Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

First Annual PCGS Set Registry Awards?

I received an email this afternoon from David Hall announcing the First Annual PCGS Set Registry Awards. It will be held this summer and all winners will receive an award of some kind along with a plaque. Does anyone know any more about this. Does anyone think this is a ploy to put some "spark" back into the PCGS Registry?

Sincerely,

Chris
I am waiting to restart my mint State Quarters Registry Set.

Comments

• Options
    I think it is a great way to recognize some of the registry set accomplishments. PCGS stops at the top Five sets, I think some of the top ten sets should get some kind of recognition ( at least if the set is complete that is ). I know how about a web cast of the event?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Sounds like he wants to thank all the registry chasers for making him rich.

The registry is about recognition and thats what awards ceremonies are for. Appears to be a sound business move.

Accept and see how much food you can consume.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being local to PCGS, I am available to accept awards for out of state collectors of this board unable to attend the gala. Please prepare your speeches of appropriate length well in advance and don't forget to thank your spouse. image Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I know how about PCGS having some kind of contest that would pay for ten winners and their guest to go to the event. ( Hotel airfare the whole deal. )
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I just hope this awards ceremony won't take 4 1/2 hours! image

Sincerely,

Chris
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cant take credit for this ,but i posted a thread on this very same subject. Hmmm Thank you Al
  • Options
    Grip,

When did you start a thread on this subject? Before I posted this I looked on the first page of the board and saw nothing on this subject. Didn't mean to steal your "thunder".

Sincerely,

Chris
  • Options
    Sorry, I'm gonna miss seeing you guys there.

Mitch,
    You are my representative - I have no speech.
    Thank you for your kind offer. image
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I got the E-mail also.I believe it is a good thing and will be well received by most.It is of course another marketing ploy.So what.I don't know if I'll be able to make the deadline.image
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    I think that it answers the question as to whether the Top 5 in each category will get a printed Set Registry book this year. Answer is apparantly nope and this is the replacement recognition program.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Mitch,
    You are my representative - I have no speech.
    Thank you for your kind offer"

Steve: No problem. With every $5,000 spent on my coins through 6/30/02, I will provide free of charge a 300 word speech prepared by a "leading" numismatic consulting firm established this week for the sole task of preparing speeches for the gala. Anyone following the Arthur Anderson situation? The consulting firm must be spun off from ones coin sales operation to avoid even the "appearance of impropriety".

On a separate note, Ziegfried and Roy were booked that evening, so I have graciously agreed to a 60 minute debate with Coingame 2000 live on the PCGS stage on whether it is better to own common date silver MS68 quarters or dazzling toned Morgans image Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boey
    It was another post about giving recognition to all involved in the registry .Sorry i should have been more precise and has nothing to do with your post/thread...What i said was to keep intrest PCGS should give a cash award or free coin submissions to the people in the top 10 .I also suggested a 2 year free membership with a 50 coin submission for the top#1 set registry in any catogory.
    This could be broken down for each .They also could give away free coins to each.
    A plaque??.Al
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    Dear PCGS Set Registrants,

This summer we will recognize those collectors who have registered
    outstanding sets in the PCGS Set Registry.

Engraved plaques will be awarded in the following categories:

· The FIVE best CLASSIC sets: 1794-1964

· The FIVE best MODERN sets: 1950 to date (including Jefferson
    nickels and Roosevelt dimes)

· The FIVE best NEW sets in 2002 (Sets registered between
    July 1, 2001 and June 30, 2002)

Also, we will be inducting 20 all-time great sets into the PCGS Set
    Registry Coin Collecting Hall of Fame. There will be two categories:
    the ten greatest complete sets of U.S. coins of all-time and the ten
    best-specialized collections.

Hall of Fame collections and the five best Classic, Modern, and New
    sets will be selected based on a vote of PCGS coin experts.

Finally, "Best of the Registry" certificates will be awarded to the
    number one current set in each category.

All winners will receive recognition on the PCGS website for their
    fine efforts and each winning set will be recognized with a
    "Best of the Registry" icon. If you are a winner and wish to remain
    anonymous, we will announce only your set name.

The deadline for set registration and updates is June 30, 2002.
    Please plan ahead when sending potential set registry coins to PCGS
    for grading, as all sets will be judged on July 1, 2002.

PCGS wants to reward those who participate and acknowledge the hard
    work it takes to assemble these great collections. Please share your
    feedback with us and watch for updates and more information on the
    awards program at www.pcgs.com/new_set_registry. As the contest
    progresses, we will be providing status reports of the top sets
    currently leading in each category.

Have fun and good luck!

David, Rick and BJ

Im sorry Dave, Rick and BJ...but I find the idea of this repulsive. You guys know theres heated compation among these guys as to who comes out on top, but this I feel is just a simple marketing ploy to get us to mortgage, borrow, refianace or whatever just to be top dog. You guys know youll be successful as youve already seen the result of the registry set. You picked extreme few sets, and as all can see its the sets that you guys will benifit most from should people want to be included in this farce. Ive spent just as much time as the people in the sets you named to get to what was number 2 but now dropped to 3. My reg set is comprised of your best with the exception of a PR70 which I know will never be in my set without a 2500 donation. Obviously my set is the proof statehood qtrs, but I guess it doesnt matter to you guys that ive spent countless hours finding suitable coins for my quest, but when all else failed I turned to your company David for what I considerd worthy of this collection. Obviously theres not enough money in that reg set, which is probably why you excluded it.

Your diviation from the norm to padd your own pocket sickens me. I can only hope that one of you will explain why things are this way to me so I can retract the statement. Obviously if you guys are reading this, no one has botherd, cause as I said, us proof statehood collectors dont count till theres money to be made for the inner sanctum.

sad sad way to be forced to another service.

thanks for the little you did do.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    You guys are getting WAY to serious for me! It's all marketing and that's what the Regsitry is for..... sounds like something extra and fun! My congrats to the winners!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I AM WITH SPOOLY , FOR ONCE CAN WE REFRAIN FROM OVER ANALYSING EVERY EFFORT BY PCGS. SOMETIMES THEIR IS NO SECRET AGENDA OR SINISTER PLOT OTHER THEN TO SAY THANK YOU TO ALL THE REGISTRY MEMBERS. LET US SIT BACK, TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND WATCH THE PLAY UNFOLD. REGARDS BEAR.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    From the email it appears to me that some of the "winners" of the awards will not necessarily be the #1 registry set holders... that they might be sets picked by PCGS judges using standards not known to the rest of us? I would like some clarification? thanks and cheers, alan mendelson
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Somebody needs to see if Halle Berry is available to accept their award for them. I'm sure she'll give an Oscar-winning performance!
    Matt
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flash, I agree. After 74 years the door has finally been opened!!

peacockcoins

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    BJ has explained himself on the US Coin Forum. I retract my statement but will be left for all to see in fairness.

Ive thanked BJ for his explanation and will do just what BEAR sugested.

sit back n watch image

thanks guys
    Bill

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill