Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Questions about Purchasing coin from South Africa

I have located a coin that I have searched appx. 8 years for, the problem is that it is located in SA. The dealer is apparently legitimate but given the cost involved (Appx. $2000+), I approach this with caution. I realize that many of the members here have done business with dealers in other countries and may have advise that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Dan
The glass is half full!

Comments

• Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    How long has the dealer been in business? Is the dealer a member of the ANA or PNG? Can he provide you with references or a list of stateside dealers who have done business with him? Is the coin raw or slabbed? What are your return priveleges? If you tell us who the dealer is, maybe, someone on these boards can give you some feedback about this dealer.
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    Randburg CoinsText

ANA Member
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I have purchased two different times from a seller in SA with no problems, but not from the dealer you mentioned. My costs were an order of magitude lower. $2k certainly is more concerning. It would be good to find out what their insurance limitations are.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Shipping is Without insurance and no return policy. Not with my money! Guess I will keep looking.

Anyone who come across a 1995 Gold Rugby coin issued as part of the Protera series (1 oz) please give me a PM.

Thanks,

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Shipping is Without insurance and no return policy.

Wow - he won't get my business either.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    I know a few SA dealers as I was an active collector of the ZAR series. PM me if you are still interested in purchasing as I may be able to organise a viewing by a trusted third party.