Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

20 years ago these were considered the best sports card investments.-- Hockey and complete sets adde

For your reading pleasure. Baseball is 1-30. Basketball, football and hockey comprise the rest which I will post later.

You can't really say they were WRONG about many of these picks--this was 1990 after all. It's just that so many never held their values.

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I think the most expensive card in PSA 8 on that list is the Carew rookie at #28. Actually for the time, it's not an awful list. Blyleven at #4 is shocking, but the only way out of whack one is the Vince Coleman RC.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    In PSA 10 many probably are. For those years anyway.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    yeah i agree with the great call on the Blyleven, what a visionary.

counter-balanced by #'s 7, 13, 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 27 for most intents & purposes, and......gulp. 30. poor Gracie. image
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    In 1990, Jose Canseco had to be a better pick than at least four cards on that list, including McGwire's rookie. Did they hate him back then, too?
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>In 1990, Jose Canseco had to be a better pick than at least four cards on that list, including McGwire's rookie. Did they hate him back then, too? >>

By 1990, hadn't the Jose Canseco RC already hit $100? Maybe they figured it had topped out and wasn't really an investment anymore.

Heh, #20 (McGwire) and #27 (Bonds) would have been awesome investments in 1990 since they hit monster peaks later.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    9 cards in the top 30 that can be bought for a buck or less at any card show.
  • Options
    Will Clark sure brings back memories. I remember a friend of mine, when I was 12 or 13, was huge into Clark, collecting all of his cards. His 87 fleer rookie was, $35 at the time?

The 82 ripken never got very high (regular version). Compared to like the 80 henderson. Production numbers trumped any sort of onfield accomplishments by him.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing that, or a similar article, about that time and hoaring Bert Blyleven rookies. I have about 20 now but they are in the PSA 5-7 category so didn't work out so good as an investment when I submitted a few of them to PSA in recent years. I think maybe I got one graded it came back an 8. Actually 3 or 4 of them came back "coloring" and/or "altered." image
  • Options

<< <i>Will Clark sure brings back memories. I remember a friend of mine, when I was 12 or 13, was huge into Clark, collecting all of his cards. His 87 fleer rookie was, $35 at the time? >>

$35 sounds about right. He and Bo Jackson helped draw attention to, and pump up the prices for 1987 Fleer cards.

<< <i> think maybe I got one graded it came back an 8. >>

A PSA 8 Blyleven RC sells for some nice money on Ebay.

• Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    The 84 Donruss Strawberry was the card that got me into the hobby. Still have it and the pack that I opened it from. My grandmother had a small grocery store, didn't sell all of the wax from her 2 boxes she had that year, so she gave me the rest of them. It didn't really become "special" until the first time I read a Beckett a few years later and saw that the Strawberry was 1 of 2 really hot cards from that set. I was hooked. Oddest card on the list for me is the Sierra. I don't remember '87 Fleer Ruben Sierra being a sought after card in '90 or any time around then either.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    SmuggoSmuggo Posts: 425
    The dreams today's dollar boxes are made of, some of them that is.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in 1990 I was thinking of opening a card shop when I retired from the Army - what was I thinking!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Oddest card on the list for me is the Sierra. I don't remember '87 Fleer Ruben Sierra being a sought after card in '90 or any time around then either. >>

Sierra was a 5-tool player that was perceived to be a future regular 30/30 guy. 1989 was his career year, finished 2nd in MVP voting and he was only 24.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember seeing that, or a similar article, about that time and hoaring Bert Blyleven rookies. I have about 20 now but they are in the PSA 5-7 category so didn't work out so good as an investment when I submitted a few of them to PSA in recent years. I think maybe I got one graded it came back an 8. Actually 3 or 4 of them came back "coloring" and/or "altered." image >>

Got a semi decent one still around you want to get rid of somewhat cheaply? Still need one for my 71 raw set

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember seeing that, or a similar article, about that time and hoaring Bert Blyleven rookies. >>

