting with you. This was meant to be fun and this type of back and forth is not. Thank you

<< <i>Let's move on, in my business I use a lot of analogies to help make the markets more easy for clients to understand. Sports cards are just like stocks in reality. The price movements act just like stocks do and that is the only reason I have referenced that. I am done fighting with you. This was meant to be fun and this type of back and forth is not. Thank you >>

If you want it to be fun, then stop making absurd comments on every thread that you join and just stick to card commentary. And stop misquoting me about your Strasburg thread.

• 123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭

<< <i>

Lets face it, to buy a card of a wrestler for $1,225 you have to make some cash.

q]

Or just be a complete moron that lied to his grandma about needing some money for rent.

I could come up with more, but past history tells me anyone that tosses around dollar figures will not be loved by this board, regardless of what they collect or how passionate the may be. Talk about cards, not stroke your ego, and everyone here will relax.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
    The guy who is now the top bidder came in second on the first go round behind me at $1200. If some other buyer steps up this is going to go for a lot.
    PSA 10

The guy who is selling came in third behind me and the current high bid on the BGS came in second as I just said. Here is the link if you want to compare the cards. I think the PSA 10 looks better. You guys be the judge.

• << <i>Let's move on, in my business I use a lot of analogies to help make the markets more easy for clients to understand. Sports cards are just like stocks in reality. The price movements act just like stocks do and that is the only reason I have referenced that. I am done fighting with you. This was meant to be fun and this type of back and forth is not. Thank you >>

Really? The price movement on stocks act like sports card price movements? Are you dealing in pink sheet stocks?
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or do the side borders look a bit thin on that BGS 9.5? Sheet cut? Trimmed? Even if I was interested in buying that particular card, I wouldnt touch that with a 10 foot pole.
  • sure does look like the card went on a diet before it made its way into the BGS slab
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    I'd want a PSA 10 over a BGS 9.5 of this card every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

• << <i>Is it just me or do the side borders look a bit thin on that BGS 9.5? Sheet cut? Trimmed? Even if I was interested in buying that particular card, I wouldnt touch that with a 10 foot pole. >>

Before all the conspiracy theories on this card start flying around one should note this card was crossed over from a PSA 10 according to the OP...

• << <i>Lets face it, to buy a card of a wrestler for $1,225 you have to make some cash. >>

Another possible sigline quote.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • SmuggoSmuggo Posts: 425
    ".....back when it was as close to real as it could get." I have trouble remembering wrestling back that far.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards

• << <i>

<< <i>Is it just me or do the side borders look a bit thin on that BGS 9.5? Sheet cut? Trimmed? Even if I was interested in buying that particular card, I wouldnt touch that with a 10 foot pole. >>

Before all the conspiracy theories on this card start flying around one should note this card was crossed over from a PSA 10 according to the OP... >>

Maybe PSA is lucky its out of their holder now. I heard they no longer grade trimmed cards, did they grade trimmed cards in the past?
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It makes no since to me. >>

Clearly not an English degree image

<< <i>".....back when it was as close to real as it could get." I have trouble remembering wrestling back that far. >>

Professional Wrestling at its most realistic took place in the 1990s. This was the timeframe when, in Japan, a trio of federations worked what is known as shoot-style. That is, they did matches with pre-determined outcomes but using legit techniques that you would see in what is now MMA. Often, the matches would, in fact, be shoots (legit fights) for a certain period of time before the wrestlers went to the pre-determined outcome. The kicks, punches, and slaps were all pretty much full-force and made real contact. This style of wrestling was very, very popular - drawing crowds as high as 60,000 to the Tokyo Dome - before being overtaken by legit fights from Pancrase, UFC and (later) Pride.

Tabe
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is it just me or do the side borders look a bit thin on that BGS 9.5? Sheet cut? Trimmed? Even if I was interested in buying that particular card, I wouldnt touch that with a 10 foot pole. >>

Before all the conspiracy theories on this card start flying around one should note this card was crossed over from a PSA 10 according to the OP... >>

If I remember correctly, you are a big lover of Beckett. Anyway, how do we know that its true that the card came from a PSA holder? You trust the word of just anyone? Id like to see a pic of that card in the 10 holder before it made its way to the BGS 9.5

I say show me, dont just tell me cuz I aint into believing so easily.
    You are right wrestling got crazy in the 1990's with the extreme style of wrestling.

When I say as real as it could get, I just meant the business was different and the guys could actually put on a show. There are a ton of great stars in these sets. You have Lou Thesz, Bruno Sammartino, Terry Funk, Dory Funk, Harley Race, Bruiser Brody, and the lists goes on and on.

These guys lived and breathed the sport and when they got in the ring they put on a great match.

And yes no English degree, at 31 I still can't spell great, thanks for spell check at work or else I would be screwed image
    No big lover of beckett,

"Hi everyone! Just wanted to share that I bought and received today in the mail an amazing '82 Wrestling All Stars Ric Flair PSA 10. Once I received today and saw that it was the most pristine and cleanest '82 Wrestling All Stars cards I have ever run across I filled out a Beckett grading form and went to post office and mailed out today to Beckett to be regraded and slabbed into the beautiful BGS holder. Hoping the card has a chance at that elusive BGS 10 grade! These cards are some of the hardest cards period to find in even NM/MT condition let alone pristine but if any of these cards had a chance for a BGS 10 PRISTINE grade this is surely the one."

This is from Big Kahuna a few months back. He sold thee card right before Wrestlemania 24, Beckett named it the second best Wrestling card, it sold for $252 back then, he bought it back somewhere north of $400 maybe six months ago.

Just like many of you who collect certain Baseball cards from certain sets know each other, same here. I bought my PSA 9 Hogan and the first two sets of these from him and many other cards.

This came from an old slab of PSA and some of those seem a littler over graded. When he submitted it it was in the PSA holder and said not to crack it if it would not cross over.

Either way it is a nice card but as I said before I think mine is better.
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe one of you wrestling fans can answer a burning question I've had for about 25 years.

Why did the Honkytonk Man have "Memphis" printed across his ass?

• << <i>Maybe one of you wrestling fans can answer a burning question I've had for about 25 years.

Why did the Honkytonk Man have "Memphis" printed across his ass? >>

Because "I am the greatest Intercontinental Champion of All Time" took up too much space?

• << <i>

<< <i>

If I remember correctly, you are a big lover of Beckett. Anyway, how do we know that its true that the card came from a PSA holder? You trust the word of just anyone? Id like to see a pic of that card in the 10 holder before it made its way to the BGS 9.5

I say show me, dont just tell me cuz I aint into believing so easily. >>

Big lover of Beckett? lol... I have 3 BGS slabs.. I love cards not plastic..You don't a single thing about me..
    You are right we don't know if indeed it was once in a PSA holder just like we don't know if it was trimmed too..

I just know how these threads get derailed into bashing sprees so quickly...

I did notice the PSA 10 was in a card condom I'd like to see other PSA graded copies to see the size of the boarders.. If these were poorly manufactured as said there could be oversized copies..
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe one of you wrestling fans can answer a burning question I've had for about 25 years.

Why did the Honkytonk Man have "Memphis" printed across his ass? >>

Because he got his start in Memphis working with his cousin, Jerry Lawler.

Tabe
    The auction is heating up. As I said before the person who came in second was in the lead and now some new bidder has pushed the price higher.

The second highest bid last time was $1200 so if both of them want this card the price is going a lot higher.
  • consider yourself lucky that you got outbid on the bgs 9.5