Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Why would someone waste money submitting this coin?

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
What a fool?

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel better knowing it is not one of my submissions- it sort of gives gives everyone something to look forward to... doesn't it?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Unless someone was trying to put together a grade set, it is pretty hard to explain.image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the grading services have booths at coin shows offering free grading for attendees.

Maybe someone submitted it there, figuring "what the heck, let's see what they say".

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    I think they graded it one point high. image

Oh yeah, that looks like Niagra Tavern money. image
  • Options
    Some large companies have coins holdered so cheaply that they just decide to "slab the whole box" and ebay them rather than research them. Considering the time for which they have to pay their numismatists (who may be totally ignorant about non-US material) it may actually be the right call for their bottom line, too.
  • Options
    Well, here's the story. I'm the 'fool' who had this coin slabbed. I thought, and still do think, it is the Inv. A/V variety and I wanted NGC to slab it as such. They didn't either agree with me or wouldn't slab it as such because it was sent under 'economy' and not 'variety'. The coin cost me very little and I took a chance, and lost.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you mention somewhere in the submission form the variety that you thought it was, or did you leave it entirely to the graders? If the latter,IMO you didn't really play, but went for voluntary slaughter instead, no offense. But then again, I understand why it would be unreasonable to send it in as a variety, alone, and subject to various additional fees.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    PS: Just to clarify, all I'm saying is that because it was sent under an economy submission, and therefore each grader would have spent a maximum of 3 generous seconds on it, I would have made sure to add to the form, that coin 5 is the Inv A/V variety, even if I had to stick an additional "post it" note at the bottom, and fully understanding that it wouldn't have made a significant difference anyway. But that's just me. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I did put Inv. A/V on the submission form.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    While it isn't the case here, some collectors enjoy putting together "low ball" sets of the worst coins they can find for a series.

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    www.pandacollector.com
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably for preservation purposes