Hmmmm, I realize Bert is Dutch and they're rather liberal about such things, but I think he would be concerned that your were turning him out... Gives a new meaning to card tricks, I would think.
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Intersting it is all baseball, when 1986-87 basketball should dominate that list.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Intersting it is all baseball, when 1986-87 basketball should dominate that list. >>

basketball was a separate section
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    well the first 15 werent too bad picks for the most part. i am sure better % then if you looked at stock picks back then. i am sure google, intel, microsoft werent on most peoples lists in 1990.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I remember seeing that, or a similar article, about that time and hoaring Bert Blyleven rookies. >>

Hmmmm, I realize Bert is Dutch and they're rather liberal about such things, but I think he would be concerned that your were turning him out... Gives a new meaning to card tricks, I would think. >>

HAHAHAHAHA good eyes Scott!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Oddest card on the list for me is the Sierra. I don't remember '87 Fleer Ruben Sierra being a sought after card in '90 or any time around then either. >>

I remember that card being considered a great pull for 1987 Fleer packs in the early 90s.

I've got a 1993 Beckett that has his 1987 Fleer card at $13 with down arrows. I don't know what his card peaked at though.

• Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496

<< <i>

$35 sounds about right. He and Bo Jackson helped draw attention to, and pump up the prices for 1987 Fleer cards.

>>

I think Clark epitomized 80's, early 90's collecting. I wasn't a huge fan, but he was all american, was a good role model, the giants at the time were red hot with Kevin Mitchell. Clark was like Donnie baseball in the national league.

Bo jackson was ridiculously huge. Remember his 1990 score black and white card? Peaked at $12 or something?

My friend had a binder full of clarks.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Greg Jeffries called. He's pissed that he wasn't on the list. image
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Very cool... can't wait to see the football list. Bring it on!

Snorto~
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I remember that card being considered a great pull for 1987 Fleer packs in the early 90s.

I've got a 1993 Beckett that has his 1987 Fleer card at $13 with down arrows. I don't know what his card peaked at though.

image >>

I have a July 1991 Beckett it was at $12 with an up arrow
  • Options

<< <i>Back in 1990 I was thinking of opening a card shop when I retired from the Army - what was I thinking! >>

That was the best time in the world to open a card shop! Between baseball cards the soon to come basketball boom (via Shaq) and comics it was hard NOT to make money.
  • Options

<< <i>I have a July 1991 Beckett it was at $12 with an up arrow >>

Heh. From the back of his baseball cards, he weighed 175 in 1991 and 200 in 1992. Hmm. I remember when he got traded to the A's for Jose Canseco in 1993, the paper noted that Sierra's "intense body building" had messed up his mechanics, thus lowering his average and his HR totals. Oops! He never really got them back either.

• Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    You still have a 1993 Beckett readily available, wow, not that is some record keeping. All of those cards were worth some $ in the early 90's. Funny how things change over the years. Football has gone south also, so probably the same thing. All the 80's Topps NFL stars can be had for little dinero these days.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    Gone south forever - never to return
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Ok, here's football. Again, they weren't wrong on many of these. Payton, Montana, Rice and Brown are still very much in demand today. A few were just products of the time-- Neil Anderson, Bo, Andre Rison, Thurman Thomas, etc. At least this list didn't come out in 1991-- Dan McGwire would have been on the list!

This reminded me about the funny history of the 1984 USFL set. Remember how Jim Kelly, Reggie White and Herschel Walker were always the big draws in this set? Steve Young ended up as the card to have.
  • Options

<< <i>You still have a 1993 Beckett readily available, wow, not that is some record keeping. >>

Heh, I got a stack of old Becketts from a collector who was throwing them out a year or so ago. I like having stuff like that around.

• Options

<< <i>This reminded me about the funny history of the 1984 USFL set. Remember how Jim Kelly, Reggie White and Herschel Walker were always the big draws in this set? Steve Young ended up as the card to have. >>

At the time this guide was printed, Young was a backup QB to Joe Montana. I don't think anyone would have looked at the 30 year old backup QB and said "Now that guy's gonna be in the HoF!"

