Home Sports Talk
Options

end of the road for Boston this year.

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
I may be a tad premature, but from what I see, the Red Sox are toast this year. With small flashes of brilliance from starting pitching, the bullpen players come in and all but hand the game to the opponent. just how dumb did Okajima look today?? Offense is lackluster and the performance of incredibly high paid players is spotty at best. Now with a 4-game split with the "going nowhere" Mariners, the trek to LA I doubt will be a starting point to salvage the season. One need only look at the upcoming schedule for August to see just how high the mountain has become, and September is no piece of cake, ending with the Yankees in Fenway.

Now with 8 games back and about the same in the WC, I do not see this group of players having the cohesiveness to pull this off. They will, at this point, need the equvalent of the '04 comeback, not likely they can do this IMO. No matter the trades made by next Saturday, I think the sun has set for the 2010 Red Sox.

I will happily eat these words, but really don't think I will...the fat lady has sung, and the handwriting is in glowing neon.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The Sox have 65 games (more or less to play) no time to jump off the band wagon.

Steve

edited to change the amount of games left.

Good for you.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I know, I'm frustrated too.

But there are 63 or so games left, and guys coming back off the DL, so there is still hope.
    Capecards
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I'm with you, Bob. I figuratively jumped ship a couple weeks back. The outfield has no power, the bullpen can't get anyone out and they're too injured to be a factor. I think they should be sellers at the deadline. Get anything for Papelbon we can.

The only reason I'm convinced is that Tampa has 4 of the top 20 starters in the AL. The Yankees already have an 8 game lead. The division is over and I just don't see Tampa losing 8 of 10 at any point the rest of the way.

This was a rebuilding year anyway. I'm not too upset. Need to add bullpen guys who can get someone out - dump the Ellsbury corpse and find some outfield power.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do realize that the Rays and Yankees have to go into a major dive for the Red Sox to catch up, don't you? 63 games left or not, the team just hasn't jelled to the point of being a powerhouse, which, IMO is what's needed. Look at the schedule ahead, it's a long haul. You can't possibly believe the Rays and Yankees pitching is gonna implode at this point. Surely everyone here saw Okajima's double look to 3rd, when in fact a High School player KNOWS the play is first base...this when we were up 2-1. The relief pitching is just horrible.

I'll bet Ardsma had a mile-wide grin on inside. I always liked that guy and was sorry to see him go.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I agree, it looks bad.

But stranger things have happened.
    Capecards
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Well, the Rays and Sox both have my severely weakened Tigers coming up this week......