Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Who are the early favorites for...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Carlos:

Well, I would say I am close on several of your criteria. One of the only problems is that my set is a 100 cards set. But then I think I should get points in that it is Topp's 1st FB Set. Furthermore I lead my category by 0.31, so again I am close to the 0.50 that you desire.

My Set
  • Options

I like the idea of an award for each decade. But even that presents a problem. Look at the leader for 1959 Topps Baseball. He's within a fraction of having the best possible score of all the 1959 cards that have ever been graded. NOW THAT IS AN ACCOMPLISHMENT!!

But how does a '59 set compete with '52 Topps?

Anyone who completes a pre-1974 set in 8 or better deserves something. Take a look at the race for 1963 Topps Baseball. 1963 Hank was first to complete that tough set in 8 (think of the colored borders). Now Duke of Mint has passed him and is within 5 cards of completion. I know of another collector who will probably pass them both before the deadline. It's a real horse race over there.

So many deserving sets, so little in the way of rewards.
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Rob,

That is a beautiful set. You may get the Gayle Sayers HOF nomination. (Career cut short)

How about putting some scans up for that set...I've alway enjoyed those cards.

Carlos
  • Options
    How does the Rookie Set Registrant thing work? Aren't we all rookies?...

Ian
  • Options
    For the record, the first Topps football cards were in the 1948 Magic Photo set. The next set was the 1950 Topps Felt Backs, also consisting of 100 cards, plus 25 color variations. The next set was the 1951 Magic.
  • Options
    I like the idea of an award for each decade.

I wish PSA liked this idea.

Carlos
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Since I am realitively new, and collect mostly "golf cards" which per past posts on this board may be "Taboo", I thought I would draw your folks's attention to the Misc sets on the registry. Vinatagegolfcards (not me) has some monster sets in high condition. I am very envious....PSA 9 1931 Bobby Jones! I know he will never sell it, but if he did.........$$$$$$$$

While small, these set were produced in the 1920's and 1930's and before. That makes them in high quality RARE. Also there were made in Britain, which adds to the toughness factor.

I agree with your voting on more plentiful cards sets, but for us who collect obscure smaller issues, PSA 6 and above is often maybe the best example you will see for years and years.

Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    To recognize those All-Time Finest sets we will be inducting 5 all-time great sets into the PSA Set Registry Sportscard Collecting Hall of Fame this year. Hall of Fame collections and the contest winners will be selected based on a vote of sportscard experts

There will only be 5 set inducted in the PSA Registry Hall Of Fame, I personally feel if I had a vote (which I do not) these will come from the criteria that I have set.

Golfcollector,

Even with that being said I took your advice and looked more closely at the Misc. catagory. And yes you are right...There are many worthy collections over there.

I MUST LQQK MORE OFTEN!!!

The last time I ventured that far right there were only five sets listed.

Here is a link so others can view as well.
  • Options
    I think that having some criteria is fair, but in putting a minimum card limit of 150 cards that would eliminate all hockey sets before 1967 and even some after 1967.

The other criteria is good, but maybe the card number minimum should vary by sport.

Just my 2 cents.

• Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    You guys may be trying to "pigeon-hole" sportscard history here a little bit, but i like your general idea of breaking down the generes. First Off......The best standing T206 set and 1952 Topps sets get a big stinking trophy......(period) , no checking the completeness, actual numeric rating , if enough cards are in the set, or if you are .76543 points ahead of the next psycho, you guys are corporate rule mongers! Second........Merkel and Fogel go into the HOF hands down no questions!! (get on your knees Girl-scouts), sounds like Davallilo ought to go, but I never really looked at his whole nut (I hear it's pretty amazing, certainly expensive).
    Third......???the experts can decide, but how about taking the rest of the 50's topps sets (53-59) as a category, then the 60's decade of topps issues, then the 70's (which probably should end at '75 in my opinion- although the best '71 set should be a lock, unless the best '72 is like "shazam"). Now comes the harder breakdown, but how about the best "N" set, best "E"or"D"or"M" set (include T 208's), The best '30's or 40's set (goudeys, natrional chicle, opc and play ball), then perhaps the best "golden age regional set" which would cover all the great 50's sets like '51 Connie Mack's, Current A.S.'s and Red/Blue backs, Wilson Franks, Dan Dee's, Stahl's, Red Man's, Glennies, Rodeos, Hunters and on and on; then the best test, regional or auxillary set of the 60's ('63 Fleer, '69 Supers, '64 S-U, through the '71 Greatest Moments).
    I guess we need to look at modern sets and strip cards, but I could care less about them, besides that's what the experts are for. Oh yeah maybe a special category for 3-d cards (tee-hee) .
    Seems like a lot of awards, but at 3 free grades and a certificate apiece, what the heck??
    It's not like you can get pedigreed like Harris or Hall anymore.
  • Options

<< <i>(get on your knees Girl-scouts) >>

Hey that better not be another reference to Kellogg's collectors image.

BTW, I already asked BJ and Joe O months ago about a Best Small Set or Regional Set, and they never got back to me. The way the awards are set up now is the way it will be done. Maybe next year there can be some changes if we all lobby together.
  • Options
    Sounds way to confusing. They probably should just eliminate them altogether. This way nobody will be offended, and you won't have a bunch of sobbing Girl Scouts to deal with.
  • Options
    Is it true the Girl Scouts are giving out merit badges for completed PSA sets?
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Ray,

I think they're serial #ed to 250, and inserted in 1:24 boxes of cookies.image

Bernie
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    just a aftertought here but insteed of putting min cards required ect a better way to equal sets out for review may be by $ value assesed to sets ,can use sports market report since it comes from psa and have catagories for example sets under 2500 sets 2500 to 5000 then 5k to 10 k /10k to 20 k ect this would allow all sets to be vied on a equal playing field and it would not matter if it was a 100 card set or 600 card set. well just a idea what do you guys think?
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    skins - that method of categorizing the sets would put too much importance on SMR's accuracy.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Murcerfan,

Can "get on your knees Girl-scouts"...and..."I never really looked at his whole nut" legally be in the same sentence?image

Carlos