Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

eBay or TeleTrade?

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have to sell the vast majority of my slabbed coins. The only two realistic choices for selling them are eBay and TeleTrade. TeleTrade has a flat rate of 8% fee for sellers; eBay's is about 10% incuding PayPal fees. TeleTrade images the coins for you, for eBay listing you must provide an image. The coins I'll be selling are mainly Canadian, British, and Ancient coins, with a few other World coins mixed in.

Any suggestions on which one you think is the better venue? I haven't had much experience with TeleTrade, sold stuff there years ago but not lately.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    I've had good and bad results with both, but generally Teletrade underperforms eBay. Given the fees Teletrade charges and the potential for disappoining results, it probably would be better to consign to one of the forum members who do eBay sales.
  • Options
    It really depends on how much you value your time. Ebay will bring the most but also take the most time. Teletrade just involves putting them all in a box once and collecting your check. Also, if you have coins that you are pretty sure of the value I'd suggest trying them at least once on the dealers at a local show.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Teletrade is currently offering a Seller's Fee reduction.

Just be sure to choose the "resell" option (if your coins don't sell the first time), and place a reasonable reserve on each lot.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    eBay's is about 10% incuding PayPal fees

I thought ebay fees were 10% not including PayPal?
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    As much as I hate to admit it, ebay does get good money for better grade coins. I just sold some of my spares and coins I had upgraded and got what I thought were pretty strong prices for pretty ordinary coins.
  • Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    Don, why don't you PM Jeremy Katz (airplanenut)? He does a really good job with Ebay consignments.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options

<< <i>Don, why don't you PM Jeremy Katz (airplanenut)? He does a really good job with Ebay consignments. >>

Jeremy is fantastic for coins that sell for $100+ I'm afraid that too many of my coins will sell in the $40-100 range.

<< <i> Also, if you have coins that you are pretty sure of the value I'd suggest trying them at least once on the dealers at a local show. >>

Unfortunately there is no large local shows around here.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don, why don't you PM Jeremy Katz (airplanenut)? He does a really good job with Ebay consignments

that's exactly what I was gonna recommend too image
    I'd def do Ebay over Teletrade just one of those things - yup Ebay is more expensive but the popularity/coverage is day and night in comparison and therefore you'd get way better prices going that route. On your own that is, however, if you have little patience doin it all by yo-self...then that's were good 'ole Jeremy (actually quite young) can come in to play.... Highly recommended!

Marc
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> TeleTrade has a flat rate of 8% fee for sellers >>

And 15% for buyers. Suppose the going rate a buyer will pay for an item is $100. On eBay, you net $90 if we assume a 10% fee ($12.20 is the actual fee, after PayPal, for a seller without a store, assuming a 99c start). On Teletrade, the buyer bids $87 (so their net cost is $100 after the premium), and after the 8% fee, you net $73.60.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I'd be seriously thinking about airplanenut / ebay. I've only been a buyer from him so far, but I like his presentation and professionalism. One of the best around IMO.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    ajaan is doing his best impersonation of Calvin Coolidge.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Not really, I couldn't login through the login screen. I had to login through the reply to thread screen.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you thought about listing your items and putting them on the BST to start out? That way you can spare yourself the ignominy of paying fees on stuff that sells there.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    List now up on the World BST.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don