Home Precious Metals
Options

Question on counterfit silver bullion coins?

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
If a1 oz silver bullion coin is really a silver plated counterfit is the coin likely to weigh more or less that the standard 31.1 grams?

And how much is a reasonable + or - tolerance on a 1 oz piece?

I have seen fake trade dollars and they were always very light. Is being light always the case or can they be heavy if the correct thickness and diameter?

Thanks, GrandAm image
GrandAm :)

Comments

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    Also, you could try magnetism. Silver coins aren't magnetic, but a counterfeit would probably include a magnetic metal.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could use a lead alloy with the same specific gravity or density as silver and then lightly silver plate their fake..

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    AboutAgAboutAg Posts: 201 ✭✭

<< <i>If a1 oz silver bullion coin is really a silver plated counterfit is the coin likely to weigh more or less that the standard 31.1 grams?

And how much is a reasonable + or - tolerance on a 1 oz piece?

I have seen fake trade dollars and they were always very light. Is being light always the case or can they be heavy if the correct thickness and diameter?

Thanks, GrandAm image >>

The counterfeits I have seen are typically about 20-26 grams (it depends on the metal they are made from, and whether they vary from the proper dimensions).

Although fakes could in theory be made with a lead/tin alloy to get an exact weight, it would be very soft, and likely very easy to detect. I haven't heard of any being made (although lead was used in some doctored 100 ounce silver bars, to replace about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the real silver, leaving a solid silver shell).
  • Options
    I read somewhere that adding some fine sand to the alloy mix will cause the fake coin to ring similar but not exactly like a real coin.

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Sand (silicon dioxide) has a density of 2.3
    It would just float on the denser molten silver.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options

<< <i>Sand (silicon dioxide) has a density of 2.3
    It would just float on the denser molten silver. >>

It would be added to a molten lead alloy and not to silver and if you ground it fine enough you should be able to mix it into the molten metal without separation. I read this in relation to what the chinese are using in their fake silver dollar sized coins but I'm not sure how true it is.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fakes of the same diameter and thickness always weigh less. The key is measuring the coin.
    IF it is the right diameter and weight the thickness could be a bit thicker and thus would weigh
    the same as a real coin.
    With generic bullion who would have the dimensions from which to check? No way to see if
    it's silver plated lead or gold plated silver. Weight can be spot on but the diameter or thickness
    can be way off.

Speaking of hollowing out a silver bar and filling it with lead, how about the time that platinum was
    so cheap that some bars were filled with platinum instead of lead. Now platinum is quite heavy
    and it may be harder to detect but that would be a good problem, right?

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com