Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My new Wiener just arrived :-)

ST. MICHAEL AND ST. GUDULE AT BRUSSELS

WIENER, Jacques: Belgium, 1845, Bronze, 50 mm
Obv: View of exterior Around: DEDIEE A ST MICHEL ET A STE GUDULE PAR LAMBERT II COMTE DE LOUVAIN ET DE BRABANT 1047 HENRI I FAIT ACHEVER LE CHOEUR 1240 PHILIPPE LE BEAU PROCLE ROI DE CASTILLE 1506 LE TRAVAUX DE RESTAURATION COMMENCES 1839 SOUS LEOPOLD I.
Exergue: EGLISE COLLEGIALE DE BRUXELLES
Rev: View of interior On left: INTERIEUR On right: DE STE GUDULE
Signed: J. WIENER F.
Ref: Van Hoydonck 15; Reinecke 6

In 1047 the Duke of Brabant, Lambert II, had the relics of Saint Gudula transferred from the Saint Gorik church in downtown Brussels to a new church which had been built on Treurenberg hill. Over the years, this church, now known as the Cathedral of Sts. Michael and Gudule, has been expanded until now is the major church in Brussels and is considered the national church of Belgium.

St. Gudule church was originally built in the Romanesque style but was transformed into Gothic style in the 13th century. The gothic choir was constructed between 1226 and 1276, and the nave and transept in the middle of the 15th century. The western facade, completed between 1450 and 1490, follows the example of the French gothic facades.

This church is considered to be one of the finest specimens of pointed Gothic and is particularly noted for its 13th-15th century stained glass.
Chaz

Proud recipient of Y.S. Award on 07/26/08.

Comments