Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Possibly Received my First Tampered PSA Slab

Well I think I just received in the mail my first tampered with PSA Slab. The card in question isn't a high value card either which kind of blows my mind.

The above is of the bottom of the slab. The very bottom looks like it may have been cracked open gently and reglued but I can't get a good picture of that. Now I see where there should be 2 vertical tabs going across the bottom roughly here and here but they are gone. You can also kind of see in the picture where it looks off on the very bottom from a possible reglue.

Is it just possible this slab was dropped on the bottom of itself and I have nothing to worry about? Is there ever a legit reason for those 2 tabs to be missing within the case if not tampered with?

Thanks,
Brendan

Comments

• Options
    Don't think it was tampered with by looking at that photo.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Looks good to me also.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Picture of the very bottom. Ignore my wallet holding it up on the scanner.

• Options

Top case is the one in question compared to another. The two tabs are gone and from what I understand this is part of the "tamper proof" case. So I shouldn't worry about this at all?
  • Options
    Hmm, not sure on that one, it might be bad. Call Joe Orlando first thing in the morning.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Just from the bottom corners of the Favre card, it appears to be no better than a PSA 8. If the card is graded as such (or lower), your concerns are probably unfounded as it would not be profitable to crack and switch at that price point and grade level.
  • Options
    Card in question was graded a PSA 9 that I got for under $50 off eBay this week. Again not sure if someone would go to such trouble but I think I will send it back to the seller because it looks way worse than what it looked like in the scan on the auction.

I messaged the seller to let him or her know I am wanting to send this back. The listing states a 7 day no hassle refund period so I let him know I think the case has either been dropped really hard or possibly opened up at the bottom and this is why I want a refund. Is a top rated seller w/ 100% feedback so I am sure the return and refund will go smoothly.

-Brendan
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    From the wallet angle, I've had plenty of slabs that looked identical. The holder looks fine.

Why don't you scan the entire card?

It does look like a weak 9 judging by the bottom corners. Maybe s/b an 8.

I doubt somebody would tamper with a holder over a $20-30 swing in price between an 8 and 9.
  • Options
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I think the card is good and doesn't appear to be tampered with. I have a few holders that look like that.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    What he sees are the welds.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What he sees are the welds. >>

+1
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the card is good and doesn't appear to be tampered with. I have a few holders that look like that. >>

I have a few cases like that as well, it seems fine to me.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    Whoever thought it would come to this in the hobby? I used to buy cards at the flea market and carry em in my shirt pocket.....no holders!!! The good old days............ I bought a T206 Green Background Cobb and carried it home that way..........30 years later it got slabbed as a PSA 6. Ha ha! RR
  • Options
    That is one of the cleanest PSA slabs I have seen in a long time. What was the point of this thread?
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Slab looks fine to me. Card does look a little overgraded, it would be fine in an 8.

Need to pick up a 9 myself sometime.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The slab looks fine to me also.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The low value of the card hardly warrants committing fraud.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I have had numerous PSA cases look like that. If I was the seller of the card, and the buyer wanted to return I would be leery of the BUYER doing a switcheroo on ME!
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had numerous PSA cases look like that. If I was the seller of the card, and the buyer wanted to return I would be leery of the BUYER doing a switcheroo on ME! >>

Yes you do have to be very careful of many sellers out there. Some sellers even sell cards with no disclosure they have been rejected.

brian
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

<< <i>The low value of the card hardly warrants committing fraud. >>

Why?.....just because it's only a $50 card?? let me know how it feels the next time you get taken for "only" $50. But don't come image here with it.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Seriously, would you really want to tarnish your reputation on Ebay over a $50 transaction? I suppose if you didn't plan on building your business, and there is no accounting for idiots. But, really?