Home Precious Metals

i need a lesson in weights and measures

chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
Iknow this is stupid but I'm a newb to bullion.12 troy oz equals a pound? 16 u.s. oz equals a pound.so how does a troy pound compare to a us pound in weight?

Comments

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A troy ounce is heavier than the ounce you're most used to, correctly called an avoirdupois ounce.

There are 12 troy ounces to a troy pound. There are 16 avoirdupois ounces to an avoirdupois pound.

They are different scales, no pun intended.

In order to wrap your head around the differences, I find it helpful to convert them both to grams.

A troy ounce is 31.1 grams. An avoirdupois ounce is 28.3 grams.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    so i go back to my college days....454 grams to a pound of...ugh....dry measure...that sound about rite?
    I just ordered 10 ...10oz hand poured ingots from monarch,well week ago and cant wait to see em
    A "pound" isn't going to help you any more than an "ounce" is, unless you're sure of the system of measurement.

As I indicated above, there are 28.3 grams to an avoirdupois ounce (technically it's 28.349523125, I rounded). So an avoirdupois pound, which contains 16 avoirdupois ounces, would contain approximately 453.44 grams.

For what it's worth, do not buy that platinum covered coin you mentioned earlier. And if you have it now, sell it quickly and quietly. If it's confusing you now, just imagine trying to sell it under duress. And platinum coating probably makes it less valuable to most metals buyers.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    Weiss,I really appreciate you taking the time to attempt to educate me.....if I just keep it to grams I.ll be ok...troy 31ish...the french one we use 28ishimage
  • zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    Precious metals are measured using the Troy system. If, for example, a bar says "1oz" of .999 silver from a reputable manufacturer, it is exclusively troy ounces. Spot prices are for quantities in Troy ounces.

When in doubt, weigh it! image Many scales can give you measurements in g, avp oz, and troy oz at the touch of a button.

Zach
    Zach
    No problem. There are not dumb questions. And most of us would rather see you spend a couple of hours here looking at posts and asking questions for free than see you spend money on less than optimal gold and silver purchases. image
    --Severian the Lame
  • RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077

A pints a pound the world around! image

Unless you're in a British Pub buying silver! image
  • MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    This link is useful.

conversions
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just ordered 10 ...10oz hand poured ingots from monarch,well week ago and cant wait to see em >>

I just bought a silver bar from Monach Precious Metals marked 32.15 Troy Ounces which just happens to be equal to one Kilogram. They make neat bars the old fashioned way---hand poured and hand punched markings. Monarch Precious Metals also has a nice web site.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.