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Sierra was a 5-tool player that was perceived to be a future regular 30/30 guy. 1989 was his career year, finished 2nd in MVP voting and he was only 24. >>

Yeah, he was a heckuva player for Texas and definitely looked like a future megastar. Had another huge year in 1991 (25/116/.307, 200+ hits), dropped a bit in 1992 and then got traded to Oakland. A couple decent years, then he fell of the cliff for several years before recovering to have a heckuva half-season with Texas in 2001 (23/67/.291 in just 94 games). Pretty much done after that. His kid now plays in the Rangers farm system. All in all, I'd say a 20-year career (he missed 1999) - outlasting every other 1986 rookie other than Bonds & Maddux - ain't so bad. Just not "top 30 investment" -worthy image

Tabe
  • Options
    Neal Anderson FTW!
    1930's-1950's Cleveland Indians Collector.
  • Options
    Still amazes me at how cheap you can get a Dickerson RC and for that matter, a Dorsett RC.
  • Options
    The 1987 Fleer Sierra was also counterfitted!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>

Sierra was a 5-tool player that was perceived to be a future regular 30/30 guy. 1989 was his career year, finished 2nd in MVP voting and he was only 24. >>

Sierra was really hot around here. I had one dealer that paid me $0.75 each for like Topps, can't really recall the prices, but like half book on all three. Must have sold him 200 Sierra RC's.

I had money set on Bobby Bonillia. He is the undervalued one out of the '87's, and one day will sell for big money, trust me.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    where is emmitt smith and troy aikman in that football investment.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>where is emmitt smith and troy aikman in that football investment. >>

Smith's Score Supplemental/Fleer Update/Topps Traded cards may not have even been produced at the time this list came out. Aikman hadn't become the star he became as the Cowboys were pretty mediocre in 1990-- especially coming off of a 1-15 season in '89.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing Blyleven at #4 just reminds me that he should be in the HOF..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>where's Elway??? >>

Elway was considered a star QB in 1990, but his career didn't reach legendary status until late in his career with his Super Bowl wins. In 1990, he was a level below both Marino and Montana so I can understand why he wasn't included at that time.

I really like those lists. In fact, I'd put the 86 Rice at #1 on my FB list even today. And you can't argue with Ripken at #1 on the BB list either.

It's cool to see that.
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    Did anyone think that Bo Jackson could continue his 2 sport success, for years to come, in the early 90's? Seems like he'd burn out eventually. Or get injured?

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the most expensive card in PSA 8 on that list is the Carew rookie at #28. Actually for the time, it's not an awful list. Blyleven at #4 is shocking, but the only way out of whack one is the Vince Coleman RC. >>

This book was published prior to Coleman throwing lit firecrackers at fans

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think the most expensive card in PSA 8 on that list is the Carew rookie at #28. Actually for the time, it's not an awful list. Blyleven at #4 is shocking, but the only way out of whack one is the Vince Coleman RC. >>

This book was published prior to Coleman throwing lit firecrackers at fans

IMF >>

And before this gem of a quote: In 1985, Vince Coleman of the St. Louis Cardinals answered a Robinson-related query with: “I don’t know nothin’ about him. Why are you asking me about Jackie Robinson?”
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>

<< <i>where is emmitt smith and troy aikman in that football investment. >>

Smith's Score Supplemental/Fleer Update/Topps Traded cards may not have even been produced at the time this list came out. Aikman hadn't become the star he became as the Cowboys were pretty mediocre in 1990-- especially coming off of a 1-15 season in '89. >>

Yup, Aikman wasn't even the clear starter as the Cowboys struggled. Steve Walsh was waiting in the wings still and many thought it was just a matter of time until Jimmy Johnson gave his Miami quarterback the nod. Even if Emmitt had rookies cards printed at the time of this article, he came up short of the 1,000 yard mark in his rookie campaign and conventional wisdom at the time believed he was too small to have sustained success (or career) in the NFL.

Thanks for sharing this RedHeart!

Snorto~
  • Options
    stormsurgestormsurge Posts: 858 ✭✭
    This post is pure win! Thanks for posting it! image
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    So what would todays list look like?
  • Options

1. Stephen Strasburg

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just thinking...

Ya can't compare the thinking and trend that was going on back then with today.

I remember alot of investors getting into the game back then - including foreign money - the Japanese e.g.

Back then, a 52T pack made the news...

Gotta say - it was fun.

I used to set up at a few shows back then - it was alot of fun and just about everything sold.

It didn't last long tho.
    Mike
  • Options
    It would be interesting to see what the outcome would be if a person bought equal to PSA 9 copies of those cards in 1990, how much money they would have lost in 2010.